NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guyver

Trick to Boot GC Imports on your PAL Wii

I doubt they will - the eject button itself doesn't seem to be connected to the actual OS, and therefore they can't change its functions. It takes a second for the start button to face because it takes time for the Wii to notice the lack of disk - it doesn't seem to notice the pressing of the eject button any more than the GameCube.

And due to the GameCube Emulation actuallt working by making the console run in "GameCube mode", I doubt theres much Nintendo can do without risking the Backwards Compatability.

Good point actually, so the only way they could solve it is to have the wii realising that the disk is missing faster, but chances of there being a way of doing that with software is very unlikely to be honest.

Whoah, that's cool. Probably is because the disk's security is read before the actual game loads.

Bit of an amatauristic mistake, but a similar trick made the Saturn play copied games.

Dammit I still can't get it,I put the import game in then a millisecond later it turns blue and it doesn't suck in the disc.

I'll keep trying.

EDIT - Got it,I pressed the start buttong first instead of eject :heh:

I managed to get this to work on about my 5th attempt! pretty damn cool :)

Rummy, Thread name changed...is that better?

I can't seem to get Sonic Adventure working,comes up a black screen and nothing happens.

This happen to anyone else?

I sorted my problem with Mega Collection. Turns out I selected PAL in the freeloader menu out of the habit of booting pal games on my NTSC cube in the runup to Wii. :)

Selecting the US flag sorted my bordery problems.

Edit: I'll see if my copy of SADX works...

Edit 2: No problems Shadow, you might need to boot it with freeloader though. Be sure to pick the US flag after pressing Z in the menu.

Man this game was great, and thanks to its moderate speed it's still really playable. Not nearly as tight lock on mechanics and camera control as Sonic 06, but then it really doesn't need it. It doesn't maaatter now what happens I will never give up the fiiiii-iiiight!

I don't think SA works,but you can just pop in AR then boot it up.
Yeah, Tales of Symphonia would show graphical glitches and F-Zero GX would freeze on race menus, but this trick allows you to use ancient FreeLoaders and Action Replays as well. I have the old 1.06b (incompatible with Wii version) but it works extremely well.

ToS and F-Zero now run in widescreen, too, which is amazing. Shame the FreeLoader is suddenly unable to load EU games though, otherwise they'd run in widescreen too.

ToS and F-Zero now run in widescreen, too, which is amazing. Shame the FreeLoader is suddenly unable to load EU games though, otherwise they'd run in widescreen too.

Hmm? Please explain this bit. They're not widescreen otherwise? :o

I managed to get this to work on about my 5th attempt! pretty damn cool :)

Rummy, Thread name changed...is that better?

Sorry, I feel like a right pain in the arse, I dunno why I made such an abrupt post :red:.

I'm about to try this out with my old action replay, I haven't had a chance yet, I'm just curious how it works out when it comes to actually changing the discs around for it.

EDIT: I managed to boot the AR disc but with visual trouble(picture soon), then MK: DD which was fine but I hadn't checked what codes were on if any so I dunno if the AR codes work. Took me about 8 tries to get it all sorted.

Still had visual trouble with the AR, two black bars sort of bars flashing over the bottom part of the screen. PAL(got not ntsc stuff :() MK: DD played fine after booting from the AR menu, though I did select the 60hz mode for that. One thing I thought was interesting with the AR was I had the MK disc sort of sitting in the slot, cos I had put it in early then ejected it but didn't take it out so it was sitting there, and when I pressed start the screen briefly said a thing about opening the cover, but it then pulled the disc in and started. Dunno why, but I found that quite interesting.

I'm about to try this out with my old action replay, I haven't had a chance yet, I'm just curious how it works out when it comes to actually changing the discs around for it.

Isn't a problem for that part - works the same as Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 4.

When I booted up my AR to play SA,I noticed that when AR loaded a bit of the screen near the bottom was a bit fuzzy.

Not a huge issue but has it happened to anyone else,goes away when game loads up?

Also this technique is cool but it's so easy that i'm wondering why Nintendo didn't try to prevent it more.Guess Perrin was right about it being region free (or atleast playing GC games it is).

Is there a Freeloader that works with the Wii? I thought none of them worked.

There is a Freeloader that works,but only for GameCube games.

I tried swapping directly my NTSC copy of Super Monkey ball 2 and Paper mario but it didn' work (Monkey Ball showed the Sega and AV logo and then all went black, PAper mario didn't show anything at all).

But then I tried with the freeloader and it works!

So this method still needs the Freeloader, or are you guys able to boot directly NTSC games without it?

When I booted up my AR to play SA,I noticed that when AR loaded a bit of the screen near the bottom was a bit fuzzy.

Not a huge issue but has it happened to anyone else,goes away when game loads up?

Also this technique is cool but it's so easy that i'm wondering why Nintendo didn't try to prevent it more.Guess Perrin was right about it being region free (or atleast playing GC games it is).

Fuzzy? I had some flickering black bars(gonna put a picture tomorrow when im not too lazy to upload it). I STILL don't understand the point of region locking, but I guess it clearly isn't a hardware lock type thing. It is kind of easy to do, but who would have thought to try it and find it? I did get worried about my wii a bit, given that it seems to reset every time if you aren't fast enough with it all. Maybe they did consider it an issue, and made it so it reset soon after if the disc was removed, as opposed to just starting loading and then asking for the disc cover to close(like if you started a game in a gc then quickly popped the lid up, it'd ask for it to be closed?)

Region locking is about.. regions. Publishing/numbers/marketing efforts. Money really.

Your black bar problem is prolly helped by using freeloader and specifically selecting the region of the game by pressing Z before you put it in.

AHAHAHA classic!!!

just tried two games. resi 4 does load up and looks grand except it is well off center vertically but it doesnt really effect it too much due to the widescreen bars on both top and bottom being big. loaded it with the old 1.06b freeloader and it was perfect.

Mgs twin snakes didnt even need the old freeloader to help it. it was perfect.

Hmm? Please explain this bit. They're not widescreen otherwise? :o

Somehow Cube games (on GameCube) ran in widescreen on my TV. It disappeared with my Wii, but ToS suddenly ran in widescreen on my Wii, so maybe they could run on my Wii as well. I have proof pics of my PAL The Wind Waker running in widescreen in the Video Displays Explained thread (first page).

Normal 4:3 50 Hz mode

Widescreen 60 Hz mode

i just tried naruto con2 from usa, doesn't work =/

Have you tried booting up the Freeloader first then put in Naruto?

Maybe we should start a list of the games that don't work with the method and a list of the games that only work using the Freeloader.

Sign in to follow this