NEurope
Tellyn

Spoiler-Free The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Thread

You know, you're all saying the length between the later dungeons/temples are too short, 20 minutes sometimes. But in Ocarina of Time you don't spend 3 or 4 hours betwen temples, unless you decide to finish every minigame in one go.

I think the general time between temples in that game was half an hour at the most.

Maybe we shouldn't be putting down TP just because there isn't much between temples later on in the game, Ocarina of Time wasn't any longer. I reckon we're just lost in nostalgia.

Quoted for truth, in Ocarina you could basically go from Temple to Temple a lot of times. There are lots of things to do, if you don't to do them it's up to you.

You know, you're all saying the length between the later dungeons/temples are too short, 20 minutes sometimes. But in Ocarina of Time you don't spend 3 or 4 hours betwen temples, unless you decide to finish every minigame in one go.

I think the general time between temples in that game was half an hour at the most.

Maybe we shouldn't be putting down TP just because there isn't much between temples later on in the game, Ocarina of Time wasn't any longer. I reckon we're just lost in nostalgia.

Very true, but in TP's case, there's about 4 minutes travel time between temples 5 and 6, and 8 and 9, it was never that short in Ocarina. Also remember having to get into the Spirit Temple in OoT!? Now THAT was a Gerudo desert. Sneaking around their fortress, batling the guards, earning their trust, indulging in a bit of horse archery, then navigating the desert to get to the Collosus, then realising that you have to be there as a child, then as an adult. Genius. Not to mention long, involving and epic.

Majora's Mask took hours to get into each dungeon but then that was to be expected given how few there were.

Even Wind Waker felt like a quest, rather than just going from dungeon to dungeon as in TP.

STOP comparing games, jeez, each game has its own style. The last 3 TP dungeons can be played instantly, but if you wannt, you can go do other stuff no one makes you go to the temples. Nintendo didn't want to stretch it just for the sake of having 5 more game hours and they didn't. Thank god they didn't, it seems that all you want is a OoT remake, then go play OoT again.

What's with all this negativity.

Admittedly I am still early on in the game (approaching the Water Temple) , but I am constantly astounded at how beautiful this game is , and I mean the story not just the way it looks. It is a hell of a while since any game has grabbed me as much as this and that is all I want/expect from any Zelda game.

Although , considering what Water Temples are usually like , my opinion could change after getting through that.

STOP comparing games, jeez, each game has its own style. The last 3 TP dungeons can be played instantly, but if you wannt, you can go do other stuff no one makes you go to the temples. Nintendo didn't want to stretch it just for the sake of having 5 more game hours and they didn't. Thank god they didn't, it seems that all you want is a OoT remake, then go play OoT again.
I'm really glad I didn't wait 4 years for a OoT remake.
What's with all this negativity.

Admittedly I am still early on in the game (approaching the Water Temple) , but I am constantly astounded at how beautiful this game is , and I mean the story not just the way it looks. It is a hell of a while since any game has grabbed me as much as this and that is all I want/expect from any Zelda game.

Although , considering what Water Temples are usually like , my opinion could change after getting through that.

My advice is keeping out of threads like these while you don't finish the game, firstly you might be exposed to spoilers even in "spoiler free" threads like these, it happens; and then you'll be exposed to opinions about the game positive or negative that might influence your fun with the game.

I think I can dislike pretty much every game if I start playing it for nitpicking, or simply expect and judge the game for what it's not.

I can say proudly that Zelda TP is the best zelda ever, technically and in reality, it's simply the bigger Zelda out there, does it beat every other Zelda in every single way? no, because this is not a "best of Zelda" it's a new game, and a awesome one at that.

It's worth buying a Wii along with it and for it, and the GC version is worth buying as well, in fact... I bought both. I wouldn't do this for any other franchise to be honest, and I've not been deceived.

I'm not nitpicking, I love Twilight Princess, but it's just disappointed me and many others on this board. I'm not looking for an OoT remake at all, I'm looking for a game as good as OoT and I've not found it in TP.

- music is worst of the past 4 Zeldas

- although the graphics are nice, even the WW ones look better

- Dungeons get easier and shorter as the game goes on

- No sense of urgency, no sense of danger, no fleshing out of bad guys (bar one scene half way through). How many times had we seen Ganondorf in OoT, the Skullkid in MM, Ganondorf/Helmaroc King in WW before the final showdown with them? Loads.

