NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Angels & Airwaves - We Don't Need to Whisper

Dragonforce are good, but eery song sounds the same as the last, and they go on for too long.

I lvoe the adventure, to me, this jsut shows that Tom was the best one from B182

Dragonforce are good, but every song sounds the same as the last, and they go on for too long.

That's entirely my point, every song sounds the same if you're hearing the music, but there's a difference between merely hearing, and listening. Unless you're interested in the way songs or compositions are structured and played, and the skill thats involved in playing them, they will sound the same. That is why Rap is so popular, most "songs" involve only a single melody and around 5 or 6 different notes played in the entirety of the song, and this makes it easy to understand for people who aren't interested in the mechanisms of music. Dragonforce are a power metal band and some of their songs run at 16th notes at 280beats per minute...thats 4480 notes per minute...and unless you're listening, you don't catch all the tiny nuances and details that make it what it is. Like most metal bands they don't make for easy listening but their songs are intended to be fast and complex. Unfortunately, much of this complexity is lost on the people who don't actively listen to music, or play it in some way themselves and this causes them to become disinterested in it. I feel that if anything is to be considered music, it has to evoke an emotion of some sort (and this excludes boredom) Metallica, Megadeth and Trivium evoke righteous anger, In Flames, Dragonforce and Blind Guardian have a hopeful, cheerful nature and Children of Bodom and Iced Earth do both. Unfortunately, people usually have trouble getting past the singers lyrics or voice, and that's completely taking the wrong stance. Lyrics are there mainly so that the singer has a pattern of words he can accociate notes with, if you want expression through speech and words, there's poetry and books for that. Keep in mind however that Im not saying Lyrics are pointless, I think they can add a great deal to music, but only if they're not the prime aspect of the song. Hence why I think Indie is the prime offender, bands like The Killers are so completely professional and rigidly bland and Franz Ferdinand who are centered on being completely pretentious and spastic that they're taking away from what makes it music in the first place: an expression of emotion through virtuosity...but the thing is, you can't have one without the other. You have to be good at your instrument before you attempt to make music, because otherwise your attempts will fall flat, any song by Blink 182 can be played with just one good listen through the song. In fact, give me one day, and I'll play you Blink 182's entire back catalogue on guitar. Take instrumental virtuosity as a vocabulary, those with a more expansive vocabularity will be better equipped to express themselves. Of course there will always be exceptions, I'm actually a fan of early Green Day, songs such as When I come around and Time of Your Life are simple, but that what gives them their charm, in fact, I even like one song by The Coral...but If you want real music, it's Metal, Blues, Jazz or Classical all the way...

> It's likely (if you read this) that you wont "get" what im talking about and even if you do, you probably won't care and most likely a great deal of flaming is likely to ensue as a result of this, but what the hey, it's not like I give a crap anyway.

(Note: "bands" such as Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park etc, are not metal)

Edit:

what.. the... just.. what?

Interestingly coherent question.

Unless you're interested in the way songs or compositions are structured and played, and the skill thats involved in playing them, they will sound the same.... for people who aren't interested in the mechanisms of music.

what.. the... just.. what?

Anyway, my favourite song is definately The Gift, very nice song, i'm not a big fan of Blink 182 or Tom's voice (its growing on me) but this song is great.

I don't give a flying fuck about the mechanics or whatever, i jsut care if it sounds good or not...

That's entirely my point, every song sounds the same if you're hearing the music, but there's a difference between merely hearing, and listening. Unless you're interested in the way songs or compositions are structured and played, and the skill thats involved in playing them, they will sound the same. That is why Rap is so popular, most "songs" involve only a single melody and around 5 or 6 different notes played in the entirety of the song, and this makes it easy to understand for people who aren't interested in the mechanisms of music. Dragonforce are a power metal band and some of their songs run at 16th notes at 280beats per minute...thats 4480 notes per minute...and unless you're listening, you don't catch all the tiny nuances and details that make it what it is. Like most metal bands they don't make for easy listening but their songs are intended to be fast and complex. Unfortunately, much of this complexity is lost on the people who don't actively listen to music, or play it in some way themselves and this causes them to become disinterested in it. I feel that if anything is to be considered music, it has to evoke an emotion of some sort (and this excludes boredom) Metallica, Megadeth and Trivium evoke righteous anger, In Flames, Dragonforce and Blind Guardian have a hopeful, cheerful nature and Children of Bodom and Iced Earth do both. Unfortunately, people usually have trouble getting past the singers lyrics or voice, and that's completely taking the wrong stance. Lyrics are there mainly so that the singer has a pattern of words he can accociate notes with, if you want expression through speech and words, there's poetry and books for that. Keep in mind however that Im not saying Lyrics are pointless, I think they can add a great deal to music, but only if they're not the prime aspect of the song. Hence why I think Indie is the prime offender, bands like The Killers are so completely professional and rigidly bland and Franz Ferdinand who are centered on being completely pretentious and spastic that they're taking away from what makes it music in the first place: an expression of emotion through virtuosity...but the thing is, you can't have one without the other. You have to be good at your instrument before you attempt to make music, because otherwise your attempts will fall flat, any song by Blink 182 can be played with just one good listen through the song. In fact, give me one day, and I'll play you Blink 182's entire back catalogue on guitar. Take instrumental virtuosity as a vocabulary, those with a more expansive vocabularity will be better equipped to express themselves. Of course there will always be exceptions, I'm actually a fan of early Green Day, songs such as When I come around and Time of Your Life are simple, but that what gives them their charm, in fact, I even like one song by The Coral...but If you want real music, it's Metal, Blues, Jazz or Classical all the way...

