NEurope
Tellyn

Virtual Console - All you need to know

When it comes to gathering clues for potential Virtual Console titles, Nintendo isn't always the best source to get answers from. The company has its priorities during this holiday season, and for that reason fans have been looking elsewhere for details in regard to what the Wii's unique retro catalog will offer. The ESRB (Entertainment Software Ratings Board) has already helped us confirm multiple titles expected to hit Wii early next year, and we've received an updated list just this morning.

As it stood, the following potential 2007 VC games we hit on were as follows:

Duck Hunt (E for Everyone)

Hogan's Alley (E for Everyone)

Kid Icarus (E for Everyone)

Kirby's Adventure (E for Everyone)

Pilot Wings (E for Everyone)

Pro Wrestling (E for Everyone)

Punch-Out (E for Everyone)

Wild Gunman (E for Everyone)

New to the list, however, is a slightly more diverse catalog of games:

Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)

Kirby's Super Star (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)

Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)

Starfox 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)

Super Metroid (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)

Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)

Excitebike (NES; rated E for Everyone)

Ice Climber (NES; rated E for Everyone)

Dr. Mario (NES; rated E for Everyone)

Mario Brothers (NES; rated E for Everyone)

Ice Hockey (NES; rated E for Everyone)

Soccer (NES; rated E for Everyone)

Granted, a few of the games on this list were assumed, shown, or already announced by Nintendo, but many of the listed titles have just now been confirmed by the ESRB listing. Since all games released must go through the ESRB before getting to consumers, this shows that these games were submitted by Nintendo, obviously intended for Virtual Console support.

It's important to note, however, that just because a game is submitted to the ESRB does not guarantee it a specific time slot. Games like Mario Kart 64, The Legend of Zelda, and Super Metroid can in fact be held after approval for Nintendo to release at its discretion. If this list is any indication, however, you're most likely looking at a handful of early 2007 Virtual Console games to look forward to.

IGN

Thanks Dante, I'm really hyped at the idea of all these games. Super Mario RPG confirmed then for a US release, will Europe see it?...

I've updated the lists all I can for tonight, I'll continue tomorrow afternoon. Sorry, I'm being kicked off.

i cant wait for some of these games. Starfox 64 :D

OOT, excite bike, ice climbers, im gonna be broke!

All the release dates are up to date now. Also, for some reason I had Super Mario 64 in Japan down for TBA 2006, same with Ocarina. Very odd, but everything's done now.

i cant wait for some of these games. Starfox 64 :D

OOT, excite bike, ice climbers, im gonna be broke!

They look really good, I might have a retro month and save all my money for VC games.

I've added the Wii Points boxart now which has recently surfaced.

3271513m.jpg

I really hope Nintendo make some alternative ways for us to get Wii Points. It would be excellent if they set up online tournaments and you got them as a reward for winning and stuff.

I was initially excited about the whole VC but with the revelations about the games being region specific my hopes of playing such games as Earthbound and Mario RPG quickly faded.

I was initially excited about the whole VC but with the revelations about the games being region specific my hopes of playing such games as Earthbound and Mario RPG quickly faded.

I really don't like how Revo-Europe twisted Eurogamer's article and reported that Europe's VC is "limited only to PAL-releases". No one said anything like that in original article. Only thing that Nintendo's rep said that you must buy your VC games from Europe's VC shop. I can't even understand why Revo-Europe did draw so hasty conclusions, because it is shows extremely poor journalistic skill that nearly borders retardness. And BTW, first batch's Turbographx games are mostly games that were never released in Europe.

I really don't like how Revo-Europe twisted Eurogamer's article and reported that Europe's VC is "limited only to PAL-releases". No one said anything like that in original article. Only thing that Nintendo's rep said that you must buy your VC games from Europe's VC shop. I can't even understand why Revo-Europe did draw so hasty conclusions, because it is shows extremely poor journalistic skill that nearly borders retardness. And BTW, first batch's Turbographx games are mostly games that were never released in Europe.

Well thats good to hear, hopefully Mario RPG will be within my grasp now.

I've updated the first post again with info about the no rumble, Sega games pics (thanks Dante), and added Xevious to the release lists.

Please tell me that horrible black bar isn't around every VC game :hmm:

Only if you've got your Wii display set to widescreen, I'd imagine.

Kirby Super Star - that's Kirby's Fun Pak in Europe. That's a fun title, containing several mini-platformers and other mini-games starring our favourite pink blob. I'd get that :)

New images for you Tellyn888.

wiichannel_8.jpg

wiichannel_9.jpg

nice new images and good how it shows you what controllers you can use, and your wii points balance all on one screen.

anyone know how much the wii points cards are gonna be? we have them priced at £29.99 at work, not sure if this will go down (which often happens, on launch day)

I saw those images in college earlier on the front page, they look awesome. so simple yet beautiful!

I love that it shows you when the game was released.

Thanks Dante, I've got some homework to do but I'll do it by the end of the night.

2000 Wii Points will cost 14.99 in Britain.

I'd say thats a fair price, Means we are paying about £7.50 for N64 games...Not bad imo.