N-Europe

Reformatting my PC

Sarka

Hullo all,

I am going to reformat my PC! I have moved all of my documents to my External Harddrive and I've got my Windows XP disk at the ready.

When I spoke to my computing teacher about it he said that I would have to also get drivers - for my CDs, my graphics card (I think...) and the such. However, I wasn't listening very much. Could anyone tell me everything I need to have to reinstall everything properly.

Thanks

Do dell use restoration disks? Because usually that's easier to use than a manual format/re-install. It basically formats the PC and installs the operating system with all the drivers.

Then again if you have changed something major in the computer (mainly motherboard or video card) that won't probably work too well.

backup all the drivers manually on your portable hard drive. things like most recent nvidia/ati drivers, printers etc. most things work pretty much ok. Just make sure you make a note of passwords and details needed to connect to the internet.

Make sure EVERYTHING important is backed up. saved game files for games etc. I reformat about once every 6 months to keep everything uncluttered, and everytime i miss something. anyway good luck.

(ps while your reformatting anyway ifyou have a spare 15Gb or so you might like to try linux :P)

backup all the drivers manually on your portable hard drive. things like most recent nvidia/ati drivers, printers etc. most things work pretty much ok. Just make sure you make a note of passwords and details needed to connect to the internet.

Make sure EVERYTHING important is backed up. saved game files for games etc. I reformat about once every 6 months to keep everything uncluttered, and everytime i miss something. anyway good luck.

(ps while your reformatting anyway ifyou have a spare 15Gb or so you might like to try linux :P)

Where do I find all the drivers? Are they in a folder somewhere?

Also, I am going to install Linux, my computing teacher suggested ubunto but as it was very good for newbies - but I dunno, I'd probably like something a bit more exciting.

You don't desperately need drivers for everything. You don't need drivers for your disk drives or anything like that. You'll need drivers for your sound card, maybe a modem, graphics card etc, all of which you can get online or with the CD that came with them originally. If you're reformatting because you're having PC troubles I wouldn't reccomend holding on to any drivers, as you may hold on to something that's giving you troubles in the first place - just install them all again.

You don't desperately need drivers for everything. You don't need drivers for your disk drives or anything like that. You'll need drivers for your sound card, maybe a modem, graphics card etc, all of which you can get online or with the CD that came with them originally. If you're reformatting because you're having PC troubles I wouldn't reccomend holding on to any drivers, as you may hold on to something that's giving you troubles in the first place - just install them all again.

Ok, will do. But I am sure this computer came with none - is there anywhere I can download the drivers so I can burn them to a disk and use them?

And Odwin, is Yoper easy to set up or is thereh lots of technical knowledge you must know to get it started?