NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stocka

England Team Discussion

If its 0-0 at 75mins then Rooney will be on.

If we smack em 3-0 there is no need to risk him.

England should play in, or at least try out, a diamond in midfield, with Hargreaves at the back, Gerard (sp?) or Lampard in front, and Beckham and J.Cole on the right and left respectively.

When we tried a diamond, usually the problem was that our wide players kept playing out-to-in. It should be inside outward or diamond would fail tactically and we lose width which our way of playing relies on (i.e. running up the side and putting a cross in).

4-4-2 diamond is surprisingly different from your bog standard 4-4-2 we see week in week out in the prem in that the midfielders have to think differently. I think that's where we fail 4-4-2 diamond. Our players are just too used to thinking in a normal 4-4-2 way, and that way of thinking messes up the diamond.

Our side likes to run a lot. Beckham often makes an early cross, but still, a virtical movement down the sides is usually the way we play. Central midfield is left up to the 2 midfielders (Gerrard + Lampard). This way of assigning various roles in the midfield gets messy when you try to apply it in a diamond.

Also when Rooney returns, the man behind the 2 strikers in a diamond would be a waste as Rooney likes that little hole in the central midfield. He doesn't want anyone else to get in the way.

Does anyone else really hate England's long ball tactics of just hitting/crossing it into Crouch? They're really boring to watch and don't seem to be working that well, he should've scored once but muffed it...

Crouch was terrible, the goal saved him, and of course England

Lampard was a cretin. Lennon, on the other hand, is a god amongst men.

Does anyone else really hate England's long ball tactics of just hitting/crossing it into Crouch? They're really boring to watch and don't seem to be working that well, he should've scored once but muffed it...

That's traditional English football.

Lennon, on the other hand, is a god amongst men.

Aye. Sven should definately let him play from the start in the future.

Its worked twice.

Yep, as long as it works. Just like Italian football.

When its not working we've got pacey options to change the game around. I can't see why people are crapping themselves over two wins.

It wont work against any better teams though.

It has been said tho that England seem to play better against harder opponents... and for some reason that seems to be true.

I was amazed at the skills that Lennon and his fellow winger Downing brought on, running to positions where they could cross it in for Crouch, who needs to be fed those oppertunities. Exactly what we will need to bust open such a tight defense. Hats off to T&T - they've really surpassed everyone's expectations.

It has been said tho that England seem to play better against harder opponents... and for some reason that seems to be true.

It is generally true, yeah. We've always sucked, for example, in friendlies unless we were playing a rival.

It's cos we play better when a team attacks us cos then using our midfield we can make proper counters, but we struggle to do anything when they just sit there. I think we'll see that more at the knockout stages, i'm not too worried, i mean just cos Brazil played lame against Croatia doesn't mean they're out the game.

That's traditional English football.

It's ugly. It seems as though the English never really build up to a goal with quick and creative play but just wish for the long pass to arrive or are lucky with some annoying free kick by Becks... Why can't the entire world just play beautiful 4-3-3 :sad:

It's ugly. It seems as though the English never really build up to a goal with quick and creative play but just wish for the long pass to arrive or are lucky with some annoying free kick by Becks... Why can't the entire world just play beautiful 4-3-3 :sad:

Sometimes its not pretty, if its effective, if it wins matches who cares what it looks like. Just go out there and win the bloody match.

if its effective, if it wins matches who cares what it looks like.
Perhaps it's my Dutch attitude (we always seem to be picky on quality of play), but I always want good, offensive playing teams. That's why I like Barcelona and hate teams like Chelsea and Inter. As a neutral (most of the time anyway) spectator good play comes before winning. Result first is such a damn annoying attitude, it kills football.

Result first is such a damn annoying attitude, it kills football.

Result first is the only mentality. Whats the point in playing fancy football if you're not going to win. You play to win, you play to get the result. You get that result by any fair means. If we won the tournament playing crap football, I wouldn't care, we won.

I personaly prefer good football to good results, wich usually, one means the other. I can understand Englands position, it's not easy playing against teams that shut themselfs, and it's even harder making that look good.

Heh, I feel like I need to humbly apologise my 'Dutch good football' mentatility after the second half of Netherlands - Ivory Coast :woops:

Sven has confirmed Rooney is starting on Tuesday. I hope to see Walcott and Lennon as the game isn't essential to win so we can take risks and give them a go.

Walcott in particular. I can't see how he'd be of any use if he isn't tried in the next game.

I would like to see Sven taking more of an attacking stance, maybe try Owen and Rooney, with Crouch pushing forward ahead of Beckham while Downing and Lennon form the attacking flanks of a weighty midfield. I feel Crouch is underused as he is also a decent defending player, and would be better in a flexible midfield position.

Sign in to follow this