- No magic in the game

- Very dodgy camera at times

- Not as many sidequests as WW

- Bosses are way too easy

- The quality of the game play goes down as you play, as if the developers got lazy

- EDIT: Forgot to add Kakariko Village is pretty much pointless and a big let down. What's the population exactly, 6? Including the children! Castle town is good but oddly enough there isn't that much to do! Certainly not as much as there was to do in Clock Town in MM. Now that was a cool town.

But hey, I'd still give TP a 10/10 in gaming terms, in relation to other Zeldas, 8 or 9.

All in my opinion of course. I'm enjoying this game, just a lot of things like ^^ are getting me down.

Can't argue with the music one, but the graphics on tp have blown me away so far... they are beautiful. I'm not to bothered about dungeons, I don't mind them, but they are not my favourite part of the game, I love the exploring parts in between. I haven't had any problems with the camera so far, and most of the sidequests in WW sucked. I wouldn't have thought the developers got lazy, since it's was in development for, what, 3-4 years? I haven't got very far (goron mines) so I can't really comment on that, but you are being far too harsh. This game is far better than WW at least.

The graphics look fine, they just look bland I feel.

Compare the Forest Haven from Wind Waker to the Forest Temple in Twilight Princess? One was beautiful, colourful and magic looking, the other was dull and boring.

The camera seems to go crazy when fighting (as does Z-targetting). Guess it's just me. Also the camera goes 'through' solid objects far too much. It was perfect in the Wind Waker which also had the added bonus of the second analog stick to control it (which is sorely missed here I feel)

I think it's because the game was in development for so long that they got lazy?

Perhaps I am being overly-critical but so what, if this is one of the greatest games of all time (which I believe it is) it deserves to be analysed.

Better than the WW? Hmmm... In my opinion...I'll let you know when I finish it in a couple of days.

Can't argue with the music one, but the graphics on tp have blown me away so far... they are beautiful. I'm not to bothered about dungeons, I don't mind them, but they are not my favourite part of the game, I love the exploring parts in between. I haven't had any problems with the camera so far, and most of the sidequests in WW sucked. I wouldn't have thought the developers got lazy, since it's was in development for, what, 3-4 years? I haven't got very far (goron mines) so I can't really comment on that, but you are being far too harsh. This game is far better than WW at least.
the music is awesome, the overworld music is the best ever and the ending tune is stuck in my mind, sure it doesn't play a role in the game like it did in MM and OoT with a ocarina and all, but it's awesome, I ussually don't rank music in zelda's, I mean... OoT is nice, MM is diferent and more moody, WW is happy, and TP is still awesome. I don't think it's inferior at all.

As for camera... I didn't have real problems with it.

The graphics look fine, they just look bland I feel.
way better and with more personality than any Zelda before it, it's breathtaking that they're gamecube graphics.
Compare the Forest Haven from Wind Waker to the Forest Temple in Twilight Princess? One was beautiful, colourful and magic looking, the other was dull and boring.
I didn't find it dull at all, infact I prefer it anyday to Wind Waker's.

The camera seems to go crazy when fighting (as does Z-targetting). Guess it's just me. Also the camera goes 'through' solid objects far too much. It was perfect in the Wind Waker which also had the added bonus of the second analog stick to control it (which is sorely missed here I feel)
Issue never happened, solid objects sure, but is that a issue? I mean... it happens a lot in OoT and MM and in WW too. is that disappointing?

I think it's because the game was in development for so long that they got lazy?
So lazy that it's the biggest zelda ever made?

Perhaps I am being overly-critical but so what, if this is one of the greatest games of all time (which I believe it is) it deserves to be analysed.
yes you are. when i played OoT I was a kid, I'm 20 now, how could I expect the same thing? I played through this zelda loving it in 2 weeks, but I took like a year to finish OoT, but I think this zelda is several times better than OoT in most accounts, and any other zelda created.

Better than the WW? Hmmm... In my opinion...I'll let you know when I finish it in a couple of days.
WW is very diferent from TP though, I think that's our problem here in the forums, we want to compare them directly and with zelda that's simply not possible.

TP does a lot of things good, and in most cases better than it's predecessors, that's my opinion of course.

The trouble with making that comparision is , the reason the Forest Haven was beautiful , colourful and magic looking was largely due to the graphic styling of the game.

I was still blown away by the look of the Forest Temple and I certainly didn't find it bland. That is obviously in part due to the darker look of the game in general.

One thing I can agree with is the bosses , usually I would have some minor problems in dispatching them (even early one) but so far the ones in TP have not been a challenge whatsoever.

