NEurope
Nintendork

SSX Blur

Ah, I'm the same as you. I've put this game on the back burner for now, playing a bit or retro stuff at the moment, but I'll keep that in mind when I pick it up again.

Well I'll get mine suitably late as Play seems to have sent it to some other Simon in some other Sweden.

Oh and taken a week long lunch aswell.

Whenever I do get through to them and they send me a new one I'll be sure to talk a bit about how my shredding is going, even though bikinis are everywhere around me.

I was hoping there'd at least be a little bit of snow outside when I got this, but it'll prolly be some awkward summer boarding by the time I get it.

Just a quick thing, I actually got my mom to playing this game and she had no problem with the controls whatsoever. So there 1Up.

lol my mum plays my wii more than i do. i will have to purchase this and give it a go.

I'd like to rent this to see if its worth it. If it doesn't beat SSX3, as I've previously said, I'm not interested. Unfortunately I haven't seen anywhere close to home to rent Wii games :/

Having recently acquired this game, I have to recommend it strongly to anyone here who doesn’t already own it! It’s fantastic! I’d say the only other game I’ve played that’s given me the same ‘Wii’ feeling is Excite Truck. It’s very polished in its presentation and there’s loads more depth than most recent efforts. The controls feel great (carving and jumping especially), and I make the ET comparison because it often leaves you with the same sense of exhilaration. The ubertricks aren’t hard at all btw - I can’t imagine how uncoordinated the moaners must be if even I can pull them off! The only thing that seems unbalanced so far are the slalom events; they’re incredibly annoying at first (..think the most counterintuitive sections of Sonic and you’re there). But otherwise the difficulty curve is perfectly judged.

If you’re looking for that genuine Wii factor to carry you over until Paper Mario, then ignore the whiny naysayers and give it a go. You won’t regret it.:D

Hey! Uncoordinated moaner here! I got the game today and I can't get the ubertricks right for the life of me.

I know the secret is prolly buried in this thread somewhere, but any quick tips for someone who's obviously not doing it even wiimotely right?

A quick tip for the "Z" Uber.

You don't have to move the remote down at all a simple Right, Left, Right motion will do the trick.

Remember to keep to remote level, don't twist it. Oh and as someone said a little further up the page don't think of it as pointing at the screen and drawing with a cursor. Keep the remote straight to the screen when you do the motions (although I know you don't have to be facing the screen at all to do the ubers)

FAVOURITE. SSX. EVER.

Ah. So you've come round.:smile:

I trust you're finding the ubers ok now. They're only as hard as they should be in my view, and it feels so much better than the button bashing of previous iterations. Unlocked peak 2 today and it's amazing! Happiness is one of the best tracks ever - so much freedom. I love the way the game encourages you to explore too.

I agree with Lens that the ubers are much better with the remote than they ever were with the buttons. I enjoyed SSX Tricky but I could never remember any of the combinations so just ended up randomly pressing buttons and hoping for the best. The thing with the remote is that all you need to do is remember a shape and perform it accurately. It's so much more intuitive.

I've been on peak 3 for a while but only just completed my first tournament because I was having so much fun just cruising down the slopes collecting all the tokens. I've got many of the ones that are in obvious places so I'm now trying out different routes and tricks to try and pick up the harder ones. I've still not managed to unlock any of the ubers after the 'heart-shaped' one - it's really hard collecting a whole set!

With all the different types of events and tournaments to try - freestyle, big air, half pipe, rage, slalom, challenges, token collecting - there's enough to keep you going for months. The variety means there is something for everyone - I love the halfpipe but can't stand the slalom for instance. It's also a game that you can play for 20 minutes or a few hours and it can be as intense or chilled out as you want it to be.

I can't rate this game highly enough.

I agree with Lens that the ubers are much better with the remote than they ever were with the buttons. I enjoyed SSX Tricky but I could never remember any of the combinations so just ended up randomly pressing buttons and hoping for the best. The thing with the remote is that all you need to do is remember a shape and perform it accurately. It's so much more intuitive.

I've been on peak 3 for a while but only just completed my first tournament because I was having so much fun just cruising down the slopes collecting all the tokens. I've got many of the ones that are in obvious places so I'm now trying out different routes and tricks to try and pick up the harder ones. I've still not managed to unlock any of the ubers after the 'heart-shaped' one - it's really hard collecting a whole set!

With all the different types of events and tournaments to try - freestyle, big air, half pipe, rage, slalom, challenges, token collecting - there's enough to keep you going for months. The variety means there is something for everyone - I love the halfpipe but can't stand the slalom for instance. It's also a game that you can play for 20 minutes or a few hours and it can be as intense or chilled out as you want it to be.

