N-Europe

Capcom says Wii is for kids!

Dante

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it would help if people would make more mature games for it instead of all the movie spin offs.

its realy the developers fault i mean look at the nintendo first party lanch titles (north america)

zelda- reasonably mature (first zelda to have a teen rating)

excite truck- also not realy desined for little kids (it just feels that way when i play it. a little kid would lose his patiece fast)

wii sports- well if you read the e-mail it sends you when you do your fitness testing you will learn that the game is designed for people over 20

not really a "kid friendly" launch line up in ntsc regions is their

wii sports- well if you read the e-mail it sends you when you do your fitness testing you will learn that the game is designed for people over 20

Well that was the same with brain training.

Wii sports however...most fridays I go over to my friends house where there whole family plays the Wii.

One of the family is a 5 year old who gets alright scores on most wii sports games which in itself is incredible easy to play and master. Alongside its cutesy graphical style its fair to assume that it is designed for children alongside adults.

Thats the point in the Wii, they want all age groups to be involved. Now if thats a good or bad thing can be debated as now its obvious that Capcom are realizing this. If more and more developers start believing that Wii is not a hardcore audience but filled with housewives and children then we may be in serious trouble software wise for the future.

It may rely on how much Red Steel, Zelda and Call of Duty sell to prove them otherwise. However, Capcom being a Japanese company will prioritize Japan. From what I believe, in Japan the Wii isn't marketing to hardcore gamers so maybe Capcoms attack is justified within its own region which is a shame because generally Japanese countries don't develop specifically for the west.

You fail to realise though that its not capcom's fault, if nintendo would mature up some of its games, like a bit of blood in zelda and in metroid, and thats it the only truely teen targeted franchise nintendo has is zelda and metroid.

If they invested correctly from the early 90's they could of had many mature franchises that they owned but no. Its not the kids now that buy games its the 18-30 male gamer.

Blood in Zelda would be the first sign of the apocalypse, surely.

I wonder though, what "kiddy" means in this case. For me, games that are extremely easy, simple and shallow - like those Bob the Builder games for PC I suppose - are kiddy. They're kiddy because they're games simple enough for kids to play them, and they hold no appeal in terms of mechanics or challenge to a seasoned gamer.

To me, kiddy isn't so much about themes, it's the expected "intellect" and "understanding" of the audience. For me, a game like Mario was never kiddy, because it poses a challenge to me in my 20s. Is Sonic "kiddy?", did angry Shadow with guns really make those games more "mature?". I think the distinction there is purely made on part of the person who finds a blue hedgehog stupid. I dunno if that alone makes it kiddy though.

So when Capcom say kiddy, does that mean Bob the Builder kiddy or Megaman "kiddy?". Because if it's the latter I can't bring myself to care, I think Megaman games are way cool. :)

Bright colours and fantastic musical scores are for everyone, not just kids.

Hear hear!!

This comment from capcom surprises me really. I didn't think they would be so shallow and close minded about the nature of videogames. Wait until Resi Wii is phenomenally successful and then they'll have to rethink! Honestly, some people can't see past the end of their nose.

You fail to realise though that its not capcom's fault, if nintendo would mature up some of its games, like a bit of blood in zelda and in metroid, and thats it the only truely teen targeted franchise nintendo has is zelda and metroid.
What would it really add to the gameplay? Blood splatter in the game is such a minimal feature. They are a fantasy and science fiction game, the monsters aren't even supposed to have blood in the tradional sense.

What would it really add to the gameplay? Blood splatter in the game is such a minimal feature. They are a fantasy and science fiction game, the monsters aren't even supposed to have blood in the tradional sense.

But when link is attacked, surely. Plus it doesn't need to add anything - just my having a higher rating on a videogame could convince non gamers that it isn't a kiddy machine

For me personally I regard the wii as a kids system simply as. Its because I like epic games, kids don't so they do minigame compilations until the cows come home.

I want games like blue dragon/lost oddyssey/final fantasy( not crystal chronicles because thats at heart a stupid game that should of never been made)/ ninja gaiden.

Therefore for me I have a 360 but I know I will have to purchase a ps3, before I buy any more games for my wii. Plus I packed it away.

If they invested correctly from the early 90's they could of had many mature franchises that they owned but no. Its not the kids now that buy games its the 18-30 male gamer.

I agree here, Nintendo sets the stage for the type of software that is found on its consoles. 3rd parties are simply following suit here. Wii Sports , Wii Play, Wario Ware....what do these games have in common?

short length

simple graphics

family oriented themes

cheap, quick development cycles

blockbuster sales

3rd parties would be crazy to put forth anymore effort or cost in their games than Nintendo itself does.

But when link is attacked, surely. Plus it doesn't need to add anything - just my having a higher rating on a videogame could convince non gamers that it isn't a kiddy machine

For me personally I regard the wii as a kids system simply as. Its because I like epic games, kids don't so they do minigame compilations until the cows come home.

Non gamers are the ones that don't buy those so-called mature games. The 'maturising' of the game industry with the PS1 has caused the degrading of sales in the first place, as the 'mature' games were too hardcore, so people didn't continue gaming after the (S)NES. The reason why the NES was so incredibly successful is because even the 'mature' games seemed innocent out of simplicity, and many adults liked it that way. Same goes for the PS2. Which games sold the most? Exactly, SingStar, Guitar Hero, Eyetoy and that stupid quiz game, not GTA. Those games were aimed at a mature/late teen audience and made the PS2 last a lot longer, yet they weren't filled with blood spatters but aimed to bring in as much non-gamers as possible.

The ranking doesn't boost your sales, I don't know where you got that idea.

It's easy generalising those kids by the way. You seem to know exactly how the gaming industry works, don't you?

But the question is do you want a system actually aimed at delievering SingStar, Guitar Hero, Eyetoy style games as opposed to GTA's, Final Fantasy's and Metal Gear Solids?

I hope the Wii doesn't stay in the minigame rut with third party developers. Maybe once Metriod is released and Zelda sales come in it might change.