NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Lammie

Mulholland Drive - do you know WTF happened?

I watched Mulholland Drive for the first time last night, and I found it thouroughly awesome. Despite not really having a clue what actually went on, I've had an interesting conversation with a friend who has seen it discussing our interpretations.

I'm yet to scour the net for other peoples interpretations, but I know some of you people here have probably seen it and I wanna see what your take was on the movie.

Er-no must have seen it, being a film student and all...

From what i understand, the first half of the film is the Naomi Watts character's dream/wish of how she wanted things to turn out. The second half is how things really happened.

Note the second appearance of the cowboy which shows that she did make a mistake and hence things going bad.

As i understand it, the whole thing is an endless loop with characters assuming a different role every loop.

Aight, well I never said it would be a good reply..

SPOILERS

Right. Basically the first half of the film is retrospection but also a twist of character...

You see, the blonde girl at the end of the movie isn't the blonde girl at the start. At the end she's kinda gone crazy after her brunette girl slept her way up the movie ladder.. The brunette got a job that the blonde thought she herself shoulda got. So the blonde, in her insanity, tries to explain to herself how the brunette got the job, and not her- but at the same time a voice in her head is saying that it SHOULD have been her, so she imagines herself as the brunette.. or something. I can't remember, it's been fucking ages!

Oh I can't remember. I know it's something about that though. A lot of the scenes that the blonde isn't in she makes up, like the dude stealing that script and the old guy with the phone and when those guys told the director to chose this girl and stuff.

I assure you, i knew what happened just after I saw the movie. I could come up with explanations for all the scenes, and stuff.

I'll shh now.

Absolutely fantastic film , and Emo's description is pretty much spot on. Thats my take on it at least , and it took me at least 4/5 viewings to get a handle on it.

Aw why spoil this movie, figure it out yourself :) Only the censorship of the ladybits bothered me. It wasn't so much that I wanted to see them, just that having a big blur on my movie bugged me.

I agree with thecreepingmess, Eraserhead will screw with your mind. Pretty much any Lynch movie will though :P Or you could try animes like Evangelion or Lain.

Er, slightly wrong, it's not a retrospective - it's a masturbatory fantasy. The point where it cuts to her frigging herself is the join between the two worlds. The first half is the fantasy (based on reality) of what she wishes her life was like - hence the quite over the top, soap-opera style acting!! The reason everyone plays two characters is because it is said that in dreams we place people we may only see at a glance into people, so her parents become other characters, a guy she glimpses at a party holds a significant role. I could REALLy go into it, but its a little boring and anyways, its all about interpretation.

Only the censorship of the ladybits bothered me. It wasn't so much that I wanted to see them, just that having a big blur on my movie bugged me.

Totally didn't have that when i saw it. Woo :P

I don't think Diane kills herself at the end, the blue box only seems to appear in the dream sequences and if you look in the drawer where she pulls the gun from to shoot herself you can see the box in there. I think she only dreams of killing herself.

Er, slightly wrong, it's not a retrospective - it's a masturbatory fantasy. The point where it cuts to her frigging herself is the join between the two worlds.

I don't actually remember that scene :/ I need to watch this movie again.

Sign in to follow this