NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
|Laguna|

How involved are you with politics?

Not at all really. It's never interested me personally and as much as i've tried to read articles and understand and such it just doesn't keep me interested enough. I find it ridiculous how the majority of newspaper main stories/on the news are about politics, because at the end of the day things like scientific discoveries/progression in our understanding of the world are far far far more important and fascinating.

I do A Level politics.

I hate doing A Level politics.

A Level politics killed off my interest for politics.

I think why a lot of people don't vote is because they view it as a vote wasted, for example, the area I live in has been under Conservative rule since I was born, and many people who do live in my area and do support Labour do not bother to vote as they think they'd just be wasting their vote. So in a way to remedy that, proportional representation could be introduced, as it would encourage people to vote for smaller, minority parties, like Green, or UKIP, or Respect who have policies that are specially designed, and not just in the middle like the Cons/Lab, as this way their vote would really mean something. Currently, under first past the post, if you vote for these parties it is generally a wasted vote due to the dominance of the Conservatives and Labour.

The UK Governement will never change to a form of PR though. Why would any Government change the system that got them elected in the first-place.

The UK Governement will never change to a form of PR though. Why would any Government change the system that got them elected in the first-place.

Aye, that's the problem. The only way I foresee it happening if a Labour/Conservatives have to form a collation with the Lib Dems, who will make the condition that PR is introduced. I think this happened in Scotland when Labour had to form a coalition with the Lib Dems, and the only way Labour got them to agree was to allow proportional representation in local council elections in Scotland.

Here's what would have happened, had PR been used in the last general election. As you can see, it's obvious why the Lib Dems want PR so badly.

Independentfrontpage10-05-05.jpg

I have mixed feelings about proportional representation. It certainly is more representative, but doesn't necessarily provide the most stable form of government in my opinion. Let me sleep on it...

PR does not form a stable government, because the main party will want to put through bills that the party it is allied with campaigned against in it's manifesto which could lead to the second party voting against the government which could then lead to new elections

but that's a worst case scenario :)

PR only works well in a 2 party system, since then one will have a clear majority :P

In my class at the moment we were discussing referendums that have taken place in Britain in the past, and one of them was "should Northern Ireland remain part of the United Kingdom or join the Republic of Ireland?" in 1973.

Now I, and most of my class were of the opinion that Northern Ireland should join the Republic, but looking at the actual results of the referendum, 91% of the population voted in favor of keeping Northern Ireland in the UK. Now I was wondering, how would you vote if this referendum took place tomorrow, (and if you're underage, imagine you can vote). Yes or no to keep NI in the UK?

*This is not meant to offend any people in NI btw, just opinions etc

Northern Ireland is mainly protestant and Unionist in it's population as far as I know, and therefore likely to vote for staying with the union.

Now if the referendum was held in the Republic then it's safe to say they would have voted the other way.

Northern Ireland is mainly protestant and Unionist in it's population as far as I know, and therefore likely to vote for staying with the union.

Now if the referendum was held in the Republic then it's safe to say they would have voted the other way.

Yeah, but wasn't the vote also held in England, Wales and Scotland?

in my wee part of n.i (antrim) - the DUP leader is ALWAYS elected for our wee section

100183504_9299e59711_m.jpg

this scary bugger

this man has scared the life out of me since i was about 5 and he shook my hands and practically crushes it :S....

now if there was some i could relate to - and didnt scare me - i would vote

but there isnt... im not gonna vote for the lesser of 2 evils

..well.. after years of him saying no, he (Paisley) has sat down and started negotiating with murderers (Sinn Fein)

I don't really know what will become of this wee country :hmm:

Yeah, but wasn't the vote also held in England, Wales and Scotland?

nope just Northern Ireland according to wiki

Rev. Ian Pailsey is the most scary politician in the UK :)

I find it ridiculous how the majority of newspaper main stories/on the news are about politics, because at the end of the day things like scientific discoveries/progression in our understanding of the world are far far far more important and fascinating.

Fascinating, well yeah. But more important? Politics for everyday people affects far more people, despite the fact that not many acknowledge this. For example, Labour, despite promising not to introduce top up fees, they did (*shakes fist*) and this affects you and me directly as we are both going to university, and as a consequence, we are going to be in far more debt than we would have been had maybe Labour not got into power.

Again, the Iraq war, a key political affair that has deeply affected our country. Due to this war, we have seen an insurgence of terrorism, as depicted by 7/7 bombings. This has lead to fear among people, and a strong strong increase in anti-Muslim sentiment in this country. This is a direct result of politics, and again, I come back to the "what if" situation. Had maybe the Conservatives been in power at the end, then maybe they wouldn't have been so eager to appease America, and go to war. If this had happen, I'm sure a lot more people would be alive today. :(

Politics dictates how our country is run, and those who we are elected, are sovereign, i.e. the most powerful people in this country. They have a huge power, and can, and will affect our life daily. Be it regarding the NHS, be it regarding smoking in pubs, regardless, they are without doubt one the most important parts of any society, as they define the laws by which we live.

Rant over. Sorry, have just been writing an essay for my politics, so I was in a long writing mood. :o

In my class at the moment we were discussing referendums that have taken place in Britain in the past, and one of them was "should Northern Ireland remain part of the United Kingdom or join the Republic of Ireland?" in 1973.

Now I, and most of my class were of the opinion that Northern Ireland should join the Republic, but looking at the actual results of the referendum, 91% of the population voted in favor of keeping Northern Ireland in the UK. Now I was wondering, how would you vote if this referendum took place tomorrow, (and if you're underage, imagine you can vote). Yes or no to keep NI in the UK?

*This is not meant to offend any people in NI btw, just opinions etc

I could be wrong here, but I think catholics boycotted the referendum. If they hadn't, then the vote certainly wouldn't be so one-sided.

Anyway, I'd vote with the majority, as in it should join the republic.

yeah the Republicans boycotted the vote as they wanted the people who lived in the South to get to vote as well (since this would guarantee a win) so they didn't vote and according to wiki the turnout was 58% kind of low for something as important as that

yeah the Republicans boycotted the vote as they wanted the people who lived in the South to get to vote as well (since this would guarantee a win) so they didn't vote and according to wiki the turnout was 58% kind of low for something as important as that

Well general elections are pretty important and then they only get 60% :shakehead

actually around that time turnout for General Elections was above 70%, it's just the last two GE that have had 60% turnout

Did an a-level got a c in it, my coursework that I did for it got me an A.

Was all about NRA in america and saying how they can get what they want yet theres no challenge to them in the political corridors. Got such a good mark received a letter from my teacher about 2 weeks ago stating that they are using it to show the fantastic level of their politics department.

I hate british politics but love american politics, weird huh?

Sign in to follow this