NEurope
DiemetriX

Wii vs Cube

my (minor) complaint isnt really with the hardware, its that the same recycled engines and character models are being used for Metroid and Mario. Ill use Zelda as an example of good graphics evolution

Zelda NES

legendofzeldanesscreenshot2wv9.jpg

Zelda 2 NES (same ancient hardware yet the game manages to look and play completely different)

loz2re8.png

Zelda 3 SNES (return to orignial style but the leap in hardware warrants it)

loz3ew3.png

Zelda 4 N64 3D overhaul

loz4um3.png

Zelda 5 GC leap in hardware plus revamped graphics and animation

loz5gf8.png

Zelda 6 GC same hardware, completely different looking game

loz6rq7.png

*didnt include Majoras Mask because i consider it a side story

You can say the Wii is super well designed, and that it has the best internal architechture all you want. You can even convince yourself that Wii is 'leaps and bounds' ahead of the Gamecube, but all you have to do is look at the screens that started this thread. Certain Wii games look like last gen games with a bit of extra polish, some look like last gen games, and others look worse still.

I don't care for your indepth analysis of what you say the Wii can do. The proof is in the screens, and sadly on most occasions they disappoint. As someone already said, the new Tony Hawks game actually looks worse on Wii.

You can blame lazy developers, you can hope that the graphics will be drastically improved in the final stages of development, but most people will be at least slighty detered from investing in a console that costs more than Gamecube did when it was released yet the games in many cases look worse, and very few indeed look cutting edge.

You can say the Wii is super well designed, and that it has the best internal architechture all you want. You can even convince yourself that Wii is 'leaps and bounds' ahead of the Gamecube, but all you have to do is look at the screens that started this thread. Certain Wii games look like last gen games with a bit of extra polish, some look like last gen games, and others look worse still.

I don't care for your indepth analysis of what you say the Wii can do. The proof is in the screens, and sadly on most occasions they disappoint. As someone already said, the new Tony Hawks game actually looks worse on Wii.

You can blame lazy developers, you can hope that the graphics will be drastically improved in the final stages of development, but most people will be at least slighty detered from investing in a console that costs more than Gamecube did when it was released yet the games in many cases look worse, and very few indeed look cutting edge.

And You can convince yourself of what you're saying, but I for one know what I'm talking about.

You just gave me reason, you want to believe Sengoku Musou Wave and TH DJ is pushing Wii to it's limits, and I'll let you be, hell... I have more to do.

In case you didn't noticed... TH DJ is not done by the same guys who did the other TH's and it's not being done by Project 8 team, it's a low budget exclusive for Wii (that according to yesterday's previews actually seems to be refreshingly fun). It's actually done by a team that never worked with GC, and lacked prior experience on modern (curent gen) console 3D graphics.

Wii is substantially better than GC, what I'm not at fault is that GC already had good graphics.

What can you do with Metroid Prime 2? double the polygons? triple? Metroid Prime 2 will still look good, that's the point here... In the end what you want is games like RE4 and Metroid Prime 1 & 2 to look instantly bad. The fact that they look so good is why it's so dificult to make a diference, still... Metroid Prime 3 is a whole lot better graphically.

Talking about the first post pics... you do know that CoD 3, Mario Galaxy, TH DJ, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Madden run at 60 fps in Wii? it's GC counterparts ran at 30 fps.

Which means that if Mario Galaxy is pushing double the polygons at 60 frames... if it was at 30 frames with that same engine you could push double that ammount... this would equal to 4 times the amount GC could do... and still you have loads of shader effects going on.

This also brings to light Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3... Both run at 60 fps, now... if Wii only has double the power of GC and nothing more... then Metroid Prime 3 could run on GC at 30 frames... does it? No chance, not with all the shaders Wii is doing (and we're not even mentioning texture quality)

My bet is easily double GC's power without optimization or using Wii's paths, compatibility mode, if you will. Ubisoft claimed to achieve 60 fps in a port of a 30 fps Xbox game, without much optimization.

Gamecube 1,5? A little more polish? my ass. And I'm sorry for the bluntness.

About the cost, GC had a standard controller that bought nothing new to the table, Wii has state of art implementations in that realm, things that are starting to be massproduced, you can't expect those to be cheap right from the start. a expansion port in the controller costs, the motion sensing sensors cost, the sensor bar costs.

Seriously, I'm starting to like Sony fanboys, at least they aren't complaining about PS2 graphics. :indeed:

Lastly if you don't want one... don't buy one, it's simple and you don't need to whine for 2 months straigh in a internet forum... In short.... Stop complaining like a crybaby, it's anoying and I don't give a damn if you dislike the graphics.

Other than that, no hard feelings.

*didnt include Majoras Mask because i consider it a side story

:indeed: :indeed:

Another thing.

• 1. The Legend of Zelda
  • 2. The Legend of Zelda: The Adventure of Link
  • 3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • 4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • 5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • 6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • 7. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  • 8. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Age
  • 9. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
  • 10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • 11. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  • 12. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • 13. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • 14. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Ignore the stupid whiners who have no clue what they are talking about. Unless they are blind and cannot see the improvement and progress of games such as Red Steel, Excite Truck, TH Downhill Jam, etc. The console isnt even out yet, the games are not finished and Red Steel in particular looks beyond current gen now.

Do you people seriously believe?:

a) Wii has no more power than the current gen....

b) Wii has already reached its limit(even though devs are not finished yet) and graphical improvement will progress no further in the future...

If you truly believe that, then you are fools.

:indeed: :indeed:

Another thing.

