Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

ndreamer

Put it this way, I'll be pleased when I've beaten the final Legacy Boss...

...On the other hand, I can't wait to complete Erdrick's outfit this May (Armour + Gauntlets) and I'm 100% up-to-date with my Quests, which I enjoy very much. Every time I do one, I think to myself how much I like the game. It's so smooth, so perfect. The game engine, the villages, almost everything. I've played other DS games since, but nothing has a place in my heart like DQIX.

Yep, only a couple of months left of new DLC quest now. Hard to believe it's almost been a year now. Still need to get my hero to +9 and loads of Legacy bosses to beat. Got a few DLC quests as well but I need a high level water grotto.

Took a break to play Pokemon (well, apart from my daily check of the DQVC), but thinking about going back to this, played a bit over the weekend. DQVI is out in 2 weeks as well.

Was just looking at some of the earlier screenshots and it's quite amazing how much the game has changed since it was first shown. Stornway can actually be seen in the early screenshots and it doesn't look like it changed much despite a lot else has.

^Almost done all the quests myself (joined a japanese game and character came back with all quests, sadly not the guests though...) Just that damn Bustier quest. Still not got one.

100% monsters.

100% items.

89% wardrobe.

84% alchemy.

I can't believe some of the alchemy stuff requires you to make the ultimate weapon/armour, but then to complete the alchemy dex you have to destroy them with resets to finish it. All that effort and then to throw them away, having to make them again if you want to use them. That's just EVIL.

I can't believe some of the alchemy stuff requires you to make the ultimate weapon/armour, but then to complete the alchemy dex you have to destroy them with resets to finish it. All that effort and then to throw them away, having to make them again if you want to use them. That's just EVIL.

Yeah, and if you're lucky enough to get the Alchemiracle, it doesn't even fill out the entry for the "normal" version!

• 2 weeks later...

I've waited 10 months for this. I've prepared meticulously: found a high-ranking ice Grotto, found a Blight Knight, made sure I had all the ingredients ready, and...

[spoiler=]ErdricksArmournoGauntlets.jpg

...it doesn't look as good as I thought it would. :heh:

No shoes?

No, or anything for the legs. I can only assume Erdrick walked about barefoot with no trousers!

Is Erdricks stuff the best in the game and will I ever gather it all for my hero? :heh:

Ooh, tough question. It's generally the nicest-looking (shield and helm anyway). The helmet is one of the few (the only?) that protects against Paralysis, which is a big bonus for me. The shield has a 15% block chance (assuming you've got the permanent 6% block chance from the Shield skill), which is only beaten by the rare 3-Orb (15.5%) version of the Grotto Boss drop or the Alchemiracle version of that (16%). As you can imagine, making three Devilry Drinkers is hard enough, and the Alchemiracle version is medium-hard too (I haven't got it), so Erdrick's Shield is still very useful for my Hero. As I say, he also wears the helm, so it matches well.

The armour and gauntlets are nothing special at all. You're better off with Metal King.

Basically, the top 3 armour sets in the game are Erdrick's, Metal King and the Victorious/Legendary range (ie. the 2% drops). I would say the highlight for me was getting the full Metal King gear, but Erdrick's Helmet and Shield never go out of fashion.

As for whether you'll gather it, the only tough part is finding a Blight Knight in a high-quality ice Grotto.

Whats left on your DQ IX objective list Grazza?

The main thing is to beat the last three Legacy Bosses at level 99. After that I'm going to think about completing the Alchemy and Wardrobe, although I have been lazy with connecting to DQVC lately, so I'm not sure if the latter will be possible.

This week was the final guest character. :(

Completed the RotoErdrick's stuff though :)

Been spamming grottoes all day today but the game refuses to give me a high level water grotto :mad:

Grazza, what vocations did you use for the legacy bosses since I'm going to start fighting them soon. I'm sure you've said before but I can't find the post?

Grazza, what vocations did you use for the legacy bosses since I'm going to start fighting them soon. I'm sure you've said before but I can't find the post?

Gladiator, Gladiator, Gladiator, Priest

...Until about level 40 or 50, when you will probably start needing Kazing, so you should change to...

Gladiator, Gladiator, Sage, Priest

...But around level 70 you really need to start activating Knight Watch as much as possible, so should change to...

Paladin, Gladiator, Sage, Priest

But do be aware that the last 20 or 30 levels of each are hugely tedious and time-consuming. Speaking of which, I've beaten the latest one:

Or003.jpg

Orgodemir uses Stop, Paralysis, Fuddle and Poison, so Catholicon Rings, Eternity/Infinity Trousers and Erdrick's Helm are recommended. Paralysis is the one to guard against - the others could be considered red herrings.

Use Fire Fource to maximise your attack. This boss only uses fire and ice, so the Mythical/Legendary Armour is even better than Metal King in this case.

Just two more to go...

Finally got an S rank water yesterday so now I'm caught up with the quests, finally completed the Letter Getter quest after having that open for who knows how long.

Got Baramos up level 81 using a team of Minstrel, Paladin, Gladiator and Priest. Used to use a Sage instead of a Priest, but I felt Omniheal was more useful. His Kafrizz can OHKO my Priest though which is bit of a problem :woops:

Got Baramos up level 81 using a team of Minstrel, Paladin, Gladiator and Priest. Used to use a Sage instead of a Priest, but I felt Omniheal was more useful.

Yeah, Omniheal and Fullheal are necessary for some turns.

His Kafrizz can OHKO my Priest though which is bit of a problem :woops:

Have you maxed-out all their stat-boosts and got the Angel's Robe and Tropotoga? That'll sort you out. Don't forget you can also wear Red/White Tights, Fur Hoods and Ethereal Gauntlets to protect against the elements.

Have you maxed-out all their stat-boosts

Only for the hero. I quickly levelled my priest as a Paladin to get the reliance boosts and swapped some of her equipment and now she's no longer OHKO'd by Kafrizz :)

Only had time to get Baramos upto level 88 last night and his difficulty has suddenly increased alot, never had this much trouble beating him before.

Thanks for the heads up! I put this game down for the last 2 days as I got Rune Factory 3. Needlessly to say I have become obscenely addicted to it.

This should get me all the DQVC exclusives now. Only recently had a massive surge of agates/orbs, so mqade a pile of alchemy stuff (had over 30 agates...probably made about 50 total though). After seeing you guys doing the legacies I decided to try and get them to 99. Highest is Estark in his 40s, along with 10 green orbs.

Can yo imagine the insaneness of the Legacy bosses in 4-player with everyone with Thief's Theory though with them all stealing orbs?

Today's new Quest is just my sense of humour:

Quest 179[/b]: Pants Macabre (already I love it just because of the name)

You meet a skeleton called "Nick O' Less" who wants you to find his pants! The reward: Rhapthorne Map :awesome:

The latest Legacy boss has great music. :)

[spoiler=]It's a fast version of Heavenly Flight, just like in DQVIII. In fact, the whole setting reminds me of that game. For some reason, I can't remember who the bosses were in IV and V.

Got Baramos to level 99! Turns out he wasn't much tougher after all, guess I just had an unlucky streak before.

Battled Estark for a bit because I wanted some Green Orbs, got him to level 8 and I've already got 7 orbs. Athough I didn't give him an experience for a couple of battles.

Next up is Murdaw, currently level 20 and got all of his drops so far.