N-Europe

London MCM Expo 2006

Haver

This Saturday, that is May 27th, the illustrious Guy "Woosel" Hodge, Adam "Dabookerman" Esat, a man who will put knives beneath your nails, PR Rep lethario Chris "CubeChris" Brandwick and my seven-car entourage will be hitting up the London MCM Expo two thousand six at what I have heard called 'the ExCeL', a sprawling edifice of such enormity that it is rumoured 2002 con attendees are only just beginning to surface, their over and undersized keikogi fragmented and worn, much like if one were to go Super Saiyan.

At this convention, forty-year-old men dressed as squirrels aside, there will be people you may have seen on television -- in holo decks, perhaps --, high-profile video game publishers, comic, manga and science fiction authors and many other things that may be considered 'nerdy pursuits'. I like to think I am attending this event purely to watch Hodge quiver as I blow his mind with my incandescent conversation, but I am sure I will be drawn to things of interest. This, however, is certainly not my universe.

We would like you to join us. I can guarentee that I, at least, am not a paedophile, so if it turns out that Chris has employed an elaborate scheme with the use of models and that voice-changer thing out of Home Alone, I will dazzle him with my intellect and you will be able to escape. It costs £7 to get into the convention, and lasts from 11AM to 6PM.

We will be bringing our Dual Screens and a range of software, which is an incentive to join us if I ever set eyes on one. It is also very likely that we will be going to get some food during the course of the event. There are plans to meet up at 11AM outside the ExCel, and if you are interested we will supply you with phone numbers and the like.

More information can be found at the London Expo website: http://www.londonexpo.com/index.shtml.

Yours,

B. J. Havercroft

To translate that into a sentence that will not frighten anyone with it's verbose properties:

There's a geek con on in London next weekend 27th/28th May and a few of us will meet up down there. We'll bring our DS machines, games and generally have a laugh. You can check the website Haver linked above for more information.

It'd be cool if others fancied popping along. We are not pedophiles.

No one else come, please, Haver and his -hot- sister is going to be far to much for me, and adam will no doubt beat me at Mario Kart like you did on our last little meet.

I will print this out and bring it with me.

Moria wrote this:

...then he deleted his post. But my dinnerlady badge lets me read what he put.

I tried posting the picture at the top of the London Expo site but it owuldn't let me, kept going to "clear.gif". I was wondering if all those guys from 24 would be there :heh:

I think the picture Dabookerman posted sums up the ENTIRE day better than any words ever can, but I will endevour to elaborate because I am bored and elaboration is always fun.

Well, here is the story of our cool day out.

My friend and I arrived at King's Cross Station, to be shortly greeted by CubeChris, who whisked us off to a coffee place, Starbucks I think, where we met Dabookerman and passed some time on Mario Kart DS until Haver and his sister arrived on the train.

10am came, and we found ourselves meeting Haver and his sister, two of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. We then made our way towards the London Expo, which was freaking packed by the time we arrived. We must have been waiting in line over half an hour to gain entry to what was arguably a terrible event.

The expo itself was crammed full of cosplayers (mostly bad as Dabookerman has shown above), and most of the dealer tables had a solid crowd massing around them at all times making leisurely buying a troublesome thing indeed. It was awfully busy, awfully hot and awfully anime.

Cosplay highs included:

None.

None at all.

Cosplay lows included:

- Sonic and his horrible flourescent friends.

- A terrible bird creature nobody knew the origins of - only that his costume had been pathetically conceived from toilet paper and cotton wool and that the eyes were terribly wonky, doodled on with what looked like a biro pen.

- Fat girls in sexy garbs.

- Cosplay in general.

Several hours later, we escaped the horrors of the expo and ventured back into London town, where we visited a Pizza Hut, and several stores of geeky significance. Along the way the toilet fiasco occured, which I will detail below.

Haver, Dabookerman and myself were bursting for a wee. We were in dire need of urination. Fortunately salvation found us in the form of a single cubicle in dirty little McDonalds toilet... which was closed shut, indicating someone was in there. Oddly, no feet could be seen when a brave member of our trio leaned down to look. Perhaps an amputee?

What began were a series of acts designed to select one of us to knock on the door or attempt to open it, risking the sight of another man's hairy piece. Rock, Paper, Scissors was the game, which Haver made a point of teaching me how to play properly.

As this "argument" occured, several people came into the toilet and made use of the free urinal, which the three of us refused to use because urinals are wank. Too much splashback, according to Dabookerman.

Eventually we realised that people had began to think odd of us for standing as a trio in the men's bathroom and I bravely tapped the door, knocking it open and discovering it was empty. What fools we three were. What fools.

Well, time went on and we parted ways, after Dabookerman and CubeChris waged war on Mario Kart Arcade, and many Lost-related jokes were made. All in all? A good day out.

Good day, it was nice to meet you chaps, even if Dabookerman made us stay in that horrid place longer the needed (the pics make up for it).

And yeah I got worried about you guys and the "toilet incident" you were gone for a solid ten minutes...but hey, oh and lets not mention Hodge's erotic browsing.

I think we need to mention the time I nearly dropped this guy:

cross_a.jpg.

(I'd also like to congratulate the above posters on being very good, very funny people. We will have to meet in a public toilet again.)

I think we need to mention the time I nearly dropped this guy:

cross_a.jpg.

(I'd also like to congratulate the above posters on being very good, very funny people. We will have to meet in a public toilet again.)

lol yes, Haver nearly tripped him over and then he landed on my shoulder on the way past....:laughing:

(FYI: We were stalking Tony, who was drunk (we suspect), so I wasn't paying attention to Conrad or whoever the fuck this guy is and I slowed the pace to get an overview of Tony's possible escape routes -- he was going for coffee (irish, we suspect) -- and Chelsea or whatever his name is carried on with the speed-walking and very nearly tripped over me, a scenario that could have only consummated in a beefy black man taking Chris down for the count.)

I nearly came along to this, as my girlfriend's working on one of the stands. Too much work to do back at home, though, unfortunately. Sounds like you had a good time, though.

You missed out on chaos and hilarity, nothing more was to be had at Expo. I have never entered a place and wanted to leave so quickly again. It was like being in a Chinese shopping centre on a quiet day, still crowded with strange little aliens!