NEurope
PioRow

Rechargable batteries

Battery pack + charger = wired controller

But a battery charger and an extra set of rechargeable batteries for £5 from Dixons. That way you will always have a set, use one set, and charge the others, then when they run out swap them around.

not to mention if you don't have a close enough plug in you cant play at all :cry:

though nintendo coud release a thingy to recharge alkaline double as through the expansion port. :bowdown:

think: how does the nunchuk get power as ling as ninty dosent put a diode between the expansion port and the batteries a 3rd partty could even make one. :geek:

and if they died in the middle of play time you could just change the batteries. :idea:

affter playing the charger could even act as a stand thingy :yay:

It would be the perfect gift for wii owners (just wanted to use another smilly) :santa:

How can you use a massive amount of emoticons without :horse:?

And I don't really get your argument. Or were you agreeing? Either way, someone more informed than I will probably say you're wrong. Unless you're right, then you'll definitely be told you're wrong.

Rick if you knew what the fuck you were talking about you'd know that the tech has evolved beyond lithium ion batteries into lithium polymer batteries and even beyond.

The new iPods have lithium polymers.

Don't start the environmental debate, rechargeables are good for 800 charge cycles. When you consider the Wii is a low powered system, and doesn't require a high power consumption television batteries are an insignificance on a CO2 level.

You say for the price you expected quality li-ion batteries.. these are the same batteries that have had over a million recalls from Apple, Toshiba, IBM and Dell because they're unsafe. The same batteries that plagued iPod owners because they were non replaceable?

You clearly know shit all about battery technology.. if you take some Ni-Mh batteries, which work out at about £8 for 4.. and they're designed for digital cameras with high intensity flashes. They last for weeks in my CD player.

Battery packs have no distinct advantage except I will acknowledge that it forces consumers to not use disposables.

I am aware of the fact li-polymers exist, thanks. However they would more expensive with little extra benefit in this situation.

Wii is low powered and this may offset carbon emissions, great. However the problems with batteries is generally the heavy metals they leach into the ground once landfilled.

You cant say because of a few dodgy laptop batteries exploding that the entire technology is flawed. Chances are you have mobile phone which has a lithium based battery in it, and my ipod or DS hasnt exploded recently.

iPod batteries ARE replaceable, apple have just made the ipod so joe average cant do it. Therefore people assume it cant be done.

Ni-Mh are ok, but why should we pay anouther £16 (for four controllers) when a lithium battery would cost nintendo a couple dollars per unit. Plus it would prevent people from being stupid and using disposables (which atleast some people will).

We're gonna have to agree to disagree then.

Most consumers will appreciate the safety, convenience and cost that they are saving (initially) by not having plug and charge kits.. If they are wise consumers they will use the AA's ethically and not spend more in the long run.

I think you exagerate the costs.. if you can afford 4 controllers (and nunchucks?) then you can afford the £16 for some batteries.. in fact it's a freakin insignificance. Most houses these days have rechargeable batteries anyway.

Kids + Power sources + cables + playing = disaster.

Kids can operate batteries safely, change them in a few seconds without disturbing play.. and it's still wireless as intended.

Easier to pass health and safety regulations (which believe it or not are quite strict in the US and EU) cheaper and quicker to produce.

If the battery supplier can't meet demand, like with certain iPods.. then production stops.. AA batteries for the win.

What if you take your Wii controller round a friends? you don't want to take a charger too.. because if your friend is using it then he wont have a spare.

AA batteries can be found in TV remotes for emergencies.

i agree with dick tbh i do think nintendo have messed up, but it is a small error as it is something i can live with and quite frankly have too. so rechargables FTW but it would have been nice to have had the choice.

I'm with Nintendork on this one. I just bought my battery charger and some Ni-Mh batteries. Ni-Mh batteries are green, so no problem there. The charger only takes 15 mins to charge them to full, so it's perfect for short-notice multiplayer. :)

Also, high capacity Ni-Mhs last for absolutely AGES.

I think the Wiimotes are just fine as they are.

I'm with Nintendork on this one. I just bought my battery charger and some Ni-Mh batteries. Ni-Mh batteries are green, so no problem there. The charger only takes 15 mins to charge them to full, so it's perfect for short-notice multiplayer. :)

Also, high capacity Ni-Mhs last for absolutely AGES.

I think the Wiimotes are just fine as they are.

I'm also in agreement with Nintendork. 2-1 thus far.

I was planning to get rechargeable batteries before the launch, looks like Ni-Mh batteries are the way to go :) are they available from anywhere?