I am also enjoying the music a lot , although I do agree that I was initially dis-appointed with the lack of any instrument themed angle , like previous games.

the music is awesome, the overworld music is the best ever and the ending tune is stuck in my mind, sure it doesn't play a role in the game like it did in MM and OoT with a ocarina and all, but it's awesome, I ussually don't rank music in zelda's, I mean... OoT is nice, MM is diferent and more moody, WW is happy, and TP is still awesome. I don't think it's inferior at all.

I disagree, I think the overworld gets annoying excedingly quick. The only tune of note is Kakariko village, and 'the 3rd village' which I won't name for spoilers sake... that had a good tune, shame it disappeared after 1 scene!

way better and with more personality than any Zelda before it, it's breathtaking that they're gamecube graphics.

I didn't find it dull at all, infact I prefer it anyday to Wind Waker's.

The graphics are nice don't get me wrong but I think I prefer Starfox Adventures visuals funnily enough. As commented on in many online reviews, the graphics in WW actually look more recent than TP's, and I agree with that view.

Issue never happened, solid objects sure, but is that a issue? I mean... it happens a lot in OoT and MM and in WW too. is that disappointing?

Ocarina and MM fine, they're many years old. It happened VERY rarely in WW, and considering this is 3-4 years on from that game you would have thought they could have sorted it by now.

So lazy that it's the biggest zelda ever made?

Firstly, is it? Not by much I would say. Secondly, anyone can say, right let's make this Zelda 100 hours long, but then end up getting bored and filling the second half of the game with short temples, boring sidequests and easy bosses, as has happened with TP I feel.

yes you are. when i played OoT I was a kid, I'm 20 now, how could I expect the same thing? I played through this zelda loving it in 2 weeks, but I took like a year to finish OoT, but I think this zelda is several times better than OoT in most accounts, and any other zelda created.

I say what I feel, and am allowed my view. I respect your view, sugar coated and rose-tinted as it is.

WW is very diferent from TP though, I think that's our problem here in the forums, we want to compare them directly and with zelda that's simply not possible.

Perhaps not, all the zeldas are different but what we can compare is how much we enjoyed playing each of them.

TP does a lot of things good, and in most cases better than it's predecessors, that's my opinion of course.

I agree. The majority of cases better, a lot of cases worse.

I disagree, I think the overworld gets annoying excedingly quick. The only tune of note is Kakariko village, and 'the 3rd village' which I won't name for spoilers sake... that had a good tune, shame it disappeared after 1 scene!
well I don't but each own his opinion, I guess

The graphics are nice don't get me wrong but I think I prefer Starfox Adventures visuals funnily enough. As commented on in many online reviews, the graphics in WW actually look more recent than TP's, and I agree with that view.
I disagree, WW looks more bare and blunt although the style makes up for it, cell shading needs no realistic detail in textures like TP does, that said the world in TP is bigger, the characters look better, the lightning and particle effects are night and day diference.

Link's face was not animated by poligons in WW. Sure WW might survive better the test of time, being cartoony, but nowhere as beautiful as TP IMO.

Ocarina and MM fine, they're many years old. It happened VERY rarely in WW, and considering this is 3-4 years on from that game you would have thought they could have sorted it by now.
There's no such thing as perfect 3D, what are we gonna complain about next "OMG I saw a polygon edge in the game! it should be round".

It's a videogame it's bounf to have all those.

The issue happened less than 10 times throughout the game, it's not even worth calling that a issue, IMO.

Firstly, is it? Not by much I would say. Secondly, anyone can say, right let's make this Zelda 100 hours long, but then end up getting bored and filling the second half of the game with short temples, boring sidequests and easy bosses, as has happened with TP I feel.
biggest Zelda mainquest ever, no doubt.

I can easily finish OoT in under 11 hours. I couldn't finish Zelda TP that quickly.

I say what I feel, and am allowed my view. I respect your view, sugar coated and rose-tinted as it is.
I disagree about mine being rose tinted, like I said we changed ages and some of us just expected too much, I mean does it need to have the impact OoT did to be better? We knew it wouldn't, but it perfected the formula, no doubt.

OoT through my rose tinted eyes wasn't even my favorite zelda, that was MM, and this is my opinion not something I don't wanna see or admit.

