N-Europe

DVD footage to my hard drive?

Mokong

I wanna try my hand at making some AMV's (Anime Music Video) and a few other projects i have on my mind and was wondering what program (and/or hardware) would i need to copy footage off a DVD to my harddrive?

Like is there anything that would let me copy certain parts instead of the whole disc, so that i could get the footage i wanted easier.

Or is there even any such thing?

Yes there is... but i dunno if its even legal Franklin.

So there's no like programs on the net that i could d/l for free?

I have treid to find the footage i want on the net but it's either hard to find or when i do find something it's usually in someone elses AMV and i don't want to be cutting up someone elses work.

Plus i want to be able to it do it for getting some home video footage onto my comp too

• 2 weeks later...

cheers guys, i finally got round to trying these things out, but...

DVDFab Decrypter gets a disc on your hdd, then virtualdubmod could open the vob files so that you can edit and encode.

http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

i tried this one but when i save it using virualdubmod the file is massive, 216MB for a 7min vid, i try to open it to watch and my laptop freezes, i try to import it to movie maker to cut it up and try save it to a smaller size, but it freezes when importing.

And that DVD shrink ain't free:cry:

i tried to search for a dvd ripper but the only one that comes up "has been removed" grrr

:horse:

DVD Shrink is free.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

If you are saving in Virtualdub then the size of the output file depends on the compression you choose. You probably didn't select any compression so you have raw video that is difficult to play. Choose xvid as compressor and try a single pass at a bitrate like 500,600,800, etc or use a single pass quantiser of about 8,9,10. Play around. Don't forget to compress the audio too - obviously mp3 is widely playable.

ah cheers i'll try that when i get home tonight

If you are saving in Virtualdub then the size of the output file depends on the compression you choose. You probably didn't select any compression so you have raw video that is difficult to play. Choose xvid as compressor and try a single pass at a bitrate like 500,600,800, etc or use a single pass quantiser of about 8,9,10. Play around. Don't forget to compress the audio too - obviously mp3 is widely playable.

No i used the smallest compression rate, which was my second attempt cuz the first time i forgot to compress it and ended up with a 13gig file :heh:

OK i d/l'ed Shrink, now here's my problem, again it only allows me to save the dvd to my harddrive as a VOB file which again means i need to use Virtualdubmod to to convert it to a .avi file

On the plus side i played around with the settings and got it to save it to a smaller file (15mb), but it still won't play or import to movie maker, how ever i did get a error message saying i'm missing a codec, anyone have a clue what codec i might be missing, and where to get it?

Or to make things simpilar is is there a way to use Shrink to save the video to my harddrive as a .avi or .mpg or something that won't require another program to convert it that will work in movie maker?