NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nintenchris

HD tv's

Go with the one odwin suggested, can be found for under £600 if you look around. Ive got and it is teh shit. Is the tv that microsoft use when demoing the xbox 360. Has the hd features you need as well.

what about using PC monitors? I've heard they give near HD quality and are a lot cheaper than buying a HDTV. Is the quality between the 2 much different?

There are two versions of that samsung one, there both the same apart from the one oli linked too has freeview.

Ebuyer were doing a 42" Plasma TV for £800 a couple of days ago. It said "HD-TV ready," whatever that means.

That Samsungs not bad at all, certainly the best of the cheaper ones by quite a way. If I was buying to that sort of budget it'd probably be top of my list.

what about using PC monitors? I've heard they give near HD quality and are a lot cheaper than buying a HDTV. Is the quality between the 2 much different?

Completely ignore schpickles' response, it was of no real use.

HDTV can be expressed in a few different ways; the resolution Microsoft requires all its games to now be made in on the Xbox 360 is 720p.

What this means is a resolution of 1280x720.

If your monitor can support that, then yes, you get the full quality (just depends on how you get the video to your monitor).

Sony is trying to tout that they can output 1080p, which is 1920x1080 progressive, whereas Microsoft say they can output 1080i if needed (1920x1080 interlaced). Interlaced is effectively half the frame rate, and is used on all common domestic TV systems to save bandwidth, displays the even lines one frame, than the odd lines the next frame).

Of course the main point about all this is that TVs tend to be cheaper than the monitors of the same size, because of quality concerns. TVs have overscan to make sure you use up all the screen and are really still rather imprecise.

To sum it up, it's mostly size. TVs are cheaper for larger sizes.

Sign in to follow this