N-Europe

Will games like Oblivion run well?

Demuwan

I was wondering If games like Elder Scrolls 4 will run well on my PC. If someone has extensive knowledge about graphics cards can you tell me how good these type of games (DOOM 3, Half Life 2 etc) will look on my existing GPU and if it needs updating.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE 512 memory

Im not very good with GPU's and the ATI ones Im told are usually better?

Oooh, 7300. Sounds great, but doesn't really deserve it's 7-series name. HAlf Life 2 will run but not great, Doom 3 I think will be fine. Oblivion won't look too good though.

Damm. Do you think I should upgrade soon then.

Oooh, 7300. Sounds great, but doesn't really deserve it's 7-series name. HAlf Life 2 will run but not great, Doom 3 I think will be fine. Oblivion won't look too good though.

Eh?

what do you mean it'll run HL2, but not great...

My GeForce FX 5700 runs it great...

It will probably run oblivion, just not brilliantly, i'm running it on a radeon 9600. (there are a few tweaks that can dramatically increase performance). Half life 2 runs amazingly on almost everything, its one of the most optomised games ive ever played.

If you want the full oblivion experience i'd rcommend upgrading. I appreciated the game without the flashy graphics, but it woul have been even more amazing with them.

Guest Jordan
Eh?

what do you mean it'll run HL2, but not great...

My GeForce FX 5700 runs it great...

Yes, but remember. Your 5700 was the top of the 5 series.

The 7300 LE is the LOWEST you can get, it wouldn't supprise me if a mid range 6 series could beat it.

It will probably run oblivion, just not brilliantly, i'm running it on a radeon 9600. (there are a few tweaks that can dramatically increase performance). Half life 2 runs amazingly on almost everything, its one of the most optomised games ive ever played.

If you want the full oblivion experience i'd rcommend upgrading. I appreciated the game without the flashy graphics, but it woul have been even more amazing with them.

What card would you suggest?

Damm. Do you think I should upgrade soon then.

I wouldn't say it's an absolute necessity, but I'd imagine system-heavy games like oblivion and FEAR will only be playable on even fairly low settings.

I myself am upgrading soon to a Radeon X1800XT - at £230 it aint quite what you might call a budget option, but it does give you plenty of bang for your buck.

Yes, but remember. Your 5700 was the top of the 5 series.

The 7300 LE is the LOWEST you can get, it wouldn't supprise me if a mid range 6 series could beat it.

Why should that matter surely my card is an upgraged card?

BTW I was getting a radeon 1600 (I think) but they had NONE in stock so they gave me this saying it was better

BTW I was getting a radeon 1600 (I think) but they had NONE in stock so they gave me this saying it was better

They lied. Legally, your allowed to kill them now, provided you do it with a bow and arrow and within the city limits.

The Radeon X1600 is better but not that great, a better mid range card is the Nvidia 7600GT which I have. An old Radeon X850 is better than both the 7300 and X1600 even if it doesn't have the most up to date features (SM 3.0 etc) or a 6800 which does. Or perhaps a Radeon X1800XL

I wouldn't say it's an absolute necessity, but I'd imagine system-heavy games like oblivion and FEAR will only be playable on even fairly low settings.

I myself am upgrading soon to a Radeon X1800XT - at £230 it aint quite what you might call a budget option, but it does give you plenty of bang for your buck.

i have a x1800xt also and its runs all my games perfectly and has 512mb of memory so im happy

Actually it was this graphics card SORRY MY MISTAKE

256MB ATI Radeon® X600 HyperMemory graphics card

EDIT: THIS IS THE CARD THEY WERE ORIGINALY GONNA GIVE ME BUT BECAUSE THEY WERE OUT OF STOCK I GOT THE NVIDIA 1 MENTIONED AT THE TOP.

"The Xbox 360 and PC versions of The Elder Scrolls IV will be patched to fix various bugs this week.

The patch is in the final stages of certification at the moment and the Xbox 360 and PC versions are expected to be released this week.

Bethesda is looking at distribution options for getting the patch to users who aren’t connected to Xbox Live, such as magazine covermounts.

There’s no information at present on the fixes contained in the patch. "

How much are you going to spend on a graphics card? That definaterly decided which one you should buy. I'd personally go ati, but it definaterly depends on what games you will be playing. Even though it shouldnt matter certain games are "sponsored" by one or the other, and usually have lower performance on the other.

My Obvilvion box recommends an X800 ati, or nvidia 6800, so id probably reconmend those minimum if you want to run oblivion in most of its glory

How much are you going to spend on a graphics card? That definaterly decided which one you should buy. I'd personally go ati, but it definaterly depends on what games you will be playing. Even though it shouldnt matter certain games are "sponsored" by one or the other, and usually have lower performance on the other.

My Obvilvion box recommends an X800 ati, or nvidia 6800, so id probably reconmend those minimum if you want to run oblivion in most of its glory

But surely the model I hav now is an upgrade of the 6800. Or Im guessing just beacuse its a higher number doesn't mean its better. which card is more expensive my 7300LE or the 6800 ure suggesting?

Yea higher number doesn't necissarilly mean its a better card. Your, 7300 is a series 7 card, but the lowest 7 series card. The 6800 (and its varients) are the best of the 6 series. You cant get a 6800 from ebuyer for around £120. The 7300LE is around £30, the 7800/7900 is around £200. The 6800 is a decent upgrade choice it was top of the range in the 6 series, but the price has dropped since the launchof the 7 series. So your getting a good cardfor a decent price.

A X1600XT for around £100 isn't that bad either. JUst do a bit of research, price vs performance. take a gander at http://tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/index.html they have a useful "buyers guide" going on at the moment