N-Europe

Best USB Adapter?

Goron_3

Hey guys! I need some help!

I recently gave into AOLs free wireless router offer, and it should be arriving next week, however my Laptop doesn't have Wireless built into it, so I need a USB adapter. After reading reviews on Amazon, the Belkin one (which i was originally going to buy, is apparantly AWFUL!

ANyway, I was wondering if you could suggest the best one for me to buy. I have a Laptop with Windows XP, and i don't want to spend more than £30.

Thanks in advance!

I should probably build on my last post because it suddenly seems less than helpful.

Firstly, I didn't notice the bad reviews. They surprised me because I've never had a problem with it. I ignored the software that came with it, used windows to find the drivers on the cd and it's kept me connected ever since.

However this adapter did come packed with the router, so maybe there's better options out there.

Are you determined to get a USB adapter? PCI is always a viable solution, and you shouldn't get overheating problems as long as your pc has no airflow issues.

I should probably build on my last post because it suddenly seems less than helpful.

Firstly, I didn't notice the bad reviews. They surprised me because I've never had a problem with it. I ignored the software that came with it, used windows to find the drivers on the cd and it's kept me connected ever since.

However this adapter did come packed with the router, so maybe there's better options out there.

Are you determined to get a USB adapter? PCI is always a viable solution, and you shouldn't get overheating problems as long as your pc has no airflow issues.

I don't really mind; aslong as i have some way of getting my Laptop to connect to my wireless router because it doesn't have it built in.

What exactly is PCI?

Wifi stuff always gets crap reviews. It seems that in some cases the hardware is just terrible and some cases it works like a charm. I hear E-tech make pretty decent stuff though. A PCI or PCMCIA card from them should only cost $30, so that's not too bad.

You can get good PCMCIA ones on eBay for under £15, they're a lot better than USB ones and the stick into the laptop more.

Well at the moment i think i'll be going for that, because i don't really want to spend too much (it's coming out of my Wii fund :red: )