Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

EchoDesiato

Stick your hand up, Oblivion owners, if you think the world in the games is massive *watches as the room becomes a carbon copy of when Epic's Mark "OMG I FUCKING LOVE TEH 360!!!" Rein asked "Now who in here actually owns a GameCube?* Well, think about just how big that world is, and then think about this:

I just did a little experiment, and it took me almost exactly 20 minutes to ride from the southen most city to the fortress just north of the northen most city.

Now, think about that in conjunction with that bit of info posted on here yesterday from IGN, about how, in TP, it takes 45 minutes to ride from one side of the world to another.

I think you will see why it has taken them so long to develop it...

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah 'spose... but my point remains, any links speculated, imagined or suggested between any of the other games and TP will not help you figure out what is happening in the game.

For instance if you knew the WW/OoT connection, would you have been able to figure anthing much?

Okay i'm just gonna say one final thing on the possibility of what could happen in Twilight Princess.

Firstly There is a connection between The Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time, the sunken world in The Wind Waker is the same world from Ocarina of Time.

Then Twilight Princess has been said to be set in between those two games.

Therefore there is a high possibility this game could tell the story of what happend to Hyrule when Ganon returned as stated by the Legend in the beginning of The Wind Waker.

Okay i'm just gonna say one final thing on the possibility of what could happen in Twilight Princess.

Firstly There is a connection between The Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time, the sunken world in The Wind Waker is the same world from Ocarina of Time.

Therefore there is a high possibility this game could tell the story of what happend to Hyrule when Ganon returned as stated by the Legend in the beginning of The Wind Waker.

Ah...yes, I see where you are coming from, It seems like a reasonable idea, with only one problem:

In the beginning of TWW it says "but the hero did not appear...in their final hour, the people prayed to their gods for salvation." What the gods did (we think) it flood Hyrule, so if, the "peoples' final hour" is when TP is set, then it will probably overall be a quest to start th flooding of Hyrule...

Every other home console Zelda is inbetween OOT and WW and they didn't get mentioned.

while its possible tp could recount the final days of hyrule before the flood i think its more likely nintendo are going down a completely different route and setting up a whole new story in the zelda universe.

i just dont think it makes sense to relate this new "mature" link to the cel shaded wind waker. i think nintendo have made it very clear wind waker was exploring the childlike side of the character and tp will be an exploration of a the mature side.

in game references are possible and indeed likely, ever since oot each game tries to equate itself to the so far definitive zelda. i believe the trend will continue in tp and we will see similar areas in the game as in oot for nostalgia sake. hints about the impending watery doom of hyrule are also likely in my opinion.

overall though i think there is enough material to get through in exploring a new more adult link for onerous connections to other games to be important story elements.

Okay this is from a few pages back taken from a Game Informer interview:

GI: Could you describe any examples of when this process went differently than normal?

Trinen: To be honest I don't know that we have anything that could really qualify as normal anymore. With Twilight Princess, the depth of the story and its connection to past games means that not only does it have twice as much text as Wind Waker, but it includes a fair number of legacy terms that originate in past games, so consistency is a big focus there.

This text states that this game will definately relate to maybe one or multiple previous Zelda titles.

If this is true then I am just drawing from many pieces of info that we've been given that it is very possible that this game may be set when Hyrule is destroyed by Ganon.

Also remember from the first trailer that was shown of Twilight Princess the words said at the end of the trailer:

"But as the light fades...

Will the Hero rise agian?

Or will darkness reign?"

This is similar to how the people of Hyrule were facing their darkest hour and the Hero of Time never returned to save them, and then the world was presumably destroyed.

I know I am over speculating but at the moment I have nothing to do.

Also I never knew that all the other Zelda games were set between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker, isn't the Zelda timeline also something that is highly speculated by fans?

Its possible that at the point of that interview that told where tp will be in the story line was befor the story was compleatle or they just lied. I still think the game takes place after hyrule was drained maybe ph is the quest to drain hyrule my opinion of the time line can be found in the link bellow

http://www.nintenreport.com/Nintenreport/LOfZ.html

That timeline is completely wrong, wouldn't Majora's Mask come directly after Ocarina of Time?

Also I remember being proved wrong a long time ago on these forums when I thought Twilight Princess happend after The Wind Waker, when in fact it is to take place before it.

Also I don't think the guy would have lied in the interview.