> It's likely (if you read this) that you wont "get" what im talking about and even if you do, you probably won't care and most likely a great deal of flaming is likely to ensue as a result of this, but what the hey, it's not like I give a crap anyway.

(Note: "bands" such as Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park etc, are not metal)

Edit:

Only read the first bit but you're right. I think each of Paul Wellers songs sound the same. But thats because i've only heard the songs rather than sat down and listened to them all the way through and concentrated on them. Essentially, its someone singing and playin the same instrument over and over for an album, so of course they will sound similar.

Anyway, my favourite song is definately The Gift, very nice song, i'm not a big fan of Blink 182 or Tom's voice (its growing on me) but this song is great.

Yeah the Gift is a great song. Also up there up there for me is Distraction, Do it for me now and it hurts. Just cant stop listening to the album :bouncy:

Edit:

I understand what you're saying. But, music does not have to be complex to be enjoyable. When you said you could play the entire Blink catalogue in one day, does that make the music any less impressive?

Some of us like to look for simplicity in our music. Take, for example, the YeahYeahYeahs. Drums, Guitar and Lyrics. Simple. But, there is professionalism. Brian Chase is an amazing drummer, and Nick (guitarist) is pretty damn good, himself.

Music does not have to be complex to be enjoyed, and this is where bands like Tool just lose their edge with me. I can listen to their songs, i can appreciate them as 'art', but i just can't appreciate it as music as it's too complex, technical, and just generally not good listening.

I understand what you're saying. But, music does not have to be complex to be enjoyable. When you said you could play the entire Blink catalogue in one day, does that make the music any less impressive?

Some of us like to look for simplicity in our music. Take, for example, the YeahYeahYeahs. Drums, Guitar and Lyrics. Simple. But, there is professionalism. Brian Chase is an amazing drummer, and Nick (guitarist) is pretty damn good, himself.

Music does not have to be complex to be enjoyed, and this is where bands like Tool just lose their edge with me. I can listen to their songs, i can appreciate them as 'art', but i just can't appreciate it as music as it's too complex, technical, and just generally not good listening.

You mentioned professionalism, and that to me is everything that is wrong with music today. Take musicians such as Leadbelly and Nirvana, they played their songs that were written from the heart, and If they fucked up, or made a mistake in recording or playing them, then that was fine, since it's only human to do so, but there was true depth of feeling infused within those songs, and that's what matters, bands like Franz Ferdinand (god, even saying that name makes me angry. What do the band have to do with Franz Ferdinand? Why does Franz Ferdinand mean anything to that bunch of shitty pretentious losers?) use pro tools and expensive machines that clean songs (that were already written to appeal to your average cardigan wearing, acoustic guitar playing, emo looking, no good confounded buffoon) to within an inch of their lives...In the beginning, there was only a man with his instrument and his ability to turn his thoughts and feelings into sounds, and that's something that changed when people realised that music could be used to market an image and to line the wallets of no good theiving corporate bastards with gold. This is the reason why Metal is one of the only forms of music that I consider to be true, it's not done for money, it's made as something more cerebral than your average indie/britpop band...take it as the difference between reading Harry Potter, and Catcher In The Rye, One book will give you a good time, but that experience will end once you turn the last page...the other, if you spend enough time with it trying to understand it, has the capacity to enthrall you and change you for the rest of your life. It's your call, but if you want to know god's honest truth, it's that this over simplification and bastardisation of everything, from music to the way in which we are educated, has turned us into a nation of rampant dumbasses.

Also, tool are not complex, they are by all descriptions, incredibly boring. I've tried to like Oasis, I really have, but they just give me the worst sort of feeling...I liken them to sitting inside a car with 6 other people, with it almost raining outside, but not quite, so you get the sense of misery, but without any of the sense of wonderment...they just exude cheapness and a lack of any real character...I don't know why, but thats just the way it is...

