N-Europe

Rumour: Nintendo should worry...

Dilli Gee

The truth is that Project Gotham Racing 3 was overhyped and many reviewers found lots of excuses to give it higher score to it than it really should had. Same was with Perfect Dark Zero where many serious flaws were often ignored by saying "online game is sooo goood" (and even that wasn't that great in reality).

And it also had choppy framerate.

I actually think that next generation launch titles always tend to be overated, Microsoft just took advantage of it, being the first next generation console out there.

It's always hard to judge stuff, I mean... IMO I might play a game today and all, and the game is good, and I love it, but 6 months from now, when it settles, what will I really think of it? what about a year after? and so on. Great games will always pass the test of time, like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, N64 Zeldas, etc.

Case 1:

PGR3... It was a flasgship title, the in-house-developer game that was supposed to shift consoles, so most of the weight of supporting the console went to it, it's kind of improper for a console launching to have a game like CoD2 a multiplatform game as the best game available, a third party offering and not exclusive at that...

1up even gave PGR3 a perfect score, while other sites were giving it average scores:

-> http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3145713&did=1

It had a obligation and thus was judged with that in mind, even if it didn't deliver.

This reminds me how a GTA and a FF game (even when they are crap like X-2) they always have to have more than 9.0 at ign (and most sites), it's almost a obligation, we just know that if it was another franchise, a unknown one, it would be reviewed harshly for it's shortcommings. lastly there's a public to please.

Case 2:

Oblivion... when it launched there was a big rave on how good the game was, how next gen it was it overabuse from bloom lightning and how complex it was...

Reviewers gave it perfect 10's after playing 10/20 hours out of it, not finishing, infact some didn't even tackle the mainquest. Now this is what I call judging Ocarina of Time after passing the Deku Tree.

The fun thing is that I don't hear anyone saying it is the best game ever any more. Or giving it perfect scores for that matter, I even heard the mainquest is kind of dull and badly dificulty adjusted.

Said this I wouldn't even give a 10 to Ocarina of Time (or any game for that matter), seeing games critics giving them like a natural thing is kind of awkward; and wrong.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always hard to judge stuff, I mean... IMO I might play a game today and all, and the game is good, and I love it, but 6 months from now, when it settles, what will I really think of it.

Yeah, Cube had similar "problem" in launch. I mean, Rogue Squadron II did get 9.4 in Gamespot, which I think is way too much. It's good game, but not exceptional.

Yeah, Cube had similar "problem" in launch. I mean, Rogue Squadron II did get 9.4 in Gamespot, which I think is way too much. It's good game, but not exceptional.
They were blown away by the graphics. We've got to see that, gaming sites are run by computer geeks, and rich computer geeks at that... meaning they are the ones who have a 1080p TV and a Dolby Digital 7.1 system... meaning they'll whine for years if their "unusual" setup is not supported, because they are a minority.

They will lower the score for stupid things like "lack of anamorphic 16:9", "lack of 16:9", "lack of progressive scan", "lack of high definition" I mean... what do I care? If the graphics are great why going to that extent? it's judging them for what they aren't. It's being more of a graphics whore than being a gamer (something that should never happen), if what they like are graphics I'd advise them Toy Story/Shrek over Resident Evil 4/Metroid Prime.

Well we should have more accurate reviews for Wii, because it'll be hard to be "blown away" by the graphics - it's all down to game mechanics and controls.
Dunno, Wii has his own points, first it promises to be leaps and bounds better for shooters (for example), this might lead for the first shooters to have ridiculously high scores just because or that, or, if the developers don't master it at first the games might score lower due to not being up to the chalenge.

Wii might turn into a "Hit or Miss" kind of thing at first, as everything new turns out to be at the beggining, but we have Nintendo developing games here and the developers ought to master it.

Xbox 360 has made sure PS2/Xbox games from last generation will still be released; Microsoft nabbed the exclusive "next-gen" rights to BOTH Pro-Evo and Fifa for 2007.

That means Konami and EA will still be releasing PS2 games.

They didn't nab them, it just happened, it's just that those won't be available in next gen consoles comming out this fall. Last gen consoles still have them though.

winning-eleven-pro-evolution-soccer-2007-20060612045458791.jpg

I wouldn't count this as "next-gen" though, real next gen PES will be in 2008 or so, when, like Teppo said... PS2 is phased out, this PES build is childs play in a next gen console, it's just a direct port of the PS2 engine with some homework done in facial animations and running in HD.

My PC version of PES 5 (running on a Geforce 4 MX) looks exactly like that ^
Precisely, calling this a Xbox 360 exclusive is a little bit... ridiculous, It's like calling GT4 HD a PS3 exclusive when the original ran at 1080i in PS2 (the only one at that)... infact... it's happening. *runs away*

Basically this is only PR talk, and pretty bad one at that.

As for PS2 ports... I still want a PS2 port of Okami to Wii, not a lazy port, of course.