N-Europe

Maths help (sats)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's about 2 questions on this in the exam, total 3 marks. Not much.

Yer, im not too worried about the maths or science, only the english writing, as you can easily write a rubbish story when you know you can do better. I'm getting too worked up:heh:

system_error what do you read at uni? or whatever you are doing. Fourier transformation is a monster I hated from my student days, I did physics with maths and there were a lot of fourier in experimental side.

Thankfully forgetting everything I did has freed my soul from its eternal condemnation. I strongly recommend it :)

I lost my calculator, so my mum went and bought the only one available, a 20 quid version with so many modes. Anyone know what the standard mode used for percentages is and other sums because my answers come up in fractions like 35% is 77/2

What brand is your calculator - on a simple one (I assume you have one of these) it is mostly a button where you can change the display format to 0.5 from 1/2 and so on.

On my Ti30X Solar I press [2ND] [F<->D] but that should be in the manual. I am not quite sure I mostly use my Ti92+.

@Flaight: It is a mixture between information - telecommunications technology and electronics. So I have a lot of maths (Analysis, Linear Algebra, Discreete mathematics, ...) and I must confess I suck at it hehe.

ah good old fourier transforms, im also doing them at the moment, very useful in optics, however they think we're just supposed to know the graphs instinctivly after only having seen them for a few terms. sigh.

presonally i recon legendre polynomials, bessel equations and laplaces equations are pretty annoying. especially bessel and legendre, it seems like the solutions have been plucked from the sky. anyone know somewhere that explains them well?

What brand is your calculator - on a simple one (I assume you have one of these) it is mostly a button where you can change the display format to 0.5 from 1/2 and so on.

On my Ti30X Solar I press [2ND] [F<->D] but that should be in the manual. I am not quite sure I mostly use my Ti92+.

@Flaight: It is a mixture between information - telecommunications technology and electronics. So I have a lot of maths (Analysis, Linear Algebra, Discreete mathematics, ...) and I must confess I suck at it hehe.

It's a casio fx-991ES, the modes you can use are:comp,complx,stat,base-in,equation,matrix,table,vector, im on comp at the moment but stil comes up with 77/2 when i work out an answer that is 33.5- i type in 17.5 divided by 100 times 220.

Guest Stefkov

ive got a request, something totally not related but her goes, please could people give me some variables and their units. this is or science homework aswell. ive got force=newtons and frequency=hurtz. so please could people give me more,

greatly appreicated

just remember to cross multiply, expand the brackets, bring the x's to one side and solve.

Variables:

Pressure - Pascals

Velocity: m/s, acceleration m/s^2

Magnetic field - T (tesslar)

Capacitor - F (Farad)

Current - A (amps)

REsistance - ohmes

Voltage - V (volts)

hope this helps

Guest Stefkov

yea hthast helped thanks, the first couple we havnt learnt about, butt he last few helped. cheers.

ive got a request, something totally not related but her goes, please could people give me some variables and their units. this is or science homework aswell. ive got force=newtons and frequency=hurtz. so please could people give me more,

greatly appreicated

Finaly something which I can help you on:

(note that latin sybols arn't here so there nearest althbet sysbol is used, and numers showing base units for derived are there to indacted raised to the number, so kgm-3 is kgm raised to the - 3, (or cubed).

Base quanitities and units

Time, t =seconds,s

length, l =metre, m

temperature T, = Kelvin, K

mass, m =Kilogram, Kg

electric current I, = ampere, A

luminous intensity= candela, cd

substance amount, n = mole, mol

Physical quantity (derived quantities) and there bases

Density, p = Kgm-3

momentum, p = Kgms-1

force, F = kg ms-2 (also in newtons)

pressure, pa =Kgm-1 s-2 (Nm-2)

power, =Kgm2s-3 (Js-1),W (watt)

work energy=Kgm2 s-2 (Nm), joule, J

electrical charge= As, coulomb, C

Potential differnce=Kgm2A-1s-3 (JC-1), volt, V

resistance, R = Kgm2 A-2 s-3 (V A-1), ohm,

missed out: capacitors and magnetic fields, as well as moments (moment of a force, Nm), also couple, Nm. Didn't put down acceleration, or velocity, also could mention different types of energy such as Knetic, gravitational. Angular speed, angle turned/time taken ( w =rad/s) is anouther, centripetal acceleration, a (ms-2), found from v2/r. Frequency E=hf. Also flux density, B (also in tesla), found using F=BIl. Also specific heat capacity, c= J Kg-1 K-1 (found using U=mct), likawise latent heat capacity, L (J kg-1), found from Q=ml. Theres a few more within radio activity, such as Activity, A (s-1) =decay constant (s-1) times number of undecayed nuclei, N.

Guest Stefkov

ah thankyou a lot. a lot of that helped me. some of it we havnt really learnt about so i dont know whether i should include them, im not gonna because i dont know it just defies the point of what i know....lol im asking people,

anyway thanks

Too bad we don't have many mathematicians around here I could use some help too once in a while :)

Especially when it comes to Fourier Transformations ...

I think Mr. Odwin is a statistician...

I'm doing double maths A-level, so I'm no help with fourier tranformations yet. (I do know what they are, but that's about where it stops)

Grr, I hate maths. I've actually been revising stats all day though (in the maths section of the library. I felt so... dirty), not much fun. So if you will excuse me, I shall leave you geeks, er I mean incredibly intelligent mathmos to it.

Grr, I hate maths. I've actually been revising stats all day though (in the maths section of the library. I felt so... dirty), not much fun. So if you will excuse me, I shall leave you geeks, er I mean incredibly intelligent mathmos to it.

Which module? (assuming you're doing a-levels) I'm doing stats 2 in about 3 weeks.

Which module? (assuming you're doing a-levels) I'm doing stats 2 in about 3 weeks.

Nooo, I'm doing a geography degree, but we have a module called 'IT and Skills for Geographers', which loosely translates as 'Computers and maths for retards'. Still not much fun though.

Im doing mechanics module, retaking the A/S module, didn't really do that good, lol. Got mine in just over a month, got 22 exams from may 16th to june 23rd! Anyone doing Core Maths 3/4? How are you finding it? I think it's quite alright considering i got 95% and 72% in the Jan 2006 papers (mock) of Core 3 and 4