Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mac Thread

Charlie

Okay I have a problem!

Front Row.

I downloaded codecs to let me watch .avi files on Quick Time. It does this fine and works perfectly. But, when I go to watch these movies using the Front Row it then just freezes for a split second and fades to the desktop.

Anyone know how to fix this?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the first mac everyone here had

for me it was a mac classic but my parents have an apple 2 (which isn't actually a mac) before i was born

The earliest I have is a Mac Classic, but the earliest I bought was an iBook G4

Same here!

Yeah, it's a great machine. Nearly two years old now and still running like new. I hope to keep it for another year, then buy a new MacBook or possibly a MacBook pro before I leave uni, to take advantage of the educational discounts.

What's the best video converter for Mac? .mpg and .avi to .mov is needed. Although my Quicktime (with the help of codecs) can save the .avi's to .mov it then doesn't preview properly on Front Row. So I'm hoping if I convert using a different program it might.

Whats the point of having Parallels if all the intel Macs can run Windows?...or am I just completely wrong?

if you don't want to re-boot to acess it

parallels runs exactly like bootcamp only in a window and with more options

if you don't want to re-boot to acess it

parallels runs exactly like bootcamp only in a window and with more options

If you had Windows installed and then had Parallels would you be able to access the stuff from your Windows partirion?

Didn't you just buy one?

ype but i needed it when i got it, so i'm not bothered, still i always like seeing new stuff go up. Gives me a warm feeling inside.

Got mine the 16/04

NVidia graphics card thing GeForce 8600M GT, an extra gig of RAM and a 0.04 GHZ increase to speed on the basic model. But it does now support up to 4GB RAM where as mine only does upto 3GB

LED display is nice!

The new 15-inch MacBook Pro models feature a new power-efficient LED-backlit display and are the first of Apple's notebooks to transition to LED backlighting as part of the company's effort to eliminate the use of mercury in its products

50% faster than the original MacBook Pro is significant and that graphics card looks purdy!. I'm just glad they kept the same price ^_^

What's the best video converter for Mac? .mpg and .avi to .mov is needed. Although my Quicktime (with the help of codecs) can save the .avi's to .mov it then doesn't preview properly on Front Row. So I'm hoping if I convert using a different program it might.

I'm gonna answer your question, since nobody here actually helps (htey mostly blab on about how good their new-bought apple-fancy is):

get iSquint

It can convert anything into 'I(heart)iTunes'-movies, and there's enough options. Only outputs .mov, or .mp4, though - it should solve your problem, no? Oh, get the free one.

Ah thank you very much Mr. Jasper and I do agree about the jabbering. This is why I think the Mac thread should be unstuck and new threads about separate things should be allowed.

Cheers again, matey.

Nice to know those two articles. The man has a point on MacOS X being apple-bound ("hey, it's DRM, too!"), but on the other hand, from a business point-of-view you could understand why they're doing that. if Apple did ever release the system for any computer, they're sure to increase their market share and double, what did I say? Triple it if they want to.

But then again, their hardware sales would sink to rock-botoom and in the end, they're charging the machines over $400 too much and in theory you buy a mac for the OS, not? They're greatest card in their hand is their OS, the rest just makes profits of this.

Wes: perhaps you're right. Everyone is just mostly talking about his own mac all the time and discussing what the future might bring for them with their macs (like égoing to the golden mountains and seeing a silver sun rise in the land of Oz, together - me and my mac!").

General curiosity; why is it in the media Macs are featured more? Is it because the rights to show them is less, or because Apple actively encourages it?

Just cause I keep spotting them; Diet Coke ad, Veronica Mars, Dexter, Neighbours apparently (don't watch, but my mom said so) and lot of other places.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!