NEurope
PioRow

Rechargable batteries

Seeing as the Wiimote and nunchuck will need batteries why hasnt nintendo announced some sort of battery pack and charger like the 360 has? And before people comment about how easy it is to go out, buy some rechargable batteries and a recharger I think that the way the 360 recharges the controller is perfect. WHy hasnt the Wii implemented a similar design?

Becuase it would mean plugging in your controller for however long it takes to recharge, effectively ending your playing stint! What happens if the batteries run out in the middle of a multiplayer game? You're screwed thats what!

They may well be able to make a USB charger for them, but that would mean you can't plug in the nunchuck so it would make it rather useless tbh.

I'm just going to get a load of batteries and when one couple runs out, I'll chuck in another full set and then charge the empty ones and repeat.

Battery pack + charger = wired controller

But a battery charger and an extra set of rechargeable batteries for £5 from Dixons. That way you will always have a set, use one set, and charge the others, then when they run out swap them around.

well the batteries last 30-60 hours (which is awesome) :heh: So long as you've got 8 pairs of batteries you'll be fine :heh:

Or buy some rechargable ones from maplins or a cheap shop or something.

an rechargable batteries will work won't they? why does everyone rely on nintendo to release batteries?

Rechargable batterys and charger are not that expensive and work for more than an year.

Not using an internal battery makes Wii cheaper.

I'll be getting new rechargable batteries at the start of December and have them ready for the release.

Argos currently do a pack of 50 Philips batteries for £9.99. So good for 25 wii controller changes.

WHAT!!!

We have to put batteries in them!

FFS! Why cant we have a 360 style recharge thing!

GGGGRRRRRR!!!

You have to put batteries in the 360 wireless pads too.

I'd imagine if there's a perceived demand for it Nintendo will think about making an official Play & Charge kit-type thing for the Wii, but they probably don't want to imply to customers that the controllers will be even more expensive than they already are.

WHAT!!!

We have to put batteries in them!

FFS! Why cant we have a 360 style recharge thing!

GGGGRRRRRR!!!

You know that charger costs £15? Do you really want to pay another £15 on top of the controller?

Batteries are better noobs, we've had this debate.

If you have a battery pack you have to buy a branded Nintendo charge cable or docking station. Yes it looks nice but doesn't function.

What happens when you're mid game.. and the batteries run out.. you have to plug it into the wall to carry on playing (health and safety risk) which is restrictive of the free hand feeling.

By using AA batteries it's cheaper, and you can be prepared.. by always having a spare pare of recharged or disposable batteries so you can pause- quickly change them in about 5 seconds and get back into your game.

AA batteries rule,

advantages:

Cheap

Quick to change and replace, can anyone say iPod battery?

100% wireless all the time

International standard, lowering production costs.

If you lack the organisational skill to have a rechargeable AA cradle with a couple of batteries in it for rotation when you play Wii then you are a noob.

ing%20concept%20dock%20revolution%20mando-thumb.jpg

Looks cool? Hell yes.

Cheap? Hell no.

Not only that but if you want a stupid dock you'll need a second controller to play with whilst the other is on charge.. and that brings a whole load of new logistical and calibration issues.

Joystiq said their experience of the 360 play and charge kit is that it defeats the point of wireless play as they just leave the controllers on charge constantly because they are lazy and it screws up their xbox live tournamemts.

Do you reckon we will get a couple of batteries with our Wii-Motes etc..?

Gotta remember to buy some nearer the time!

Do you reckon we will get a couple of batteries with our Wii-Motes etc..?

Gotta remember to buy some nearer the time!

If i remember correctly I found a list of what you get in the box and it ha listed some AA batteries.

Nintendork speaketh' the truth.

You can buy AA batteries cheap form anywhere. Maplins own are really good, and sometiems they do deals and such like buy 2 get one free or something. We have loads of maplin batteries. I've actually got one of the 'strand' things, next to my 360 pad nesting place, so quick change over when batteries are dead.

Everone seems to be of the opinion "oh youll have to have a second one to keep playing"

Well how long exactly do you play?

Play then charge play then charge. I could only imagine that youd need two controllers if you intended on a 48 hour straight stint, which wouldnt be the norm no matter how many people here would have one.

Seriously its like comparing the DS to the GBA in terms of power supply

You can buy packs of 50 from all over the place for dirt cheap, i really don't think it is an issue, I even bought some from the pound shop once for my wavebird and they still lasted for absolutely ages.

I'll be getting a battery charger. :) Going for a sensor charger as it can tell how much power the batteries have and will avoid overcharging them, plus it'll keep them topped up until you use them.

I'll get a spare pack of batteries if/when I get a 3rd Wiimote.

I know that disposable batteries are cheap, but they'll cost you more in the long run - rechargables can last for years (1000 charges or so).

I think Nintendo really fucked this up tbh.

I dread to think of the all the millions of dead batteries in landfill thanks to them not implementing a decent li-ion battery which would have lasted much longer than some crappy AA job. Thats is unless, they are giving away rechargables with every controller (which seems unlikely).

I think Nintendo really fucked this up tbh.

I dread to think of the all the millions of dead batteries in landfill thanks to them not implementing a decent li-ion battery which would have lasted much longer than some crappy AA job. Thats is useless, they are giving away rechargables with every controller (which seems unlikely).

What about Microsoft? Xbox controllers take AAs too.

Just because they are doing it, doesnt mean nintendo should really. Plus for the price I was kinda expecting it be rechargable.

Anyway i dont think microsoft do environmental, just look at the xbox.

Urgh, the battery argument again.

Wiimote is meant to be wireless. it's just not practical to play games like Wii sports with wires.

AA's allow you to keep playing without having to charge or plug in your controller. You just put in some fully charged ones (i already got some rechargables and a top notch charger which takes 15 mins to fully charge them) or some new standard batteries. AA'S ARE THE BEST OPTION

Rick if you knew what the fuck you were talking about you'd know that the tech has evolved beyond lithium ion batteries into lithium polymer batteries and even beyond.

The new iPods have lithium polymers.

Don't start the environmental debate, rechargeables are good for 800 charge cycles. When you consider the Wii is a low powered system, and doesn't require a high power consumption television batteries are an insignificance on a CO2 level.

You say for the price you expected quality li-ion batteries.. these are the same batteries that have had over a million recalls from Apple, Toshiba, IBM and Dell because they're unsafe. The same batteries that plagued iPod owners because they were non replaceable?

You clearly know shit all about battery technology.. if you take some Ni-Mh batteries, which work out at about £8 for 4.. and they're designed for digital cameras with high intensity flashes. They last for weeks in my CD player.

Battery packs have no distinct advantage except I will acknowledge that it forces consumers to not use disposables.

Rick if you knew what the fuck you were talking about you'd know that the tech has evolved beyond lithium ion batteries into lithium polymer batteries and even beyond.

The new iPods have lithium polymers.

Don't start the environmental debate, rechargeables are good for 800 charge cycles. When you consider the Wii is a low powered system, and doesn't require a high power consumption television batteries are an insignificance on a CO2 level.

You say for the price you expected quality li-ion batteries.. these are the same batteries that have had over a million recalls from Apple, Toshiba, IBM and Dell because they're unsafe. The same batteries that plagued iPod owners because they were non replaceable?

You clearly know shit all about battery technology.. if you take some Ni-Mh batteries, which work out at about £8 for 4.. and they're designed for digital cameras with high intensity flashes. They last for weeks in my CD player.

Battery packs have no distinct advantage except I will acknowledge that it forces consumers to not use disposables.

*Backs away from the derranged batery man*

:D