N-Europe

What The Hell Is Wrong With My Computer?!

Eddage

OK techie forumites, I seriously need your help!

Basically my computer keeps freezing and I have no idea why!? Since the problem started I have changed everything (motherboard, processor, power supply, new hard drive - even put my old graphics card in to see if that was the cause) but no matter what I do the problem remains. It's even worse with my new hard drive if I take my old one out (when the old one is out it's lucky to last 5 minutes from start up before it freezes)! I have a feeling that it may be the motherboard and maybe some if it's ports are screwed (the new hard drive is SATA rather than IDE, also my dvd rewriter doesn't seem to work anymore), but obviously I'm not sure and don't wanna waste (any more!) money replacing something if it wont solve the problem!

Is there some sort of program I can download that can run diagnostics on the board or something, or have any of you guys had a similar problem and so know the solution?

Muchas gracias for any help!

Certainly...

Motherboard = ASUS PV4800D-X

Processor = Intel Pentium 4E (Prescott) 3.0GHz FSB800 Socket 478 1MB Cache OEM Processor

Graphics Card = ATI Radeon X800 GT (can't find a link, the one thats in at the moment is a Geforce something or other, but thats quite old)

Hard drive = Seagate 80GB, IDE (old one)

Hard drive 2 = Seagate ST3250820AS 250GB 7200RPM SATA300 8MB Cache - OEM (new one, freezing is worse when just this hard drive is installed)

Power Supply = 400W (possibly this one, something similar anyway)

i think it a over heating prob, either your PSU ventilation is messed up thus letting excess heat into the system or quite possibly your CPU is not installed properly i.e the heat sink/ thermal paste is not correctly installed, go into your bios and see the temps on your system, anything above 60c is bad

Cheap PSU's are bad bad bad, however, I don't think it is the cause of your problems. Could you give us some examples of when it happens? Maybe under heavy cpu load or during frequent memory access's?

Well when its just the new hard drive in then it will freeze for no apparent reason, e.g. simply just loading up internet explorer or something equally stupid. With the old one it does seem to freeze more often if I try to play music or something, but even if I'm just using I.E then it will eventually freeze without heavy load. Although I have noticed sometimes that when I bring up task manager the CPU usage is inexplicably around 95%, even with nothing running, although this type of occurance seems to be completely random!

Can you recommend me any decent PSU's?

i think it a over heating prob, either your PSU ventilation is messed up thus letting excess heat into the system or quite possibly your CPU is not installed properly i.e the heat sink/ thermal paste is not correctly installed, go into your bios and see the temps on your system, anything above 60c is bad

I thought it might have been theat as well, which is why I started leaving the sides off, and that did seem to help, but then when it's just the new hard drive it still freezes up almost instantly, i'll have a gander at the temps and report back!

EDIT: Just turned the computer on and the current temp is around 45 C, I'll wait for it to freeze, restart it and then look again to see if its any higher!

EDIT 2: It just froze, happened about a minute after someone started talking to me on MSN. I resterted and had a look in the bios, the temp was aroun 49 C, but then dropped down to 35 C, then back up to 45 C, all within a few seconds!? My CPU usage also seems to be all over the place!

EDIT 3: It just froze before it even logged on, surely that rules out the overheating possibility!? (It had been off for a couple of hours so would be cold)!