NEurope
shade

Gamecube RGB cabel on Wii Question

After seeing pictures of the back of the Wii, it is using the same video connection as seen in the N64 and gamecube. I have an official Gamecube RGB Cable. My question is should I be able to use this cable in Wii and still use the widescreen and 400dpi display modes?

I don't really want to pay another £20 for a cable.

First it's 480p, not dpi, second the RGB cable doesn't allow you to display 480p,third widescreen doesn't need any cable, fourth the Wii probably comes with a cable that allows 480p, although that's just speculation.

Hope that helped.

sorry I just get confused not good wih TV modes know how. That has helped thanks.

Somehow I doubt they'll include a component cable, like the bastards that they are. We'll be stuck with RGB cables and composite cables and have to fork out more money to get component. Thank god I bought one for GameCube ages ago :D

sorry I just get confused not good wih TV modes know how. That has helped thanks.

No problem, it's a bloody confusion.

i doubt GC component cables will work, as that used a different connector.

I have no idea about all this also. So I got An RGB cable, the red, white and yellow cable with my purchase of my Cube?

Whats a composite cable?

And what advantages does a component cable have over t'other 2? will it make my Cube games look a lot better on my widescreen tv?

The cable packed in with the Cube is a composite one. An RGB cable allows for a much clearer picture and I really think this is an underused option, the difference is quite big. If you've played RGB-less all this time, then you've really missed out. Buy a third-party one (only €10,-) if you want to use your surround system.

And if you wanna use progressive scan, you'll need a component cable but I'm not sure if that works on PAL games.

Matt C said the cable is based on the same technology, but is slightly different so it won't fit.

Could be bodged I suppose.. I'm no expert.

I play all my Cube games (PAL) using the component cable. The graphics are far sharper and the colours more vibrant than using the composite cable. The display is more comparable to using a PC monitor.

It will be a shame if the connection isn't the same. If it isn't perhaps there will be an adaptor made available.

It was said that Wii will come with a cable like the 360 cable (with composite and component on the same cable) but then it was said that it just comes with a standard composite cable...... i wish they would give us component in the box for once GRRRR

Oh and i'm pretty sure ign said that the cubes component cable will not fit in the Wii, shame.

I think if someone finds a pic of the rear, they could at least say if the GC cable appears to fit the plug

does it come with the scart adaptor like the cube did? will that work with the wii composite cables, do people reckon?

Matt C said the cable is based on the same technology, but is slightly different so it won't fit.

Could be bodged I suppose.. I'm no expert.

Ah fuck...don't tell me they're actually going to change the output format after years of using it? The SNES, N64 and GCN all used the same AV out and I'd be surprised and heartbroken if the Wii didn't allow the GCN component cable to be used.

Ah fuck...don't tell me they're actually going to change the output format after years of using it? The SNES, N64 and GCN all used the same AV out and I'd be surprised and heartbroken if the Wii didn't allow the GCN component cable to be used.

My only thought on this is that as the Wii is so much smaller than previous consoles, they may have had to change the output connections because of space issues - the component cable I've got for my Cube is quite a chunky plug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video <- Isn't RGB cable a different name for component cable?

Techically yes. They both separate the red green and blue. But I think it's slightly better than a scart RGB as it has three separate wires for each color. In the RGB scart cable there's also three separate wires for the colors but they are all in the same thick cable. And the scart RGB uses composite for sync.

Then again digital component cable is very different.

And if you wanna use progressive scan, you'll need a component cable but I'm not sure if that works on PAL games.

PAL gamecube does not support progressive scan.:nono:

My only thought on this is that as the Wii is so much smaller than previous consoles, they may have had to change the output connections because of space issues - the component cable I've got for my Cube is quite a chunky plug.

If you take a look here and watch Matt walk through the Wii console, look closely at the multi-AV/OUT socket at the back, and the power socket - they both look identical to those of the GCN and in terms of the AV socket, identical to the SNES and N64 scart outputs so I'm quite confident that the GCN component cable will be usable with Wii. :yay:

You need a HD TV to use the component cable? I can nay see any RGB slots on the back of my TV.

Also GameStop in the US is offering a Wii component cable (HD Premium) especially for the Wii made by MadCatz.

It's wishful thinking that it will fit.. I'm not so sure.

You need a HD TV to use the component cable? I can nay see any RGB slots on the back of my TV.

Also GameStop in the US is offering a Wii component cable (HD Premium) especially for the Wii made by MadCatz.

It's wishful thinking that it will fit.. I'm not so sure.

You need a TV with component IN sockets to use the component cable, but that's usually an EDTV or a HDTV anyway. But in terms of RGB (analogue), your TV most likely has scart sockets which RGB cables use, unless your TV is ultra ancient :heh: but I'm sure there are scart sockets. If it has more than one scart, the RGB socket is usually the first one.

I've actually just realised - if the Wii has a multi-out socket, I and any other gamer out there who has a GCN component cable actually won't be able to use it on Wii, even if it fits - because it has no audio jacks!! To achieve audio on GCN if using the component cable, the standard composite cable's red and white audio jacks have to also be used coming from the analogue OUT. How sucky is that? Which means we'll have to buy a new bastard component anyway, providing Nintendo have the sense to manufacture one with audio jacks on.

BBC News 25th of December:

Product recalls of over 400,000 Nintendo consoles today took place after Nintendo allegedly forgot to include a sound output for their new Wii console.

Now over the Bridget who is with some children in Exeter.

Yes Sumira I'm here with a few children who were hoping to play their brand new Wii console on Christmas morning only to find it has no sound. Generally the feeling around here is very saddening and depressing. Back to you.

Yes Nintendo has issued the following press release regarding the product recell...

"Ooops"

Yeah I have 4 scart sockets, one if orange and the rest are black so I'm assuming that the orange one is RGB. Cheers.