N-Europe

Procrastinating/ Time wasting and all that

darksnowman

Here I am, a summer job has eluded me this year but its been good actually without one... although moneys getting more and more tight but its getting towards that back to Uni time when cash should be at hand (but still need to be looked after if its to last) and Ive already my thoughts turned towards getting employment over the Christmas period - hey itll ruin Christmas but itll put cash in the bank, and unfortunately cash might be more important than enjoying Chrimbo this year. Ah well. :cry:

So you'd think Ive plenty of time on me hands? Well in a sense I do, I keep myself well enough occupied (got some preseason and play badminton with me da aswell as having a girlfriend to devote my time to) but Ive actually got something that needs doing. Ive three pieces of work due in at University in September. I gave myself June and July off and said that Id get caught up on some books (kind of successful) some games (I had some success there too) and find a job (no luck there at all) then get to the Uni work in August. Its now August and Im having bother... with hefty word counts to deal with now is the time to act, Im going into final year so I cant be handing in the sub par, last minute efforts that have got me through til now. Just find a way to get the ball rolling with it and then itll all flow, right? Hmmm, easier said than done. My olds have also booked a holiday for us at the end of August - if its anything but a disaster Ill be suprised!

What have I been doing to kill the mornings and afternoons off then? Well surfing here, thinking about stuff Id like to do - this mostly involves me wanting to dig out the N64 and replay Majoras Mask... and thinking about whats gonna be for lunch and dinner lol. Ive plenty of other things I could do and want to... putting off the work is paramount.

I need motivation.

So guys and gals, what I would like from you in reply is two things. Two things that are kind of opposites. Tell me, what do you find yourself doing when youve something else far more important that needs doing? And secondly, give me some words of motivation, and what gets you finally round to getting school/ uni work done. (hopefully Ill get something other than that the deadline is the next day :shock: and you cant put it off any longer!)

When I should be working, I tell myself it can wait and go out or sit on the PC instead.

If you want to get motivation I suggest picking a date within the next week that you will definitely start on, then go into the effort of thinking up a proper schedule for working on it, then you'll be able to see when it will be over with. I've never done this but it sounds like it might work.

the problem is it takes more effort to come up with the timetable than actually just getting on with the work.

i say sit your ass down and do it. the first hour will be hard but with all the time you have had off your brain will kick in after the rust has worn away.

The trick is not to procrastinate, saying 'i'll do it tomorrow' is the worst excuse ever. Believe me. What you want to do however, is say you'll do it tomorrow before you go to bed. Then, when you wake up (and try to get up at a good hour and by alarm clock - start the day as if on purpose kind of thing) and do it.

So before you go to sleep you say, i'll get up at 9am, ill have breakfast, then its time to kick butt.

Oh and eliminate all distractions the night before too, i.e. have a clean up if needed where you also set up your work space (it'll only be another excuse the next day to set up), dont work with the TV or music on as it'll only tempt you to stop and if you're working on the computer, don't, i repeat dont go on the internet first thing. The old 'i'll just check my emails first' is the worst trap to getting you surfing just because you can.

Do your work. As the saying goes; Work Hard; Play Hard. When you're done working you'll feel alot better and doing things you like guilt free is far more satisfying.