NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
motion

Samsung LE32R74BDX - 32'' Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV

I've got the earlier model in that size. Absolute beauty of a set, but be aware the Wii looks dogshit on all HDTVs via component and anything in standard definition is going to look far worse than on a CRT.

What would you be using it for?

the tv is awesome, as the3rdchildren said wii looks crap, however the xbox360/ps3 look stunning @ 720p, one thing that might annoy u, is that it auto dimms when ever there is a dark scene and auto brights up when there is a light scene annoying at first but u get used to it

all in all a fantastic tv

the tv is awesome, as the3rdchildren said wii looks crap, however the xbox360/ps3 look stunning @ 720p, one thing that might annoy u, is that it auto dimms when ever there is a dark scene and auto brights up when there is a light scene annoying at first but u get used to it

all in all a fantastic tv

You can turn that off in the menu on mine. Not sure about the newer models.

There are auto volume and auto brightness options you can turn off.

Thanks guys, well to be honest 3rd it would really be for Wii-ing and I'd like to maybe pick up a PS3 or 360 so that too.

I was hoping it would look good with the Wii though :(

I have the LE26R72 model that is probably very similar to that one. I use it to play wii and although it's not as good as a CRT it looks good anyway (with component cables). HD content looks awesome on it though.

You can turn that off in the menu on mine. Not sure about the newer models.

There are auto volume and auto brightness options you can turn off.

I can do that on my TV, but i have to enter the code to get to the service menu. The option is not on the normal menu.

Thanks guys, well to be honest 3rd it would really be for Wii-ing and I'd like to maybe pick up a PS3 or 360 so that too.

I was hoping it would look good with the Wii though :(

wii looks decent @ 480p, but beware you will be jaggie hell

I guess I was just seduced by the Samsung's looks.

That one looks like a good bet as well Switch, thanks.

Will all 32" HDTV's look bad with the Wii or is it just the Samsung?

Some handle SD better than others, but generally stuff looks inferior in SD.

This is more to do with LCD not being as capable as CRT, if a manufacturer made a decent HD CRT it would wipe the floor with every LCD out there.

So would the 32" HD Samsung look worse than a 42" SD CRT (what I'm using now).

What about dvds? television?

Surely it can't look THAT bad otherwise it wouldn't be so popular?

Sorry to ask so my questions.

Sorry, what do you mean by SD?

To sum it up quick:

Normall Stuff, like TV, DVD's, Gamecubes Look crap.

High Def Stuff like like XBOX360s, High def Sky, blu ray movies etc look awsome.

Will all 32" HDTV's look bad with the Wii or is it just the Samsung?

Compared to other brands, i've heard that the Samsung LCDs do some of the best SD out there (except the CRTs of course). I'm happy with mine, even for the Wii, as long as you use component cables with it.

That's pretty rubbish then surely?? Why bother?

Bugger

Bragging rights, tbh i think thats the reason for 90% of HDTVs sold.

Unfortunately, if you need a new TV there isn't really a lot of choice out there. It might be worth a look at SD CRT sets if you can pick up a decent one on the cheap to tide you over for a couple of years otherwise its the HD LCD route (assuming you don't have a grand lying around for a Plasma).

I bought my HDTV for three reasons.

Xbox360, high definition and the Xbox 360 in high definition.

Can't help but wish I'd waited, considering how rapidly the prices are dropping on them now, but now HD DVDs and stuff are showing up more commonly it'll prove a far more worthy investment than it did a year ago.

Component can be used in any TV that supports it. The thing is that most old CRTs don't support and almost all HDTVs support it.

But if you're really buying an HDTV make sure you use component, it makes a big difference.

And yet I'll get a worse picture for Zelda TP on a 32" HDTV with component than on a 42" CRT with composite??

What a joke.

No. Component on a HDTV will look way better than composite on a normal TV (anyone who says otherwise must have a REALLY crap HDTV). Component on a regular TV would probably look better than component on a HDTV though (concerning the Wii, anyway). It's because the resolution on a HDTV screen is so high compared to a regular TV, so the picture is upscaled. So it loses quality. And the Wii was designed (resolution wise) to best work on lower standard TV resolutions. But really, if you get a good set the Wii can look bloody fantastic through component on a HDTV. Not sure if this helps, but I think I remember hearing that all the TVs Nintendo showed the Wii off on at events were Samsungs (so Nintendo must prefer them). On my Hitachi 32" through component my games look pretty good, but Zelda...not so good. It's not terrible, just knowhere near as good as I'd hoped. Of course, I have a lot of backlight bleed and picture issues on my TV (which is why we're currently exchanging). But dude, if you're just doing it for your Wii, you'd be much better getting a official RGB scart for your wii (make sure you put it in the proper RGB scart, most TVs only have 1 RGB input, even if they have many scart sockets). RGB on standard for Nintendo has always been excellent. I remember how awesome my Cube games looked...through the Wii on component on a HDTV...yuck. But if you really are considering that TV, just remember that Samsungs next 32" model N73 (update to R7 one I believe) is within £100 or even less distance at most places.

Sign in to follow this