Perhaps not, all the zeldas are different but what we can compare is how much we enjoyed playing each of them.
I enjoyed all them for diferent reasons. otherwise it would feel just like OoT all over again.
I agree. The majority of cases better, a lot of cases worse.
The song interaction throughout the game is worse than in Ocarina, Majora Mask and even Wind Waker, since there's no real consequences in the area for a music played, it's hardly the key, that said Ocarina and others focused on them, and TP doesn't, it was their way of going in a different direction and I appreciate that.

The interaction with people is not like it was in MM, but how could it with so many people in hyrule town? sure it can improve further, but to say "lots of cases" I think it's very few cases and mostly because the bar was lifted further, between OoT and TP's hyrule market there's no discussion, but being so big it's also his downfall, the point where it could improve, but it's already a big improvement over OoT.

I still think it's the best Zelda ever created. I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it was.

motion2000 I say your point of view is oversly pessimisitc, because you try to find flaws in every little thing, it's not other people that have rose tinted point of of views.

Didnt people cry out for a realistic style Zelda to follow Wind Waker? Now it seems that the grass is no greener...? Im yet to play Twilight Princess so I cant comment, but I imagine the graphics to be outstanding and will be much more magical than even OoT for as much as I love that game, I dont seem to put it on such a high pedestal as others, obviously its a classic, and for its time its the best there was. Even nowadays Ive see no problems with it being voted the Best Game Ever.

Twilight Princess is no doubt a classic in its own right, ok, people are gonna contrast it with teh uber graphics of the best looking Xbox 360 games they can find, but look at the game in its proper context: a GameCube game dressed up with Wii controls. It (probably) sets out to achieve everything it attempted to, Im sure Nintendo poured all the resources into it they could.

PS. A Link to the Past had some very small dungeons. Ive never read of anyone on here moan and groan about that... ::shrug:

Just finished dungeon 8.

I actually found it more annoying than the water temple in OoT. Very very cool boss though (as expected). Very nicely done, interesting way of dealing with it, though it was very 'convenient'. Lucky those things were there etc... But top marks.

Straight into dungeon 9 though I see, groan.

I also really like the way the series has gone back to giving each boss an on screen title before the battle. Shame it's in such a pansy font this time round ;)

I am also enjoying the music a lot , although I do agree that I was initially dis-appointed with the lack of any instrument themed angle , like previous games.

You do get to do the howling, but it's not as good as the instruments. It's not exactly musical.

I disagree, I think the overworld gets annoying excedingly quick. The only tune of note is Kakariko village, and 'the 3rd village' which I won't name for spoilers sake...

I didn't even like kakariko's that much... remember the music from hyrule castle town in OoT? Nothing compares to that in TP. It doesn't seem to have any melody, although I haven't been to this mysterious third village yet.

Don't get your hopes up, it's not much. It'd be good if there were a couple more vilages though like in Adventures of Link, that was pretty cool.

I hated Kakariko's music at first but it's really grown on me. Shame the actual town is pants.

Oddly enough I really like the tune for the Golden Wold scenes where you learn new things. Fantastic scenes those, loved every one.

Kakariko reminds me of the gerudo valley hideout place and the outskirt stand on pokémon colusseum. I think it's pretty cool.

OK , I know I am quotting myself here , but AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH , this goddamn Water Temple is stressing the hell outta me. Thankfully I am almost done (3 hrs so far , jeez or maybe I just suck) so no spoilers please.

What is it with Zelda and Water Temples ?

Kakariko reminds me of the gerudo valley hideout place and the outskirt stand on pokémon colusseum. I think it's pretty cool.

Kakariko LOOKS cool, shame it's got a population of about 6 and is devoid of anything interesting.

I'm done defending Twilight Princess. If people want to whine about it that's their problem. I was going to counter all of Motion's points with some of my own but I realised that would be pointless. He has his opinion and I have mine. Aside all this, I just wanted to say that Kakariko had Malo Mart and the hilarious bomb guy.

That alone makes Kakariko awesome.

Even Wind Waker felt like a quest, rather than just going from dungeon to dungeon as in TP.

Boring things to feel like they take forever.

One had a mood set to the game, the other was colourful and boring.

I agree with this, Z-targeting seems muchos erratic in Twilight Princess. I did mention this in the other thread.

I've had jigsaw puzzles better than Wind Waker.

Shame it's in such a pansy font this time round ;)

True, do they expect us to pronounce "Twilit" the same? It just gets a -Twil - It - from me.

Malo Mart is cool, but one wonders what's the point of having a town with two shops, and no one living there except the mayor person.

I remember disliking EEVILMURRAY at some point cause of something, now I remember why eheh, don't worry, I love you.