Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac Thread

Charlie

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the best software to use to run XP on a mac?

Bootcamp, presumably. Unless you want to go the virtualization route.

I'm thinking about getting a Mac Mini, but might wait a few months so that I can get Leopard with it rather than having to fork out for it at a later date.

Whats the best software to use to run XP on a mac?

there are 4 options (but only 3 that you'll want to consider so i wont mention the 4th)

1. boot camp- boot into windows and fully be running windows

2. parallels- almost like virtual pc(wich was option 4) but way faster

3. crossovers- you don't even need a copy of windows (runs alot like x11 aparently)

i'd go with paralles (though i'm just basing that off what my dad told me as he has a mac book pro and i just have a power book g4

there are 4 options (but only 3 that you'll want to consider so i wont mention the 4th)

1. boot camp- boot into windows and fully be running windows

2. parallels- almost like virtual pc(wich was option 4) but way faster

3. crossovers- you don't even need a copy of windows (runs alot like x11 aparently)

i'd go with paralles (though i'm just basing that off what my dad told me as he has a mac book pro and i just have a power book g4

Same, my Japanese teacher has just got a MacBook and he needs to use windows for some of the software he has to use daily and he has parallels, i'll probably just do that because its whats mentioned on the apple site.

Whats this about waiting for leopard? is it really going to change that much to justify a wait? . . .

Why are you getting a Mac if you want to run Windows on it?

To be fair, it is pretty useful to be able to boot up Windows from time to time, as there are some apps that don't run on Mac, and there's the whole Windows Media DRM issue. If and when I get an Intel Mac I'll definately be getting XP/Vista and installing it via Boot Camp. Although OS X will still be my primary OS, of course!

I have a Mac and I love it. Few things annoy me, being used to Windows, but that's not important stuff. (The most irritating thing is that I can't seem to find a shortcut for toggling between to active MSN Messenger-conversations.)

However, I really need a simple drawing programme! Like MSPaint. I've tried a few but they were lame. Unfortunately, I don't remember their names. The most important things I need is copying graphs from GraphPlotter and editing these by adding straight lines and some text. Really simple tasks, really, but I haven't found a programme that does this easy enough. Does anyone know of such programme?

(Please excuse my English at the moment - just had three weeks' vacation from everything school-related except math.)

I have a Mac and I love it. Few things annoy me, being used to Windows, but that's not important stuff. (The most irritating thing is that I can't seem to find a shortcut for toggling between to active MSN Messenger-conversations.)

However, I really need a simple drawing programme! Like MSPaint. I've tried a few but they were lame. Unfortunately, I don't remember their names. The most important things I need is copying graphs from GraphPlotter and editing these by adding straight lines and some text. Really simple tasks, really, but I haven't found a programme that does this easy enough. Does anyone know of such programme?

(Please excuse my English at the moment - just had three weeks' vacation from everything school-related except math.)

Can't Appleworks help you out? It is the entire office suite in one, a little old and limited, but you got a good replacement for paint in there. it should be on your Mac this very moment. And toggling between chat windows: do you make use of exposé? When i have many windows open expose is a true help: F9 oshows all windows, F10 only the ones of the application you're working in and F11 directs you to the desktop. That replaced the taskbar by far and it looks silky.

Can't Appleworks help you out? It is the entire office suite in one, a little old and limited, but you got a good replacement for paint in there. it should be on your Mac this very moment. And toggling between chat windows: do you make use of exposé? When i have many windows open expose is a true help: F9 oshows all windows, F10 only the ones of the application you're working in and F11 directs you to the desktop. That replaced the taskbar by far and it looks silky.

I don't have that programme. I think you'd have to pay for it and I didn't - bought the Microsoft Office 2004 suite.

Yeah, I use that sometimes but it really is a bit slow and such. Well. I just point and click now.

Ditch MSN for Mac and get Adium. The best messenger software for Mac in my opinion.

I would use Adium but for 2 things..

1) You can't use or see personal messages/music being listened to

2) Other people's display pics don't change very often even if they get changed.

If they fix those two things I'll move back to it.

If you want a good messenger with all the features that are in microsoft's original one on windows, get mercury (http://www.mercury.to) - it doesn't work like a treat, but it has a lot of cuntionality. Works fine, but looks crappy and is kind of slow. But you get used to it.

I remember Appleworks on my mac, I've usef it! But I can't find it anymore... It used to be a free program on your mac, no paying necessary. And there's no pâînt in Microsoft Office X, is there? Ah well.

• 2 weeks later...
1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!