NEurope
Nick

What The Hell?? Nintendo Wii!!??

" *insert game name here* ... only Wii can play"

I kinda like that!

Very nice. I like it :)

Just like Snoop Dogg once said: "Nintend.......oooooohhh wiiiiiiiiiiiii"

And you know here in germany it doesn´t sound like piss or whatever... it sounds cool to me, and I think in every other country it´s the same, and you know in usa there are even more people speaking spanish/portuguise than english...

Everybody not buying it because of it´s name and getting fucked by his "friends" just doesn´t have any self-confidence left over...or has just a low IQ...

It's a good job they have announced the name now tho otherwise it would so over shadow all the good games being announced at E3.

Did no one at nintendo think what it could mean in the UK?

Nintendo guy: err excuse me sir i was over in London the other day and i was in one of those pub places and they use the term "wee" for urinating...are you sure this is a good name for our console seen as the UK is a huge slice of our european consumers. I really liked N5, it makes sense to call it that, how about it huh ?

Nintendo head guy: shut up fool.

Like... it wasn't a fanboy attack! I just didn't know that some much people wouldn't like it! Don't you guys think that Nintendo have analisers to see what is best for the console?! I think that they are not so stupid of making this kinds of mistakes. It's obviously that everybody wasn't expected this. Most of all were thinking that Revolution would be the definition name. But with the explanation of the name given by Nintendo, i think that it can have sucess. "Wii is Revolution". I believe that most of people are acting like that because they were very used with the name Revolution. Such as i. A still think that the name Revolution owns, since the console is a "real" Revolution, but Wii is still a Revolution.

Two things:

1. Nintendo's name analisers suck balls (if such a magical post exists).

2. Are you English? Cos you don't sound it. And if your not, then of course you won't understand why people don't like. It is a sland term for urine and is something that little children say.

" *insert game name here* ... only Wii can play"

I kinda like that!

See? Even these ads with the name Wii are great. At leas, imo, i think they're cool.

Kaplan said the criticism was not unexpected, given Wii's uniqueness.

"I think people have to look back and let it settle in," she said. "I'm sure people felt the same way when Google was named – or the iPod. Napster. Yahoo. There's a whole host of unusual names that have become a part of everyday conversation and I think they're viewed now as unique."

I really wish Nintendo would would drop the whole Apple thing, it's getting repetative.

Basically if you don't speak english as your primary language this is a very cool, 21st century name.

Like people have already said I'm only thinking this as a bad name because of how it will seem to the average joe and the chance of Nintendo gaining more ground credability wise. I know I'll buy the console regardless and I'm sure everyone on here will too.

But if you do speak english as your first lanuage this is a piss poor.

I think you people are forgetting something: When since have Nintendo of Europe actually cared about the UK or their opinions? I mean look at their Wi-Fi website!

I can imagine in the UK the Nintendo Wii is really going to further damage their reputation since it sounds so childish.

I thought about it, and, now, I'm pretty much ok with it, as long as I can still call it a rev.

Or pronounce it "why".

I do like the "only wii can play it" thing though...

But trust Nintendo to fall at the last hurdle.

I mean, they got it all right up to now, bar the lack of HD, but that doesn't affect most of us Europeans. So they had only one thing left to do apart from games which they always (apart from mario parties) do right. Looks like Nintendo is living up to its reputation. It has screwed UK and North America (not to mention Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand) over once again.

Especially the UK.

Fuck 'em

WORST

NAME

EVER.

"Hey wow, Nintendo is really going in the right direction with this console. This looks awesome, I can't wait! They're going to sell a ton of these! Wait, what? ......"Wii"?.......you're kidding, right?......well, so much for that dream."

I think I can hear the every single employee of Sony and Microsoft rolling on the floor laughing at the same time.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Or the Wii, as the case may be.

they'll probably just call it Wii"why" in UK etc, the news here is very good at doing stuff like that with slightly dodgy names.

Even on the danish boards the first thing people mentioned was what it could in english.

But i think its a ok name. Sounds stupid, but looks good.

OMG... now i understand you guys. I'm Portuguese. So it was cool. But i wouldn't like to call Nintendo "nós"! Because "we" in portuguese means "nós".

I wouldn't like it all. Ok, now i see. It really could be a problem. Sorry my reaction earlier.

P.S: I'm not a Fanboy btw.

Don't you guys think that Nintendo have analisers to see what is best for the console?! I think that they are not so stupid of making this kinds of mistakes.

Oh the irony!

I'm talking about anal-isers and mistakes.

Edit - Just read you're portuguese.. I'll let you off. Still humourous though.

Kaplan didn't give a good explanation of the meaning behind Wii, neither did Mat Attwood. It's not about you or me, it's about Wii. That's it? We're stuck with this crappy name for the next few years because of that!!!

Pasting what I posted in the official news thread because, well, it deserves repeating:

Excuse my swearing, I'm not going to be able to avoid it.

What the fuck are Nintendo thinking?

My reaction?

I am fucking horrified.

I understand the sentiment behind the idea, but, but... are they fucking morons?

There will be absolutely no need for Xbox360 and PS3 owners to take the piss, we will be doing a good enough job already.

After some more thinking, I think it should be pronounced "why" here in the UK and in North America.

they'll probably just call it Wii"why" in UK etc, the news here is very good at doing stuff like that with slightly dodgy names.

Yeah, if NoE actually bother to do anything to deal with the obvious problem caused by calling the console 'Wii' (which, to be honest, they probably won't), it'll probably just be to say, 'Oh, we're pronouncing it 'Why' in Europe', and leave it as that.

We just need to cross our collective fingers that Nintendo will name it something else over here, like they did with the Famicom/NES, and like Sega did with the Genesis/Mega Drive.

I don't know what's funnier, to be honest - the name 'Wii' or the people trying to act all sensible and mature by saying, 'Anyone under ten who associates Wii with urinating is extremely immature'.

What was that bang a heard?

Was that the sound of Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot?