NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
KingOfHyrule

Wii's EDTV support for all the tech heads

Since we know Wii will support progressive scan output (EDTV) a question has been fumbling about in my head for a while - do you think Nintendo will be lazy and give us PAL regions 480p (NTSC EDTV standard) display as opposed to PAL 576p? It would be nice to see Nintendo recognise our higher resolution standard and work with it - but then again I could be talking out of my arse.

Make sure your arse is well protected, Nintendo likes to fuck European arse.

Yeah, it's just Nintendo, though. Nobody else. Everyone else treats Europe like a Godly State.

Yeah, it's just Nintendo, though. Nobody else. Everyone else treats Europe like a Godly State.

Well in the case of PS3, Sony isn't treating it perfectly. But outside of gaming, Sony is pretty good with Europe. We get TV sets that Americans and Japanese never get, and for technology that's delayed, we usually get many US/Jap faults ironed out in our releases. With PS3, our versions will probably be better, and will have any immediate problems from the international release sorted out.

As for Microsoft, they treat Europe the best. They launched 360 here just over a week after the US. Games are pretty much launched at the same time.

I think a lot of that comes from japan and the US sharing so many standards (NTSC, 110v power, etc...) as well as europe being a smaller part of the gaming market.

I actually doubt we'll get 576p but I don't think they are too lazy technology-wise.

I actually see a problem that the games also need a different resolution and this would mean that if a game already runs on low fps the frames would drop further.

And I think many developers would be too lazy to support 576.

Games are rendered in 480 vertical lines anyway (640x480 and 852x480 in the Wii's case) so 576p wouldn't make a difference. You can't ask devvies to render their games in higher resolutions.

Does The cube support progressive scan?

Yep, But not pal cube games. NTSC game and freeloader and a cube that was produced before may 2004. Oh, and the component cable :)

Games are rendered in 480 vertical lines anyway (640x480 and 852x480 in the Wii's case) so 576p wouldn't make a difference. You can't ask devvies to render their games in higher resolutions.

A man that knows his stuff! I take it that 640x480 is 4:3 and 852x480 is 16:9? So we're stuck with 480p...oh well. At least the games with 16:9 as well as prog scan support will look pretty on any HDTV.

Sign in to follow this