NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Phube

Photo Viewer, You don't get it do you??

Let's just end this by saying that with you long cable and all-powerful PC and no family to show photos to... The Photo Channel is not for you!!

But for other people out there, this IS a very good thing, and will get the older generation playing with the Wii controller!!! This is the kind of in road Nintendo are looking for with their Wii Channels!

Do you read your own posts? Do you actually feel limited in your own possibility to show photos to your family? Come on.

Old people getting to play Wii games through the possibility of photos? I mean, that's ridiculous.

And by the way by cable, I mean I actually connect my camera to my TV. It works exactly the same.

Do you read your own posts? Do you actually feel limited in your own possibility to show photos to your family? Come on.

Old people getting to play Wii games through the possibility of photos? I mean, that's ridiculous.

And by the way by cable, I mean I actually connect my camera to my TV. It works exactly the same.

TBH yes I am limited, like I've previously mentioned I have to boot up the PC (which take 5 mins!) load the sofware then with me in the only chair and whoever crouching/standing I'll naviget the photos for them... certainly not ideal!! My parent are from the generation where you used to sit on the sofa and look through pictures with someone and Wii-Photo channel is the next best thing IMO.

Why ridiculous? Picture the scene there you are showing you Mum and Dad your holiday snaps via the Wii-Mote, even letting them do it to show how easy it is. When finished "Oh you've gotta play this tennis/bowling/golf game, it's dead good, you even use this as the controller, look!" My Dad (58) had to suffer watching me play hour upon hour of Monkey ball, but never wanted a go due to the control method, but he played Brain Traing on my DS due to the interface, the interface is VERY important to older folks!

Again I repeat, obviously Wii-Channels are not for you, but then they weren't designed for you.

TBH yes I am limited, like I've previously mentioned I have to boot up the PC (which take 5 mins!) load the sofware then with me in the only chair and whoever crouching/standing I'll naviget the photos for them... certainly not ideal!! My parent are from the generation where you used to sit on the sofa and look through pictures with someone and Wii-Photo channel is the next best thing IMO.

Why ridiculous? Picture the scene there you are showing you Mum and Dad your holiday snaps via the Wii-Mote, even letting them do it to show how easy it is. When finished "Oh you've gotta play this tennis/bowling/golf game, it's dead good, you even use this as the controller, look!" My Dad (58) had to suffer watching me play hour upon hour of Monkey ball, but never wanted a go due to the control method, but he played Brain Traing on my DS due to the interface, the interface is VERY important to older folks!

Again I repeat, obviously Wii-Channels are not for you, but then they weren't designed for you.

very good-very true post!

head his words people!!!

lots of older people have digital cameras and cant be arsed to go through the hassle of paying for a picture disk just to show people on tv-its stupid and not impromptu, with Wii you can take a picture and secnds later be displaying it to everyone.

thats the appeal of it.

As for connecting your camera to TV. No one I know actually does this, they might have the cable but they dont even know what its for. This way is a lot easier.

very good-very true post!

head his words people!!!

lots of older people have digital cameras and cant be arsed to go through the hassle of paying for a picture disk just to show people on tv-its stupid and not impromptu, with Wii you can take a picture and secnds later be displaying it to everyone.

thats the appeal of it.

Are you suggesting they don't want to pay a few pounds for a picture disc but will have no problem paying £180 for a games console just to do exactly the same thing?

This is just a nice extra for us to piss about with our photo's,. I wonder if they will let us map faces from photo's onto characters we use in FPS games just like they where going to with perfect dark on the N64.

Are you suggesting they don't want to pay a few pounds for a picture disc but will have no problem paying £180 for a games console just to do exactly the same thing?

He didn't mean to buy the console just to do this, its an extra incentive to buy this other other consoles.

This is just a nice extra for us to piss about with our photo's,. I wonder if they will let us map faces from photo's onto characters we use in FPS games just like they where going to with perfect dark on the N64.

Very true, surely if there was dvd playback and this then its more mainstream

My TV is bigger than my PC monitor, so the picture look bigger. Also, you can chop the image, or video into pieces, and it jumbles them up for you to reassemble. What's cool about this is the fact you can do it whilst the video is running, making it actually, quite a challenge. Another reason I'd choose this over the PC is because it has that really cool spiralling animation of photos when you zoom in and out. That's what Nintendo's edge is with all these channels. They've added a way to play with them like toys, making the whole photo editing task a lot more enjoyable, and the same with viewing the weather. Spinning the globe is surprisingly fun 4 a strange reason. I'm also getting the Opera browser, because it means you have instant access to the Internet Movie Databse when you're watching a film. What's that actor been in before, lets have a quick look without turing on the PC. Or quickly pulling up a walkthrough from Game FAQs. I thyink Wii channels looks really exciting.