• 1. The Legend of Zelda
  • 2. The Legend of Zelda: The Adventure of Link
  • 3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • 4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • 5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • 6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • 7. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  • 8. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Age
  • 9. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
  • 10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • 11. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  • 12. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • 13. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • 14. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Im aware of the series as a whole, im just going with the main console versions and i used numbers because im too lazy to type out all the proper titles, i think you misunderstood my point

Ignore the stupid whiners who have no clue what they are talking about. Unless they are blind and cannot see the improvement and progress of games such as Red Steel, Excite Truck, TH Downhill Jam, etc. The console isnt even out yet, the games are not finished and Red Steel in particular looks beyond current gen now.

Do you people seriously believe?:

a) Wii has no more power than the current gen....

b) Wii has already reached its limit(even though devs are not finished yet) and graphical improvement will progress no further in the future...

If you truly believe that, then you are fools.

Call them fools, but really they like to think badly about the Wii. It's probably because they like hurting themselves. They probably think they're cool in doing so.

naaa2.jpg

Interesting. Wii does look better. But not by much. I'm satisfied though.

wtf? a system that is 5 years older has almost as good graphics as wii and wii isn't a cheap price. $250 for a souped up gamecube ... isn't that a bit too much?

wtf? a system that is 5 years older has almost as good graphics as wii and wii isn't a cheap price. $250 for a souped up gamecube ... isn't that a bit too much?

It's not just a souped up GameCube. Most titles with screenshots in there look crap. Metroid Prime 3 outshines both predecessors by far in motion, SMG easily kicks the crap out of Sunshine and Red Steel really looks far better than anything seen last gen (even getting on par with games like PD Zero). Most third party titles haven't been made with Wii design in mind and most of the titles are ported GameCube technology. That doesn't make the Wii a GameCube. Games that have been made for Wii all the way are showing what's really possible.

It is expensive because the controller.

Simple as that.

Nothing outshines anything on the Cube thus far, in motion or not.

The controller technology, sensor bar and stuff is 70% of the system's cost I heard.

Bozie and I drove up to SF today and we’re doing a bit of a Wii tour. First stop: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz.

After two dedicated hours, I can tell you that the game is pretty awesome and I want every person who even remotely liked the previous titles — excluding the terrible Super Monkey Ball Adventure, that is — to go now and pre-order it. You will simply not be disappointed.

Look for my impressions — and amazing new movies — very soon. But in the meantime, dream of the monkey goodness, for it is vast and beautiful.

By the way, people who still say that the old games look better — and I’m talking about visuals here — you are blind. Banana Blitz is in a graphic league well beyond its predecessors.

Next up: swords and guns, bunnies, and monster trucks and import racers. Stay tuned.

http://blogs.ign.com/matt-ign

It is expensive because the controller.

Simple as that.

Nothing outshines anything on the Cube thus far, in motion or not.

The controller technology, sensor bar and stuff is 70% of the system's cost I heard.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Shut up you hypocrit, it was you yesterday running around saying it's just a GameCube with waggle.. it basically is.

If you're trying to be a smart arse and think I'm referring to PS3 or 360 games then whatever.

I will rephrase it.

Nothing on the Wii thus far outshines the GameCube, in motion or not.

Shut up you hypocrit, it was you yesterday running around saying it's just a GameCube with waggle.. it basically is.

If you're trying to be a smart arse and think I'm referring to PS3 or 360 games then whatever.

I will rephrase it.

Nothing on the Wii thus far outshines the GameCube, in motion or not.

Someone needs to go to specsavers

Someone needs to go to specsavers

Haha, funny.

If you check the dictionary.

Outshine: To surpass in obvious excellence; outdo.

I see no outshining, anywhere.. in terms of graphical style or performance. This is of course an entirely subjective statement. (you don't understand this bit)

I consider the leap from XBOX to XBOX 360, and PS2 to PS3 to be truely outshining the previous games.

Minor improvements? Yeah sure.. but outshining, no. My point is, stop being fanboys, it's not as good as you claim it to be and on Christmas day you'll just be letting yourselves down.

I mean how juvenile.. of course Twilight Princess looks better than Wind Waker.. it's a completely different style, thus a flawed comparison.

Mario Galaxy isn't all that.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy both.. but the difference between the 'whingers' like myself and you fanboys is simple:

I am not kidding myself that the graphics will rox0rz my b0x0rz. I will just enjoy the game for what it is, you will be getting hooked up on the graphics right up until the day the Wii launches.. then you'll realise.

It's not much better. I am done here.. the reason why I am the only one arguing is because every sane forumite who knows anything about graphics has given up on you fuckers and can't be arsed to post. I am now joining them.

My brother bought the cube when it came out in 2001 and now it is gathering dust. he also bought a PS2 which everyone still plays. I was slightly dissapointed with the cube (stopped buying games long time ago) and esp the controller. I was also dissapointed with the lack of good fighting games like street fighter etc. On a positive note, i am very excited about the Wii and i think this is Nintendo's most significant moment in history which will propel it back to the top. There are so many things in the Wii that will appeal to every tastebuds.

Then prepare to be eternally disapointed, cause it seems you're always expecting PS3 graphics on Wii and that won't happen. We know it's something in between and that's what we're seeing, lot's of games clearly impossible on GC and if you don't think so you don't understand jack about hardware. If you think you're very cool because you don't like the graphics and everyone else is a fanboy, fine, whatever you want, but don't go talking like you know everything and everyone is dumber than you.

We are seeing a turbo charged cube, we are seeing nothing in between the cube and the ps3 laugh.gif
But surely a "turbo charged cube" is in between the cube and the ps3. :heh: