Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I believe we are still yet to see the final secret

Stocka

Yeah I think there will be some small things, which don´t really add to the cost of the system but are very intelligent implemented( see the wiimotespeaker) but there is also a big secret with that nintendo can own the GDC!

My english is not so great i'm afraid... basicly what i mean is that SM Galaxy is using shaders, different gravity on different planets, all kinds of lighting, reflexions, etc. The game seems to take more advantage of the Wii capabillities...

Finally someone with common sense! ( sorry but i´m on ign-boards too)

about new ragdoll-physics and things... that´s really up to the developers, this is just the beginning, everything was scripted in the past and there are not so many realtime-animation-experts in the game-industrie...it takes time!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Havok engine is a software library developers buy so that their programmers don't have to program the physics themselves. If it's implemented in the hardware like rumoured for the Wii, it takes off a load of calculation work to do for the CPU so that it can focus on other tasks. An implementation in the GPU's shader pipeline however, might lower the shader capacity of the GPU, so it could potentially make graphics look slightly worse. I doubt that'll happen though.

After seeing good Red Steel videos, I'm thinking the press is overreacting. There's a video at GCcafe where the guy who's playing plays perfectly. He turns easily and fast, he aims very acccuratly and the graphics look great and very stilized. I think they were just disapointed about the swordplay not being as expected. If you think about it, the game would be very hard if the sword did what you do in real life.

After seeing good Red Steel videos, I'm thinking the press is overreacting. There's a video at GCcafe where the guy who's playing plays perfectly. He turns easily and fast, he aims very acccuratly and the graphics look great and very stilized. I think they were just disapointed about the swordplay not being as expected. If you think about it, the game would be very hard if the sword did what you do in real life.

Yeah, as I said somewhere before, they're playing it wrong.

I'll translate a part out of the magazine I mentioned:

How does it work? Quite simply. In one hand you hold the remote, smaller than you expect, but very comfortable. With this you aim the gun. Even the slightest movement causes the crosshair to move over the screen. The crosshair doesn't stay centered, like in traditional first person shooters. In the beginning, the developers had programmed it that way but because your hand always shakes a bit, this causes 'motion sickness'. Now you only move your viewpoint when you move your crosshairs a couple of centimetres off-centre.

Once you've aimed for your enemy you press the button beneath your index finger; that's right, exactly the place where you normally find the trigger of a gun. The first minute, I felt slightly disoriented. Judging the reactions of my fellow journalists, they had the same problem. After years with dual analog control, you develop certain preprogrammed thoughts about how to play an FPS. Just forget it all! Don't think and follow your intuition. Rarely shooting ever felt this good.

It was funny to see that pretty much everybody started out holding the controller like it's a light gun: so pointing at the screen with a stretched arm. That's until you find out that you get a very tired arm of that. And that's not all: this way you're way too slow and you lack overview. The most comfortable and efficient way of playing seems to be playing from the wrist. With a relaxed arm, so you can get maximum result with minimal movement. It doesn't matter whether you're dead in front of the screen or whether you're playing from an angle: your aim is always as good. A sensor, a flat beam on top of your TV takes care of that.

It seems to work fantastic to them, because apparently they have played it the way you should.

well, we'll see. I think Nintendo games are a lot of fun. But i do like good graphics also. I played Mario sunshine with a smile on my face but i thought the graphics were below par. I was flabbergasted when i played Res4! I hope that we don't have to wait for the last year of the Wii to see awesome graphics. But looking at the galaxy gameplay clips, no worries!

ps: Does anyone have the HD clip from IGN?????

They said they have more hardware secrets in an interview. I don't think it'll be long before they do though. I think the reason they missed stuff out at E3 was because it may have taken emphasis from the games on show. E3 was really an opportunety for Nintendo to display Wii games, and a few more details on top. I believe Sony would've had a much better show had they not announced that horrible price in their conference. I think that kinda made people lose interest a bit. Stupid Sony.

Looks like Red Steel is using Rag doll physics...

Havok-engine is a ragdoll-system along with some other physical phenomenons... It´s availeble on all platforms. The statement @ E3 states that they will begin to optimize this engine to take advantage off the wii´s hardware-capabilities. It´s not build in the wii. Build in is a ppu or pp-extensions to the other chips. So the engine will perhaps work without the usage of the host-cpu...I´m not afraid in terms of shader-power since graphicschips are soo unbelieveble more powerfull than cpus...

That statement about 'optimizing for hardware' kind of proves there's new physics acceleration in there, as otherwise they could've just ported the Cube library.

Physics acceleration matches the controller perfectly. I bet after the final devkits are shipped, along with the new Havok engine, games will look even better than they do now.