Every other home console Zelda is inbetween OOT and WW and they didn't get mentioned.
there's no other zelda taking place between OoT and WW.
i just dont think it makes sense to relate this new "mature" link to the cel shaded wind waker. i think nintendo have made it very clear wind waker was exploring the childlike side of the character and tp will be an exploration of a the mature side.
WW had a connection to OoT though, visual style is not "that" important

Actually every Zelda from the mainquest since OoT relate to him in one way or another, we've got to see that story is more important today than it was a few years ago, and Nintendo knows that.

WW already explained (or spoiled) some stuff that will probably take place in TP, not only in the prologue. it makes incredible sense for Nintendo to use this for theiur advantage.

That timeline is completely wrong, wouldn't Majora's Mask come directly after Ocarina of Time?

Also I remember being proved wrong a long time ago on these forums when I thought Twilight Princess happend after The Wind Waker, when in fact it is to take place before it.

I'm not trying to starting to debate storyline theories but...

Majora Mask is in another reality, since in we are talking about child link; in the end of OoT, link came back to it's old (children) self, 7 years prior.

WW is in the land where Hero of time ceased to exist because he was sent back to his original time, this is sequence of OoT adult ending, is the 7 year older alternative reality where Adult Zelda stayed to atone for her sins.

that's why in the prologue it says people praid for his return, but he never appeared, that's because he wasn't in that reality and the path of time is closed, as TP takes place mere decades after OoT (depending on how much, he should still be alive).

Thanks for backing me up Pedro. (High fives Pedro).

And also on your Majora's mask point though, even if the game was set in another reality wouldn't it still take place pretty much directly after Ocarina of Time?

Edit: And Jamba I really shouldn't be stating my thoughts as if they were fact. :heh:

Shingsy said back when oot was still called zelda 64 that the fist 3 games were oot loz la they then mm comes next logicaly the hero did not apear because he was in termina and then there was ww then of coarse there is ph i havent played to many games after that but i think tp comes next because how else do you explain how hyrule grew for tp the great sea expanded and so did hyrule and as the other contries took back there land hyrule shrunk again for the other games. :)

there's no other zelda taking place between OoT and WW.

Errr.... we don't know how long it was between the end of OoT and the return of Ganon to cause the flood. All of the games could have happened in the middle of that.

There has never been any mention of time scales between any of these events, so people should really stop asuming stuff.

Other Zeldas were set before WW and also it was said WW was the latest in the timeline so the other previous Zeldas where set before WW.Also if we go by the WW intro why didn't it mention Link coming back -after MM- when he returned to hyrule?

Not all the Zeldas were mentioned in WW so TP can be the same.

I think tension will be building up so we must stay calm and not insult,debating is good and all but don't take it to far.Myself included.

Jamba you're asumung yourself though.

You're asuming that Twilight Princess could be anything because you think other Zelda's could take place in between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker.

Also I think that since Nintendo made Ocarina of Time they have been trying to bring some order to the 3D Zelda series.

As you can see Majora's Mask was a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time.

Wind Waker also looked like a departure but in the end it actually had a lot of legacy terms in it relating to Ocarina of Time.

So even though we know very little about Twilight Princess it may also carve it's own place into the modern Zelda series without leaving the fans to figure out where it is meant to go.

EDIT : We also have Phantom Hourglass now which is a clear sequel to The Wind Waker.

So yeah I do think that Nintendo is actually now trying to get the main Zelda titles to relate to each other unlike the original Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past that make it not at all clear where their place is in the series.

Oh come on.... I understand what you're saying, but just look at how steep those cliffs are. You really think a horse can ride up there? There are places in the real world you can't reach (on foot or horse, anyway) so why can't there be places like that in a game?

Anything is possible. Did you think Gandalf could lead the Riders of Rohan down the hill at Helm's Deep? No, but he did it and rode to victory.

At the time of that interview, Aonuma thought the game was almost done for November. NGC announced in December that the delay was because they wanted to bring it out on the Wii. They couldn't just leave the GC version alone for a year, they added to the story. I think decades now is years, and TP Link is infact Young Link from OoT. I'm gonna stop now because no one listens to my stories.

And Majora's Mask is infact the first Zelda game I think. Link was returned to the time seven years before he had slain Ganondorf, and he hasn't aged so Majora's Mask takes place before Ocarina.

And also on your Majora's mask point though, even if the game was set in another reality wouldn't it still take place pretty much directly after Ocarina of Time?
Of course, it's the most direct OoT sequel we have, since it's the only one with Hero of Time to start with.

But TP should also be a direct sequel to OoT, direct sequel to it's adult ending.

Errr.... we don't know how long it was between the end of OoT and the return of Ganon to cause the flood. All of the games could have happened in the middle of that.

There has never been any mention of time scales between any of these events, so people should really stop asuming stuff.

We never know exact chronological dates for Zelda games, we only know TP is set a "few decades" after OoT and and Wind waker "a few centuries" also, notice WW prologue, is there's been more than one link who saved the world, why only hero of time gets mentioned?

It wouldn't make sense to place a old zelda in in a timeline there. Nintendo isn't even trying to do that: relating Oracle games, minish cap, Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 (NES) to the mainquest ones.

What they're doing is relating the new zeldas between them with OoT as a stepping stone, and all home console zeldas since OoT have a relation.

Other Zeldas were set before WW and also it was said WW was the latest in the timeline so the other previous Zeldas where set before WW.Also if we go by the WW intro why didn't it mention Link coming back -after MM- when he returned to hyrule?

Not all the Zeldas were mentioned in WW so TP can be the same.

according to Nintendo's Eiji Aonuma... no, Four Swords Adventures on GC should be the last in the storyline, and it's related as "a few centuries after aLttP", OoT also started with as a aLttP prequel so what we don't know as of now is wether it takes place in MM reality or WW reality. that's the only game Nintendo might give a clear answer on how does it relate to OoT.

WW intro doesn't mention link returning to hyrule because he didn't return to that hyrule of TP and WW.

He was sent back 7 years to old hyrule, in MM's hyrule there is no renognized Hero, of Time, because it never happened, but that's where link, the hero of time is. Adult Zelda stayed in the future though, to atone for her sins, it's not like that reality ceased to exist, link only closed the path of times.

The encounter with link and Zelda in the end of OoT is between link who already lived that before, and child Zelda who encounters him for the first time, she doesn't remember a thing.

At the time of that interview, Aonuma thought the game was almost done for November. NGC announced in December that the delay was because they wanted to bring it out on the Wii. They couldn't just leave the GC version alone for a year, they added to the story. I think decades now is years, and TP Link is infact Young Link from OoT. I'm gonna stop now because no one listens to my stories.
The story could have changed and be expanded, but still should be roughly the same, from decades to years it doesn't change the fact that it is a new link since we are in that reality wher hero of time ceased to exist.

To do what you're saying the game would have to take place after MM, and it wouldn't lead to WW.

And Majora's Mask is infact the first Zelda game I think. Link was returned to the time seven years before he had slain Ganondorf, and he hasn't aged so Majora's Mask takes place before Ocarina.
Also, no, since it takes place 3 months after OoT, even if time was reversed 7 years, it means that OoT events would have already started 3 months ago.

It's the zelda that ends chronologically before, though. since OoT would have ended a few years after and it only takes 3 days. But the link in it already lived a adventure before it, he just traveled back in time.

Anything *should* be possible, but Nintendo won't go against the coerency they built for their story and they have a big, epic setting now as is.

Jamba you're asumung yourself though.

You're asuming that Twilight Princess could be anything because you think other Zelda's could take place in between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker.

Hang on if I think that something could happen, I also think that it may not. Therefore how am I assuming anything? You basically just said that I'm assuming something because I'm assuming nothing :eek:

I don't get it....

Also pedro where did you get those quotes of decades and centuries? Is that from text in WW?

Hang on if I think that something could happen, I also think that it may not. Therefore how am I assuming anything? You basically just said that I'm assuming something because I'm assuming nothing :eek:

I don't get it....

Also pedro where did you get those quotes of decades and centuries? Is that from text in WW?

Aonuma interviews, he originally said (or was mis-translated) that WW took place 100 years after OoT, infact it should take place a few hundreds of years after.

as for TP, I posted it 1 page ago:

“Chronologically speaking, the game takes place a few decades after The Ocarina of time,” said Aonuma, which places it between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker. But the version of Link is different than that of any other Legend of Zelda title. Like all of the Links before him, though, he carries a wide assortment of weapons and explores dungeon-like surroundings.
Source: http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=7164eddd-2039-4944-920b-d0731be99e05

That's what aonuma said.

I still don't believe there are alternate timelines. If there was why doesn't it show what happens to the adult link at the end of oot.
Nintendo confirmed them when they anounced WW. It was only speculated before that.

I don't get it....

I think I was talking shit myself as well.