NEurope
Charlie

Mac Thread

;465193]General curiosity; why is it in the media Macs are featured more? Is it because the rights to show them is less' date=' or because Apple actively encourages it?

Just cause I keep spotting them; Diet Coke ad, Veronica Mars, Dexter, Neighbours apparently (don't watch, but my mom said so) and lot of other places.[/quote']

Because Apple is a fancy-man product. it's cool having one lately and because they simply look good. Apple has barely anything to do with this (no company asks for charges when their computers are on display). it's just because apple is trendy now.

Because Apple is a fancy-man product. it's cool having one lately and because they simply look good. Apple has barely anything to do with this (no company asks for charges when their computers are on display). it's just because apple is trendy now.

QF F(alse)

Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex and the City!

Apple has always been trendy, just more so since OS 9 died.

Hmm fair enough.

That could be their next slogan; "Perfect for P.I.s, sex columnist writers or serial killers!"

I think that covers 70% of the population.

Apple has always been trendy, just more so since OS 9 died.

i've never owned a computer that wasn't a mac yet in my neiborhood i'm not so "cool" :wtf:

I moved a few of the posts to the Mac vs PC thread, they were more suited to being in there

Anyone know when the new macbook pro's going to be ready to buy? I tried ring the one in Bullring B'ham, no one is picking up :weep:

Anyone know when the new macbook pro's going to be ready to buy? I tried ring the one in Bullring B'ham, no one is picking up :weep:

No one ever picks up, and yep it'll be the new ones.

The new MBPs are hot, makes me wish I had a spare £1300 knocking about :(

No one ever picks up, and yep it'll be the new ones.

thank ya, tomorrow will be the day I get a mac! :yay:

are they the next generation or just an improved version of the current ones

Improved version I guess...

Improved versions, new graphics card, same HDD, more RAM, LED Screen, slightly faster processors, same gorgeous design.

same gorgeous design.

i knew that they havent changed the design of the proffesional laptops at least since the g4 era

maybe longer

i knew that they havent changed the design of the proffesional laptops at least since the g4 era

maybe longer

True enough. Still nice though

True enough. Still nice though

Nice because it's Apple? Again? I find a PowerBook G4 far from attractive (the keyboard is plain ugly) and I don't fancy the metalcasing design. But hey, Takeo, it's Apple - so it just has to be prettty, no?

Nice because it's Apple? Again? I find a PowerBook G4 far from attractive (the keyboard is plain ugly) and I don't fancy the metalcasing design. But hey, Takeo, it's Apple - so it just has to be prettty, no?

fuck off.

I like the MacBook Pro design, and thats what my comment was about. I like it because it's nice and elegant, only thing that annoys is the DVD drive being on the bottom.

MacBook Pro CCFL vs LED Display

I find a PowerBook G4 far from attractive

I think you'll find a lot of people disagree with you there. The PB/MBP is sexy, no doubt about it. And stop having a go at people for praising Apple, we all know that secretly you're the bigest Apple fanboy there is, and that you spend your evenings in a dark room wanking over pictures of Steve Jobs on your 30" cinema display. :p

I think you'll find a lot of people disagree with you there. The PB/MBP is sexy, no doubt about it. And stop having a go at people for praising Apple, we all know that secretly you're the bigest Apple fanboy there is, and that you spend your evenings in a dark room wanking over pictures of Steve Jobs on your 30" cinema display. :p

lmfao classic, like Takeo said to me once Apple is Nintendo of the Computer businesss,

your treading on dangerous ground there

Time to put this thread back on track guys, it isn't an overflow for the PC vs Mac thread. Go back to discussing iLife or whatever wierdness it is you mac people like to talk about :p

On one of the Peep Show commentary tracks David and Rob riff on how the proportion of Macs on telly is inversely proportional to the Mac market share, i.e. 95% of computers on telly are Macs but 95% of computers IRL are PCs with the Windows OS. That's why Mark has a PC on the show.

They also use Macs on the West Wing, by the by.

Also, has anyone seen Pirates of Silicon Valley? It's a made-for-TV movie about the rise of/competition between Apple and Microsoft/Jobs and Gates. It's narrated by (actors playing) Woz and Ballmer. The writer or director, can't remember which, claims to have at least two sources for each scene.

Steve comes off pretty bad. He's obviously incredibly driven. I sympathise with him though. He has a big ego and he doesn't treat people all that great but I think you have to if you're going to do Big Things, for good or ill. It's like Hunter Thompson. He had a huge ego, but it was part of the job description. You have to have that confidence.

lmfao classic, like Takeo said to me once Apple is Nintendo of the Computer businesss,

I can definately see where you're coming from with the Apple = Nintendo thing but consider this:

Apple Macs are (generally) more expensive than it's competitors

Apple Macs exclude choice more than the competitors (OS X tie in only on Apple machines, Ipod/Itunes) and forces you to pay over the odds for functionality you might not need (No budget hardware options, possibility of changing hardware)

Macs are generally considered to have a better build quality than the competition.

Now replace "Apple Macs" with "PS3s".

I'm not trying to start an argument here BTW, just something I was thinking about earlier. Apple as a company are similar to Nintendo with the whole "Underdog makes good, innovative products" thing. But the Mac (to me) is similar to the PS3 with the whole "Expensive, lack of choice, all or nothing" thing.

I can definately see where you're coming from with the Apple = Nintendo thing but consider this:

Apple Macs are (generally) more expensive than it's competitors

Apple Macs exclude choice more than the competitors (OS X tie in only on Apple machines, Ipod/Itunes) and forces you to pay over the odds for functionality you might not need (No budget hardware options, possibility of changing hardware)

Macs are generally considered to have a better build quality than the competition.

Now replace "Apple Macs" with "PS3s".

I'm not trying to start an argument here BTW, just something I was thinking about earlier. Apple as a company are similar to Nintendo with the whole "Underdog makes good, innovative products" thing. But the Mac (to me) is similar to the PS3 with the whole "Expensive, lack of choice, all or nothing" thing.

Actually PS3 has more "choice" than Nintendo.

If you buy a Xbox360 or a Wii your forced to buy Offical MS Memory Unit or Hard Drive, with the Wii it's the same sort of thing.

While on the PS3, it allows any HDD to be put in, any make blue tooth headset, any Memory Card.

Not really an important point, but i just wanted to get it off my chest.

If you buy a Xbox360 or a Wii your forced to buy Offical MS Memory Unit or Hard Drive, with the Wii it's the same sort of thing.

Dont you just buy/use whatever SD cards you want on the Wii though? lol

Yes, but on the Wii you have to buy a offical Lan adaptor, a Official power pack, rummors of a official Hard Drive etc.