I got my battery charger from Argos - comes with a pack of 4 AA Ni-Mhs.

It's an Uniross Sprint 15min LCD charger, you can see it on page 1703 of the current Argos catalogue, bottom right corner.

It's also online: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9804575.htm

It costs £40, which makes it one of the most expensive chargers, but it's got a sensor to regulate power and a fan to prevent overheating batteries.

There are plenty of cheaper chargers, but bear in mind the manual chargers can be a pain because they charge VERY slowly and there is a risk of overheating if you leave the batteries in too long. Try to buy a charger that has a timer and/or sensor. There's a nice Uniross from Argos for £20, charges in 90 mins and has 4 AA Ni-Mhs.

The most important tip is: look at the capacity (measured in mAh) of the batteries you're buying. The higher the capacity, the better. 700mAh is pretty crappy, maybe look for at LEAST 1300 mAh if you want your batteries to have decent longevity.

I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to rechargeables, maybe Nintendork knows a lot more than me. :p

can we not turn this into a game of my cock is much bigger than yours? everyone can have an opinion..

and who has multiple accounts? that's really gay.. my argument isn't an entirely original one: Joystiq made most of the points I'm talking about- with a button centric controller this isn't much of a problem but with the free hand controller being tied to a plug will be a serious flaw. I just adapted their argument to the Wii.

http://xbox360.joystiq.com/2005/12/05/xbox-360-wireless-controllers-arent-xbox-360-annoyance-002/

I just hope there is a sufficient warning on the Wii remote so that we know when to change batteries when playing online (in between games/lobbby)

i personally have the £20 from Argos, which I seem to remember paying £17 for (shop around), works fine for my stuff around the house.

ok i think nintendork has had enough of the battery discussion or am i just picking up the wrong signals?

I just hope there is a sufficient warning on the Wii remote so that we know when to change batteries when playing online (in between games/lobbby)

Well if the Sky remote is clever enough to warn you then the Wii-mote must be... surely!!!

I would like the Wimote telling us when the battery is low clearly - One annoying thing about the DS is that it doesn't do this.

I got my battery charger from Argos - comes with a pack of 4 AA Ni-Mhs.

It's an Uniross Sprint 15min LCD charger, you can see it on page 1703 of the current Argos catalogue, bottom right corner.

It's also online: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9804575.htm

It costs £40, which makes it one of the most expensive chargers, but it's got a sensor to regulate power and a fan to prevent overheating batteries.

There are plenty of cheaper chargers, but bear in mind the manual chargers can be a pain because they charge VERY slowly and there is a risk of overheating if you leave the batteries in too long. Try to buy a charger that has a timer and/or sensor. There's a nice Uniross from Argos for £20, charges in 90 mins and has 4 AA Ni-Mhs.

The most important tip is: look at the capacity (measured in mAh) of the batteries you're buying. The higher the capacity, the better. 700mAh is pretty crappy, maybe look for at LEAST 1300 mAh if you want your batteries to have decent longevity.

I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to rechargeables, maybe Nintendork knows a lot more than me. :p

Thanks for the info, it's really useful. Now I've to find that in Italy...

P.S. mike-zim's sujjestion seems interesting, too. ^^

i think it does. the red light gives it away just so you know.

I should of explained it a bit better - I can't tell when the DS is low on battery. Sure, it changes from green to red. But The green and red look exactly the same (to me). Blue to Red. That would be perfect.

I would like the Wimote telling us when the battery is low clearly - One annoying thing about the DS is that it doesn't do this.

IIRC the light at the bottom will flash at different speeds to tell you how much battery life you have left. I think it flashes when you turn it on and when it get's to each step (3/4, 1/2, 1/4 etc)

sorry a bit insensitive there of me. didn't realise what you meant. any way they cant use the same system because you wont be looking at the wiimote when you are playing so having a light on the actual controller would be stupid. a warning on screen would be the best thing.

I should of explained it a bit better - I can't tell when the DS is low on battery. Sure, it changes from green to red. But The green and red look exactly the same (to me). Blue to Red. That would be perfect.

Blame your Mum, it's her fault!!!! (That's if you're genuinely colour blind!!)

sorry a bit insensitive there of me. didn't realise what you meant. any way they cant use the same system because you wont be looking at the wiimote when you are playing so having a light on the actual controller would be stupid. a warning on screen would be the best thing.

Like I was saying earlier, the Sky put up a "your batteries are low" screen up when your Sky remote needs changing!!