The Wii has a GPU, physics acceleration and a sound processor. Man, the only intensive task the CPU still has to do is artificial intelligence...

Havok-engine is a ragdoll-system along with some other physical phenomenons... It´s availeble on all platforms. The statement @ E3 states that they will begin to optimize this engine to take advantage off the wii´s hardware-capabilities. It´s not build in the wii. Build in is a ppu or pp-extensions to the other chips. So the engine will perhaps work without the usage of the host-cpu...I´m not afraid in terms of shader-power since graphicschips are soo unbelieveble more powerfull than cpus...

Aah, i read some more on the i-net. Havok-engine is used for Halflife 2.

That is one good engine when it comes to gravity and body limbs.

I think elebits will be using this in a big way. I heard some negative reports about this game, but i think it's rather promising really...

I'm having more positive feelings about the quality of the opcoming wii games graphics!

That statement about 'optimizing for hardware' kind of proves there's new physics acceleration in there, as otherwise they could've just ported the Cube library.

Physics acceleration matches the controller perfectly. I bet after the final devkits are shipped, along with the new Havok engine, games will look even better than they do now.

The Wii has a GPU, a PPU and a sound processor. Man, the only intensive task the CPU still has to do is artificial intelligence...

Excellent! I read somewhere that it makes no difference how many ennemies there are on screen. It doesn't effect the cpu (much) anymore

That statement about 'optimizing for hardware' kind of proves there's new physics acceleration in there, as otherwise they could've just ported the Cube library....

good point!!!

The Wii has a GPU, physics acceleration and a sound processor. Man, the only intensive task the CPU still has to do is artificial intelligence...

And poligons! Therefor we won´t see so highly detailed (poligonwise) games like Gears of War...but I´m confident that wii can pull off same shader-effects and perhaps more than 360... it´s a full year now since the 360 GPU was finalized. This whole physics-thing is quite a confirmation that ATI packed in even newer tech. Does anybody have the link to that interview with ati about dx10?

From what we´ve seen about elebits, it seems you can not only lift things up and down but rather throw them in in all directions and they all fly physically correct through the air. Real fun I think!

http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/824/824989/vids_1.html

And here is the official trailer! could become a must buy!!!(I posted it once but nobody recognized it:weep: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXN99_w19s

good point!!!

And poligons! Therefor we won´t see so highly detailed (poligonwise) games like Gears of War...but I´m confident that wii can pull off same shader-effects and perhaps more than 360... it´s a full year now since the 360 GPU was finalized. This whole physics-thing is quite a confirmation that ATI packed in even newer tech. Does anybody have the link to that interview with ati about dx10?

From what we´ve seen about elebits, it seems you can not only lift things up and down but rather throw them in in all directions and they all fly physically correct through the air. Real fun I think!

And here is the official trailer! could become a must buy!!!(I posted it once but nobody recognized it:weep: )

I saw a Halflife 2 hack. you could grab everything and anybody and throw them in the air. There was no point to the game, but it was a lot of fun and made possible by the Havok engine.

elebits looks like it could become a new francise... Could...

good point!!!

Goku you're a genius! That trailer ruled! Loving hte music and the light source from their little antennae are gonna be so cool in game. I wonder how big it's gonna get? There was talk of having to root them out in a whole city :shock:

could displacement mapping in an advanced way have anything to do with a secret yet to be revealed? Maybe the wii doesn t need a lot of power. Combining the Havok engine, a GPU, physics acceleration and a sound processor with an advanced method (economic use) of texture mapping?

Here is a link that shows an example of displacement mapping on body armour. If this is true, Then imagine how the clothes of Link and the body-armour of enemies can look like. Or is this example too much credit for the displacement mapping technique?

http://www.playbomb.com/2005/12/11/124/nintendo-displacement-mapping-patents-discoverec/

Goku you're a genius! That trailer ruled! Loving hte music and the light source from their little antennae are gonna be so cool in game. I wonder how big it's gonna get? There was talk of having to root them out in a whole city :shock:

Update: Elebits gameplay!!! http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2732

I think that the controllers pertaining to an individual user identity and storing settings, etc. is at least as good of a "the secret" as the Wiimote speaker. My personal hope is that it also contains a universal friend code that allows you to track your stats. This could be used to bring up your profile in the Opera browser where you could adjust settings, give game specific permissions to certain friends, turn rivals into friends, etc. That way there could be four "gamertags" signed on at the same time and you could just take your Wiimote with you to a friend's house, play on his system, and it would automagically continue tracking your stats. Simple but effective.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!