NEurope
Guest Jordan

MP3 Player Guide

I got a Creative Zen (16gb) today, and it's quite cool. However, it says that I've already used up 12.2gb of space, and that I've only got 2.72gb free. I have uploaded 2666 songs, but that's deffo nowhere near enough to fill up the memory. Can anyone give any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

EDIT: okay, so maybe my music DOES take up that much space. Bugger. Ah well, nm. It's still a bloody fantastic player though! ^^

You can buy an SD card (SDHC aswell).

That is, if you don't mind the music on it being seperate from the rest of the MP3 Player.

I got myself a Creative Zen 8gb a few months ago, and all is going well with it even though reviews said the 8gb version was full of faults, my player seems to be going well. And i have only used 3gb of the 8gb, with plenty of room for expansion.

I was going to buy one of those, instead i opted for the model it replaced.

43970BLK.jpg

Fully customisable menus = genius.

For a HDD based player its also very quick. My only annoyance would be the adapter you have to use to be able to charge it. You have to plug the player into a small adapter, then into a micro-USB cable.

Its just an extra thing to carry around...

Fully customisable menus = genius.
Haven't you been able to customise the menus on the ipod since like... the first one?

Haven't you been able to customise the menus on the ipod since like... the first one?

Yeah but, tehnically speaking Creative 'made' the iPod menu system...

Well... they invented and patented some of the iPod UI's features. And if that's the case, why haven't creative had fully customisable menus from the start?

Well... they invented and patented some of the iPod UI's features. And if that's the case, why haven't creative had fully customisable menus from the start?

Not a clue tbh, this is my first Zen since my Zen PMC which ran on Windows XP PMC edition...

Oh well I don't know I'm picking a fight over this :heh: I get a bit defensive over iPods for some reason.... Well! Enjoy your new (ish) Zen :)

Bad times ;).

I have like 10GB left on my Zen and its got around 6000 songs on it, 5 weekly podcasts and a few videos.

Hmm. Since my old MP3 player screen mysteriously broke on the ski trip bus. Yeah.

Anyway. Is there nothing which is 30Gb and small? Because I'm having difficulties finding one. Have the manufacturers not thought that it's possible to have 30gb of pure music or something or that if you want 30gigs you *must* want to put films on...

The highest possible flash player is 32GB, the Creative Zen (or iPod Touch...?). Its credit card sized... but you pay out of the nose for it. Not to mention the screen isn't great for movies.

Don't want films to be honest. Also not a big fan of Creative (got beef with them over their soundcards...)

Picky much? :p

...Theres a bad point with Creative soundcards?

Every machine i've ever built has had the latest generation of Sound Blaster in it (Live!, Live 1024, Audigy, Audigy 2 ZS, X-Fi Xtreme).

You should atleast research it.

Not so much over the soundcard chips and more on their horrible driver support and suing people who unofficially developed more stable drivers.

The chips themselves are good (I personally have an X-fi but it's developed by Auzentech. Their engineering is superior).

Just ordered Onda VX767. Not gonna bother putting Music on as I have better MP3 player for that. This gonna be strictly for Video.. 8GB with TV-Out and only £85

yhst-44200596499313_1999_103047

Could anyone recommended a new MP3 player for a maximum of £100? I have around 5gb of music on my PC so maybe a 8 or 16gb player i think.

My last mp3 was a 1st gen 2gb nano which has dissapeared somewhere (along with my amazing headphones :( ) and i don't really know whats good out there at the minute.

I would quite like decent battery length too (like 20+ hours)

Could anyone recommended a new MP3 player for a maximum of £100? I have around 5gb of music on my PC so maybe a 8 or 16gb player i think.

My last mp3 was a 1st gen 2gb nano which has dissapeared somewhere (along with my amazing headphones :( ) and i don't really know whats good out there at the minute.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3977591/Creative-Zen-16GB-MP3-Player/Product.html

That seem good enough?

I have a Samsung P2 and the sound quality is amazing. It has a very decent battery life (30 hours), a 3 inch touchscreen widescreen and its heavily supported by Samsung, so you can look forward to plenty of firmware updates. There have been some major firmware updates since it has been released and there are more to come.

