N-Europe

What can cause downloading slowdown?

Conor_NE

I mean severe slowdown - I'm on a 2.2MB connection, and downloading games trailers etc. drops to about 30kb/sec, watching stuff on gamevideos is impossible because they stutter horribly. Web pages load up alright though - bit slower than usual, but not too bad. I've been doing spyware, adware and virus scans, getting rid of all that sort of stuff, but it hasn't had an effect. (by the way I use FF)

I'm going to rip my toes off with pliers in frustration. Someone please help me. :hmm:

Shut down all things you think that can be connected to Internet (MSN, Browser, P2P programs, etc...).

Then go to Start Menu > Run > cmd

When in the command line, write: netstat

It will show any on going connections, see what you can find about them.

If you're on cable the bandwidth is shared between all the people in the building. For example if the connection from the building to the isp is 10Mbps, it doesn't take more than five 2Mbps connections to reach the limit. So if there are more than that using the internet at the same time the speed drops.

DSL however shouldn't have that problem. But try the speedtest. And it might not be your connection/computer that has the problem.

If my Temporary Internet Files folder gets too big it slows down my whole internet - so just clear the folder.

Other than that it could be that the server is overcrowed and therefore very slow.

I'd also recommend to install DU Meter, that shows exactly what amount of bandwidth is currently used.

Shut down all things you think that can be connected to Internet (MSN, Browser, P2P programs, etc...).

Then go to Start Menu > Run > cmd

When in the command line, write: netstat

It will show any on going connections, see what you can find about them.

netstat -b

It's better as it will show you what executables are responsible for such connections.