Very true, surely if there was dvd playback and this then its more mainstream

i agree with you for once-but then the cost would increase by another 20-30 quid due to DVD licensing and stuff-then the few people who are moaning at 180 will be moaning even loader if it was 210 or so.

i wouldnt mind paying 200 or 210 for a DVD equipped Wii but hey thats just me.

I've given this photo stuff some more thought, mainly after a few screen caps of it.

Its obviously not meant for professional editing, you need a PC for that. But for "PC scared generation" ie my parents, it could be easy for them to use.

Whether this could help "expand the market" I have no idea, to me its not a selling point (although I will have fun with it). To other less computer "savvy" users it may be.

Still no need to take out DVD, if they included it as an option then that negates "extra cost" if you dont want it, apart from maybe $5 extra for the connector. Perhaps on Wii-SP (Or Panasonic-Wii) it will be included.

Wii-photo + Wii DVD + slightly lower price would definately have been a winner, now still not convinced. Hopefully is is.

i wonder if anyone here actually listens to what is said in the conferences. Iwata has acknowledged that these channels dont bring anything new and that PCs can do a better job at it. What he is getting at is the convience and family experience that can be had with it, but also for those genrations that are imitimated by PCs, they have simplified access to news, weather, photo and internet information - obviously that is not our generation, so i dont expect us to truly appreciate what is being done.

My mum recently learned to use a PC, but she still isnt that good at it, she still makes very simple mistakes, she wouldnt be able to understand working digital cameras on the PC - for her generation for her generation the wii makes these things more accessible.

Nintendo's best hope for reaching that generation would be that the younger generation of the household pays for the console initially, but that older generations enjoy the channels and maybe invest in touch generation games (like brain and diet training) which are more suitable to them.

From what I've read on here by many poster is:

"Wow a photo viewer... I can do it on my PC... *whine* But teh DVD... *whinge* PC does it better... what's the point..." etc.

What you whingers fail to realise is this is presicely the application that will get non gamers interested. I don't know about you but have you tried to show 2 sets of parents your holiday snaps on your PC.

It involves, sometimes, 6 people crouching round a PC (usually in the smallest room of the house) while you navigate with a mouse. Not ideal at all!!

Now picture this (no pun intended) you invite the folks over to see your holiday snaps, put the SD card in your Wii, turn on the TV, make a cuppa for everyone then you all sit on the sofa as you watch/navigate your holiday snaps on the TV. Easy as!!

This idea is pure genius!! Get used to it!!

it wont work just like it doesnt work on any old dvd player and dont tell u woulnt have prefered dvd playback to this

it wont work just like it doesnt work on any old dvd player and dont tell u woulnt have prefered dvd playback to this

I have a perfectly good DVD player in the lounge anyway, why would I want two next to each other?? So to be honest I'd rather have any number of 'Wii-Channels' good, bad or indifferent to a DVD playback function!!!

I have a perfectly good DVD player in the lounge anyway, why would I want two next to each other?? So to be honest I'd rather have any number of 'Wii-Channels' good, bad or indifferent to a DVD playback function!!!

and most dvd players have photo slideshows well at least mine does

and most dvd players have photo slideshows well at least mine does

Is that with memory cards, or with DVD/CD's?? And are the easy to navigate, cause even navigating DVD extras is really annoying on 99% of DVD remotes I've used!

Quite honestly Phube, you're exaggerating this. It's a nice addition for some people, but I doubt it adds much value to the whole package. People who don't play games won't get a single bit more interested about the Wii when it has the possibility to show photos, as their cameras/DVD players/PCs can already do it cheaper in ways they are familiar with. Even the Wii needs boot up time for this and a seperate SD card if your camera doesn't use one.

Quite honestly Phube, you're exaggerating this. It's a nice addition for some people, but I doubt it adds much value to the whole package. People who don't play games won't get a single bit more interested about the Wii when it has the possibility to show photos, as their cameras/DVD players/PCs can already do it cheaper in ways they are familiar with. Even the Wii needs boot up time for this and a seperate SD card if your camera doesn't use one.

I'm not saying I'm buying a Wii to show photos on my television, that would be ludicrous!! Nor am I expecting it to sell any more systems for nintendo. What I am saying is that the inclusion of Wii-Photo (and other channels) will make the overall package of the Wii much more user friendly. And if there is a better (easier and quicker) way to show a lot of people photos then I havn't seen it.

Finally, all I'm going on with the speed bit is what Reggis and Iwata have said, that the Wii will have Instantaneous On functionality about it.

In the end can we just agree to disagree on the subject? :)

Sure :smile: It just seemed silly how you called it so brilliant like some fanboy, but I guess I misinterpreted.

Sign in to follow this