NEurope
Mikey

Think my GameCube is dying. :(

I've had my little baby GameCube since launch day in the UK, and now I think it's slowly dying. It keeps making clicking noises as it tries to read the disk, and then an error message comes up.

This is a shame, because my GameCube is getting much more use than my 360 at the moment... I'll take a picture of my baby later, and post it up... I still maintain the GameCube is THE best looking console ever. Yes, better looking than Wii and the 360 to me.

Luckily you can play 'Cube games on the Wii. Still a shame to see it die. Mines been retired to the attic with my NES, SNES and N64. Not my choice, I'm only here some weekends and holidays. If I had my own room, they'd all be next to each other all cosy like.

Mine wont die for a while. It better not. I got the Panasonic Q. I gotta tell you, I love it. It also is completely region free so it can play all games and DVD movies. What is not to love about it ^_^ Why do we have to import all the good stuff from japan.

If it dies completely, I'm going to hollow it out, and turn it in to a lunch box :)

Can you even get lens cleaner which will work with Gamecubes?

It does sound like the lens cannot focus, presuming the disc still spins up.

Use a good quality cotton bud (ie. one that does not shed fibres) or the ones made specifically for cleaning tape heads if you are feeling flush. First with a dry bud rub the lens but dont apply too much pressure. If this does not solve the problem try using a drop of the cleaner from a cd cleaning kit on the bud.

That sounds like an awful lot of work for someone who doesn't like to put a lot effort in to things..

I'm afraid you'll have to open it up. Just like I had to do with mine.

Sorry I meant to come back and edit my post, but I never got round to it. If the lens cleaning thing doesn't work its most likely because your lens has lost its focus and you will need to adjust the "pot" of your laser. If you don't want to have to spend too much extra you can get away with spending about 30p. But it is also the method most likely to fail.

For a high success rate operation you will need the following:

1 gamebit screw driver:

Here

1 Multimeter with Ohms function: (also known as a voltmeter)

I have this one does the job

The meter isn't 100% needed but will mean that it is near impossible to screw up your laser, meaning you won't have to buy a new one (like I did)

Then follow this guide:

guide is here

Edit: you may also need some small phillips screw drivers, if you don't have them already, and a very, very steady hand.

Also you need to keep the pot between a certain value which I'll update you on when I find out, or you could search the forums for broken gamecube.

Edit 2: Check out this old thread Overplaying?

However although it worked for me. This may or may not be the problem you are having with your gamecube, so its at your own risk that you go through with it.

It hasn't locked up in the past few days, maybe it was only a temporary thing. I don't think I'll bother opening it up either to be honest. I'll just wait until I get a Wii probably.

I just keep mine clean, and i've had no problems so far. It's in a semi-retired mode atm. It still gets uses now and again like when i want a stint on Wind Waker or 1080 which i did the other day.

I've had my little baby GameCube since launch day in the UK, and now I think it's slowly dying. It keeps making clicking noises as it tries to read the disk, and then an error message comes up.

This is a shame, because my GameCube is getting much more use than my 360 at the moment... I'll take a picture of my baby later, and post it up... I still maintain the GameCube is THE best looking console ever. Yes, better looking than Wii and the 360 to me.

i actually love the look too. I feels retro and i love that. 360 is ugly but really the appearance being nice is just a little bonus

Mine wont die for a while. It better not. I got the Panasonic Q. I gotta tell you, I love it. It also is completely region free so it can play all games and DVD movies. What is not to love about it ^_^ Why do we have to import all the good stuff from japan.

:o Those things are godlike. I still look through the window of my independant games retailer and drool at the sight of it. Then I see the price.

But man, that thing is a real collectors item. Hard to find, too.

Forget what I said before about the GameCube being the best looking console ever. The Panasonic Q is the best looking console ever. Haha.

nah too big and bulky. It should have been released though. I mean it could have only improved gamecube sales. they really couln't get worse

panasonic-q.jpg

gamecubeconsoles.jpg

perhaps they should have created a different controller look to it too

panasonic Q - best looking console ever

it look like a horrid mix of retro and futuristic stylings. It was a shocker.

I love my Panasonic Q. If you actually had it yourself you wouldn't complain. I actually had to disassemble it myself when I installed the chip that makes it able to play European games as well, TWICE. One wire was not properly connected and it was on the bottom of it hehe. Never had any problems with it either. It's a pleasure to play DVD's on the gamecube too. If you don't like it, too bad for you. Most people love it, and wish it was released worldwide. I actually got it right before they sold out and stopped the production. And I got it from Japan to Norway in less than three days. Fast delivery, weee. I miss liksang :(

Get a macwii. It's one option, but a better option would probably be to just look around shops for an old gamecube(or even ebay) should be able to get one for like £25 or so I reckon?

After I get a new PC, a Wii will be the next thing I buy. My GC will last until then I'm sure. It's a random error that can sometimes happen 3 times in 3 days, then not happen again for weeks.

My gamecube hasn't exactly died yet... more like its a zombie, and it only works some of the time for some of my games, heh. Lucky I can just use my Wii instead now.