I can't rate this game highly enough.

I'm in entire agreement with this post! Sums up my views on the game accurately!

I've currently got 9 Ubers available to me, don't have problems pulling them off, just need decent enough air for a few of them! I'm a couple icons away from unlocking about 3 or 4 more too, it's just difficult remembering where I saw the icons for those I need! Grrrrr!

EDIT - Ooooooh, I've unlocked all the Ubers now! Loving the Guitar motions with the board for one of them, truly awesome!

Why is it so fun to travel from Peak 3 to the bottom of Peak 1?

I played a few more tournaments on Saturday, really enjoyed the game again. Also Gamesmaster gave the game an 88% and in the 'GM Loves' column.... motion controls.

Well I never doubted that the ubers were completely managable, it's just that I didn't understand exactly when you could do them, since you basically need to "cancel" tricks in this game with the A button instead of just letting go of everything.

I think there's a widespread conservatism that's giving Wii games bad scores. I honestly think that many reviewers are too stuck in a rut, too stuck believing if something doesn't make IMMEDIATE SENSE it's bad. They forgot what it was like when you first got a gamepad in hand and had to figure out where the buttons are, and they fault the Wiimote/nunchuk combo for having a similar learning curve.

Maybe it's Nintendo's mantra of making it accessible, but games like Wii Sports ARE, whilst some games shouldn't have to bear that responsibility, because they're infinitely more complex by design.

There's like an air of contempt whenever a game for the Wii takes some practice to master, and it doesn't seem like your normal frustration. It's as if they're annoyed by the whole Wii thing in general and don't WANT it to work.

Why is it so fun to travel from Peak 3 to the bottom of Peak 1?

Isn't it? When I first found out that it was 3 peaks that formed one big slope I wasn't sure I'd enjoy that as much as having completely different slopes as in SSX Tricky. However, there's still plenty of variety and it's great to be able to do one really long run just carving up the snow and getting collectables.

It's as if they're annoyed by the whole Wii thing in general and don't WANT it to work.

I think that about sums it up. Thing is, gaming, like other media is evolving so it was inevitable that it would develop in new ways. I think the concept of button mashing and the regurgitating of the same old franchises was really starting to become tired and the industry was ripe for change. There will always be people who don't like change though and try to fob it off as a fad or a novelty that won't stand the test of time. They'll come round eventually though as the future of the gaming industry lies in diversifying and expanding the market. Nintendo is pushing the boundaries of gaming and I really admire a company that is willing to stick it's neck on the line for a radical new vision.

My only gripe with this game is that scoring events are far too easy... only some races and slalom can be challenging!

My only gripe with this game is that scoring events are far too easy... only some races and slalom can be challenging!

Do you use the boost in races?

Do you use the boost in races?

The only challenging race is on Peak 3... don't get me wrong, I can finish first, just occasionally I get pipped on the line... I'm not saying it's difficult, far from it infact, just nowhere near as easy as the scoring events! I think they're TOO easy... like I have absolutely no problem doubling the scores.

I'm considering to buy this game sinc I love SSX3 so much, but I just got 1 question. Are there many tracks copied over from SS3? Because I was so disappointed at SSX On Tour (PSP) for having so few new tracks and having just too many from SSX3. I don't want to buy the same game with different controls this time (I already read someone telling about the track 'Happiness', that one is a SSX3 track for sure, unless the developers just can't come up with other names ofc :( )

I'm considering to buy this game sinc I love SSX3 so much, but I just got 1 question. Are there many tracks copied over from SS3? Because I was so disappointed at SSX On Tour (PSP) for having so few new tracks and having just too many from SSX3. I don't want to buy the same game with different controls this time (I already read someone telling about the track 'Happiness', that one is a SSX3 track for sure, unless the developers just can't come up with other names ofc :( )

I think all of the tracks are from previous SSX games.

I think all of the tracks are from previous SSX games.

Thanks, that saves me €75 (nunchuck + game) :P

If you like SSX though (SSX3 in particular from a presentation standpoint) this IS worth it for the controls alone. They come off as quite difficult to begin with, but once you get to grips with them this is so easily the most rewarding SSX to play.

Hmm, maybe I will rent it some day then. To me it just sounds like buying a game for the 3rd time, and this time not even portable like with the PSP version. And yes, I do like SSX3 a lot, so much that I can dream the tracks from that game. And doing 'em all again with only real noticeable difference in the controls? I just don't know about that...