Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac Thread

Charlie

Didn't say it was . . . speed isn't something that springs to mind when i think of a video player, a good browser must be able to display most content and be damn fast.

Quicktime on windows is slow at decoding videos (not at starting up) - eg. HD videos will stutter on a system that is quite capable of playing them with other video players. It's badly made.

I say this because I wonder if Safari (which you say should be damn fast) will suffer from similar bad programming on Windows.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quicktime on windows is slow at decoding videos (not at starting up) - eg. HD videos will stutter on a system that is quite capable of playing them with other video players. It's badly made.

I say this because I wonder if Safari (which you say should be damn fast) will suffer from similar bad programming on Windows.

Safari is fast when started up on Windows (faster than IE7, in my personal experience), but starting it takes too long. I personally have an opinion here: If they would use the GUI graphics that are already in Vista or XP, it would be a ton faster. I've got the same experience with iTunes and Quicktime on Windows.

On mac all these services work like a treat, but it's very sad that the update to Safari 3.0 Didn't change the visual interface at all (it's still brushed metal, while I'de rather have the plastic look they're pushing in Leopard - and the look is already in there, mail.app uses it).

Has anyone had problems with Safari 3.0 beta ?

I have downloaded it (to stick on my G4 ibook) but after reading around , it seems there are plenty of people that have experienced all sorts of nightmares getting the thing installed/working and that has kind of put me off trying it out.

I am happy with my Camino anyway , so maybe I would be best served waiting for the final Safari release.

On the Windows sides of things its working good :)

anyways, Guys today I will be going to the Apple store (B'ham) to get me my shiny new Macbook Pro. I'm looking to get my student discount on it...what shall I take with me other then my student card? and is there any offers instore that i shouldknow abouts?

Thank ya! :)

Apart from the Restart it was real smooth for me. The drag-and-drop plus Bookmark All Tabs stuff is great.

On the Windows sides of things its working good :)

anyways, Guys today I will be going to the Apple store (B'ham) to get me my shiny new Macbook Pro. I'm looking to get my student discount on it...what shall I take with me other then my student card? and is there any offers instore that i shouldknow abouts?

Thank ya! :)

I just took my debit card and my student card. I would recommend using your student discount with 3-year AppleCare. It's about £60 pounds, which I think is something close to half price, and that is three years of top-notch Apple repair service, meaning you can take your Mac into the store whenever you have a problem and they will sort you out right away. The individual parts/services are much, drastically more expensive.

You get one year free, incidentally.

Apart from the Restart it was real smooth for me. The drag-and-drop plus Bookmark All Tabs stuff is great.

I just took my debit card and my student card. I would recommend using your student discount with 3-year AppleCare. It's about £60 pounds, which I think is something close to half price, and that is three years of top-notch Apple repair service, meaning you can take your Mac into the store whenever you have a problem and they will sort you out right away. The individual parts/services are much, drastically more expensive.

You get one year free, incidentally.

Awesome dude, anyone else who want to add to this I'd be much gratefull :yay:

Awesome dude, anyone else who want to add to this I'd be much gratefull :yay:

get a mighty mouse and if your planning to keep your mac book pro on a stand be sure to buy and APPLE keyboard (there are some differences in the keyboard) you may also want to think about getting a copy of iWork.

be sure to take a look over Caris' first post to find out about other software.

and if you don't already have one buy a wireless router (apple sells two different models but you could also but a 3rd party one)

edit: i just noticed the activity bar at the bottom of the safari window was gone

On mac all these services work like a treat, but it's very sad that the update to Safari 3.0 Didn't change the visual interface at all (it's still brushed metal, while I'de rather have the plastic look they're pushing in Leopard - and the look is already in there, mail.app uses it).

That's just for the Tiger Beta, although I'm sure you know this.

Also, if you don't use Excel UziT, I would go with iWork over Office, although both suites are getting updates pretty soon so you might want to hold out and use a free alternative for a while.

Also, if you don't use Excel UziT, I would go with iWork over Office, although both suites are getting updates pretty soon so you might want to hold out and use a free alternative for a while.

Thanks Emasher and Haver,

Yea I'll be geting the mighty mouse, main reason I will be geting this laptop is for my Web Development course for college and oh yea me wireless router is on order :). Dont think I'll be geting iWork wont be using it much, maybe download the freebie one off the net

APP for students is about £60 on the MBP as opposed to a non discount price of £279.99.

My mighty mouse scroll ball is starting to annoy, the keyboard is a really great one and it's surprisingly useful having it wireless. Also the fact that the mighty mouse uses lasers means it's super accurate on any surface as opposed to the slightly dodgy optical ones.

Still, even Windows®-users have the nice plastic style, why can't we mac fans have our thing, too? It still looks butt-ugly compared to my standard firefox... And I disliked Safari ever since it annoyed me with it's slowdown when loading engadget and frequent errors when doing so, stopping the program to work. Personally, my mac isn't in that great shape, I think. But I treated it well...

Ah well, I'll be getting a new one as soon as I get leopard on board with it.

wooot! i got the mac, everything went smoooooth, dude sorted everything out but one thing is he said just do not get the apple mighty mouse, my dad was with me his like yea if saves money, I'm like....god...lol, I think I have a wired mouse somewhere so i'll hook that up!

So far so good, i'm loving it!

I think I prefer the brushed aluminum. But these are matters of taste.

The only problem I've had with Safari is with weird homebrew video apps, which it doesn't seem to like.

I find the Plastic style less cluttery and more, say, modern. That's why I prefer it (and the reason I can't wait for Leopard).

Good luck with your fancy new mac, Uzit! And try to do everything with it. You can't really break the operating system :wink:.

I find the Plastic style less cluttery and more, say, modern. That's why I prefer it (and the reason I can't wait for Leopard).

Good luck with your fancy new mac, Uzit! And try to do everything with it. You can't really break the operating system :wink:.

Cheers dude, I have one probs though. I hav had it on charge for at least 3hours or so but the battery is god red now =( its been charging with out use!

Yeah I agree, I'm not a fan of the brushed metal, I much prefer the plastic look of iTunes.

Cheers dude, I have one probs though. I hav had it on charge for at least 3hours or so but the battery is god red now =( its been charging with out use!

go to the menu bar and se how full the battery icon is (you can also go "battery icon" > show > Percentage. to see how full the battery actually is. (the light won't be green until its in the high 90s)

mac book pros take a while to charge

go to the menu bar and se how full the battery icon is (you can also go "battery icon" > show > Percentage. to see how full the battery actually is. (the light won't be green until its in the high 90s)

mac book pros take a while to charge

It wasnt charging because I did not have it plugged into the mains, I had it on an extension lead! silly me

Thanks anways

Does anyone else think iPhoto is pretty crap? It's missing some key features such as being able to rename the actual files in the program and such.

You can in the 'Information' pane.

I've used it pretty heavily since I got my new camera and it has worked out well, both for filing and editing.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!