N-Europe

How to follow up Baten Kaitos on Wii

darksnowman

If you go into the GameCube forum you may have noticed Ive been posting recently in the Baten Kaitos thread. If you've been there in the past you may have noticed I posted in the Tales of Symphonia thread. I find I dont spend much time in the Wii section here, its all just speculation. Yeah, its fun to speculate but still, Im just waiting out for some more facts to be released before I dive the full way in.

I was just in the Tales of for Wii thread and that got me thinking. Were pretty starved of RPGs with Nintendo, the RPG love seems to hit the handhelds more than the home consoles. Baten Kaitos then is a new RPG series with a prequel coming to GameCube this year... unlike Tales of, Baten Kaitos is Nintendo exclusive for the time being. So what I want to know is if/ when they bring this to Wii what do you want to see? We'd be happy to see a Tales of Symphonia sequel/ prequel with the same characters but would we want this with Baten Kaitos seeing as were already awaiting a prequel?

Lets get some ideas flying about!

Can you get the first game cheap somewhere, because I really want to try it to starve my gamelessness. I have no GC games that interest me in playing anymore until I get the Wii, and need a fresh game. Four Swords or Baten Kaitos would do it.

There's bound to be a new Baten Kaitos being made on Wii after Origins comes out. In fact, I'm sure I heard Namco say they intend on developing it into a big series (aka FF) so its looking likely. Also remember they said they were making Baten Kaitos DS but a few weeks later they took it off their list on the site, leading people to believe it's cancelled. Hmmm..

Hmm.. The prequel isn't out yet, and we're already discussing a potential sequel? Oh well.

Of course there's little to say about a potential sequel if you don't know what Baten Kaitos: Origins has to offer.. But, the simplified battle system this game's supposed to has does have me worried a bit.. I thought the battle system in the first game was good, allthough could do with some tweaking, but simplifying it? I wouldn't want to lose defense cards for example. But like I said, without knowing how it'll actually play, I won't comment on it further.

For either the prequel or potential Wii sequel, I would like some better management with evolving magnus cards. In the first game, you had a magnus card who would keep track of the evolved cards, but the card itself would evolve also.. Not very practical. So give us a card that doesn't degrade, shows us what cards have evolved, and maybe even give us a warning when cards are about to evolve. Descriptions of cards should describe what cards they will evolve into, what cards they're evolved from, and what cards they will combo with, as soon as the player has discovered those abilities during battles for themselves. Also, give us more in-game hints as to what cards will combo with eachother.. I didn't discover many combos even when I finished the game.

Further, I'd like to see some more variations on attack animations. The characters generally use their personal attack cards to attack, for example, Kalas uses his swords obviously, but even though their are plenty sword cards for Kalas to use, the attacks look pretty much the same. Some grander effects to differentiate the various elemental attacks, and simply more variation in the attacks themselves.. That's what I'd like to see.

Well, that's all I can think of now.

I would have prefered a sequel to baten kaitos rather than a prequel but i suppose that could have been hard to do if you know how the game ends

I just dont like prequels much because you know how its going to turn out in the end but im still quite looking foward to origins. Baten kaitos was filled with so many twists it was hard to keep up. You dont see a lot of that in games anymore.

I would have prefered a sequel to baten kaitos rather than a sequel but i suppose that could have been hard to do if you know how the game ends

I think that was not what you really want to say....:bouncy:

On topic this make me wondered if most wii rpgs will use the fhc in some way... I hope not because bk or tos can't ever be played like that (or I'm completely wrong....:awesome: )

On topic this make me wondered if most wii rpgs will use the fhc in some way... I hope not because bk or tos can't ever be played like that (or I'm completely wrong....:awesome: )

If they really wanted to, I am sure they are able to re-invent franchises; probably make the games even better by doing this?

has any1 ever played FF8? that had a thing where as soon as squal were to attack the opponenet, if you held own R1, it would deal more dmg and increase rumble. i think the Wii-mote could be used like this, a simple slash down of the Wii-mote could increase damage a little, the faster u swing, the more damage. but of course, you dont have to :)