Also, people choose to express themselves through music, because there's no way to do it through words. If it's possible to do so with just words, then the music is redundant...sometimes, when you hear something, you feel something overwhelming, but you can't find words to describe that feeling, because it's so complex that there are no tangible words to describe it...

I don't mean to say you're wrong, in all probability, there's a good chance that you're right and I'm wrong, but that is the way I feel about things, and as you can see, I feel pretty strongly about it so I think I should stop here so as to avoid making any more of a fool of myself.

Laters. :wink:

Oh, and if you want amazing drummers, check out:

Dave Lombardo

Gene Hoglan

Richard Christie

on Youtube, or wherever else.

PEACE!

Yeah the Gift is a great song. Also up there up there for me is Distraction, Do it for me now and it hurts. Just cant stop listening to the album :bouncy:

I sang The Gift drunk :grin: lol. I love every song. Has there ever been an album where you've loved every song on it? There never has for me. I've liked every song on an album before but loved them? Nope.

My favourite changes daily. Think Distraction is my favourite right now. What's also great is that I'm not listening to the same song over and over again and it boring me, because they're all great I can play a couple of them it one listening session.

Can't wait til the 16th of June!!!! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

And to clarify, I only agreed with the hearing/listening part of what Bard said. The whole complexness stuff I don't.

Ok major bumpage from an Admin...kill him, die etc

Anyway instead of making a new thread about this im gonna post it here....

I saw Angels and Airwaves last night at Brixton and they were fantastic, Tom is a God.

Played the whole album and the sound was superb... he has an amazing voice end of. Distraction was the highlight for me, maybe i was really drunk and happy when they played that but damn it was good.

He also played Down (Blink song) but he done it acousticly and slowed it right down sounded awesome. Then later on he played There is (box car racer) and just sang the verse and all the crowd were singing the chorus, agains sounded so awesome.

Loved it so much and i get to see them again on saturday when they support the Foo's. :)

this album is so lame, it's an epic blink 182, and they werent that great either...i'll save my money

Anyway instead of making a new thread about this im gonna post i here....

I saw Angels and Airwaves last night at Brixton and they were fantastic, Tom is a God.

Played the whole album and the sound was superb... he has an amazing voice end of. Distraction was the highlight for me, maybe i was really drunk and happy when they played that but damn it was good.

He also played Down (Blink song) but he done it acousticly and slowed it right down sounded awesome. Then later on he played There is (box car racer) and just sang the verse and all the crowd were singing the chorus, agains sounded so awesome.

Loved it so much and i get to see them again on saturday when they support the Foo's. :)

I get too see them Friday. :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: Glad you enjoyed it. I hope they're good!!! Does his voice sound a lot better live than on, say, a youtube video?

Anyway instead of making a new thread about this im gonna post i here....

Koolness, glad you enjoyed AVA. I can't wait to see them! Hope you enjoy Foo's too, and wish I was going to that. You lucky git! :p

I get too see them Friday. :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: Glad you enjoyed it. I hope they're good!!! Does his voice sound a lot better live than on, say, a youtube video?

The same one I'll be at, should be awesome! ^^

Does his voice sound a lot better live than on, say, a youtube video?

Link me up to a you tube vid and ill tell you. But i thought he sounded awesome, voice has really changed since the old dude ranch days.

Link me up to a you tube vid and ill tell you. But i thought he sounded awesome, voice has really changed since the old dude ranch days.

No need mate. I went and it was absolutely awesome. Everything about the show was perfect. Tom's singing was the best I've ever heard it live, it was near perfect, even my overly picky friend said he was great. He does over do the whole lets save the whole world thing a bit lol but it was such a great show.

If you're judging AVA on crappy bootlegs then sod off and go to a show. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I know many of you will think i'm daft but I loved it.

I've never enjoyed being crushed by loads of people as much as when Valkyrie Missile started. :p

No need mate. I went and it was absolutely awesome. Everything about the show was perfect. Tom's singing was the best I've ever heard it live, it was near perfect, even my overly picky friend said he was great. He does over do the whole lets save the whole world thing a bit lol but it was such a great show.

If you're judging AVA on crappy bootlegs then sod off and go to a show. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I know many of you will think i'm daft but I loved it.

I've never enjoyed being crushed by loads of people as much as when Valkyrie Missile started. :p

Seconded. The show I went to was bloody amazing, a brilliant gig! No crappy bootleg can even come close to the awesome quality of the real thing. I loved the Box Car Racer (There is) and Blink (Down) additions to the setlist too. It was fantastic to hear those again. When the crowd sang them it was amazing.

AVA are just superb imo, I can't wait to see them again!!

I didn't really catch much of Cord, though they did seem pretty good.

They were quite good, but got a bit boring after the first few songs.

Sign in to follow this