A lot of the people here seem to have a Zen, but it looks really cheap. It only has a 2.5 inch screen and its GUI just looks dull and boring. Its cheaper, but you get what you pay for when it comes to these 2. The P2 has a tonne of sound options (listening to music through a P2 is like listening to all of your favourite music for the very first time all over again) and the amount of extras it has is just more than you could hope for. The touchscreen is really great to use and it has a few dedicated buttons on the side for sound and playing/pausing.

You can get the 8GB version for 129.99 and the 4GB at 99.99 here:

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Samsung.83/YP-P2JCB_XEU/Samsung_YP-P2_8GB_Bluetooth_Portable_Media_Player.2689.html

4th firmware update:

4thfirmware.jpg

It will even have an underground map.:smile: I could go on about this thing forever because it is perfect. I dont see why I would possibly need a new MP3 player ever again. I suppose it could do with a web browser like the ipod touch, but there are phones for that.

Thats all well and good... but its helpful to have the space.

I bought a Zen Vision:M knowing it was slightly larger but i needed atleast 20GB at a decent price.

Yeah, its not a good option if you're mainly after storage and arent willing to pay £170 for 16GB. It's just a very well rounded PMP. Im more than happy to transfer music and videos to and from my P2 while its charging.

So is anybody gonna buy the new Creative Zen X-Fi

http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenxfi/

creative-zen-x-fi-live.jpg

prices from bestbuy.com

8GB - $149.99

16GB with WiFi and Voice Recorder - $199.99

32GB with WiFi and Voice Recorder - $279.99

Specs of the Zen X-Fi

2.5 inch screen

X-Fi audio technology with Crystalizer and Expand modes demoed on site

Video: 5 hours (MJPEG, WMV9, MPEG4-SP4, DivX4 4/5 and XviD4)

Audio: 36 hours (MP3, WMA, AAC5 (.m4a), WAV (ADPCM), Audible 4)

WLAN: only for the 16GB and 32GB versions

FM with 32 preset stations

I was going to buy one, but i decided against it.

The fact that its too much like the old one, the WiFi is basically pointless and oh and the divx/xvid support requires encoding unlike my Zen Vision M.

I thought i'd take a quick look at what Archos are churning out this year, and all i have to say is, WOW!

ARCHOS-5g-Intro.jpg

• Access the internet anywhere through the 3G network (HSDPA speeds! :D)
  • 5", 480x800 touchscreen
  • The 800 pixel wide screen allows web browsing without the need for scrolling right/left or zoom
  • Full flash support in browser, allowing websites like YouTube to run exactly as they would on a PC!
  • Internet TV and Radio out of the box
  • Download movies, TV-shows, documentaries, music and games through media club, straight to your Archos 5 from anywhere in the world
  • Full video support for the following codecs:
    • MPEG-4 AVI
    • MJPEG
    • WMV
    • H.264
    • AAC
    • MPEG-2
    • WMV HD
    • MPEG-4 HD

[*]Full audio support for the following codecs:

• MP3
    • WMA
    • Protected WMA
    • WMA 5.1
    • WAV
    • AAC3
    • AAC+
    • AC3

[*]Using the DVR Dock

• Record live TV, including a full EPG for Terrestrial, Satellite, Freeview and Cable
    • Access to everything you can do on the Archos 5, but through your TV screen. This includes movie playback (up to 720p), media streaming from your PC, web browsing and internet TV!
    • 5.1 surround sound
    • Remote control with built in keyboard and mouse pointer

[*]Full GPS using the Car Holder add-on

[*]Many other add-ons, including a helmet cam and a TV tuner

They've pulled out all the stops this time, i guess they're feeling the burn with the iPod Touch and countless mobile phones stepping on their toes. If i can get it with a data contract then i may well buy one instead of a new phone :)

Has anything new and sexy come out since this thread was last updated? I plan on obtaining one for Christmas.

That one above looks tasty.

I just ordered the new Iriver P7 16GB from Korea. Only released on Monday, should hopefully have it next week.

iriver_p7_pmp.jpg

if you looking for a cheap alternative to the nano i would also look out for the Iriver E150

iiver-e150.jpg

Edited by khilafah