NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
LazyBoy

Is it possible for Nintendo reclaim their throne?

The question to all of you, will Nintendo become No.1 yet again?

As you all know during the NES an SNES eras Nintendo ruled the industry. Their products sold rediculous amounts, and trampeled the competition. Sony usurped their throne with the playstation, and still hold it. I'm actually a believer in the whole third launch itch theory, which means it is time for Sony to fall.

Will Sony fall is the first question you must ask. Well look at the PS3, an overpriced goliath of a machine that is trying to push a new format. Now there is no doubt that the playstation name and reputation plays a large part here, but I ask you, did Nintendo not have that reputation once as well. The 360 practically does everything the PS3 does, and does it for less. Why not get a 360. Hell it's getting all the PS3s games anyway.

Judging the fate of the XBox is a tough one. No one will argue with me that the XBox & 360 are Japanese failures. The west is a different situation entirely though. The name does very well in the states, and also manages to hold its own in Europe. But more importantly it is the machine of the hardcore gamer. However a slow start in sales and a distinct lack of decent games (well in my opinion anyway) means that Microsofts intended early lead may not have done the good they wanted it to.

And now for the Revolution, which from here on in will be refered to as the N5 (because revolution is an b***h to type out and N5 is a better name). Lets start by refering to the ever used DSvPSP comaprison. The DS is winning at the moment, only by a slight margin in the west, but it is winning. The system is sold on its innovation, and really only that.

The DS has two major drawbacks in the eyes of your common consumer:

1. Compared to the PSP it is not as...sexy for the lack of a better word. This can be proved with the lite. A machine that is in my eyes as gorgeous as the PSP, and what happens in Japan, it sells more than any of us could of imagined.

2. The graphics. Now maybe not as important to some of us more hardcore gamers (or at least I like to think so), but it does matter to the casual gamer. The PSPs main selling point is its glossy visuals, and the DSs main weakness.

Now lets compare this to the N5:

1.We can all agree it is a beautiful machine, possibly more beautiful than the other two. This will help it in all teritories. In Japan the compact size, and in the West the apple white, blue light and minimalist look of it all.

2. The graphics. The reason why I have had to hold of making this thread until now. We've all hopefully seen them, and they are just awesome. All of you who moaned when the specs where released, now silenced by those 11 little pictures. They are good, and that will help.

Of course I am forgetting one key detail, the controller. I don't know about you but the idea of playing Metroid Prime 3 with that baby make me giddier than a schoolgirl. The innovation worked with the DS, and it'll work more so with the N5. Nintendo just need to get people trying it out.

The virtual console is also an issue, but not a major one. In Japan yes, and it may act as a way to tip the scales for the older generation in the west. It may also help those gamers who migrated to the XBox who were previously Nintnedo players. Its importance is deliberated.

Nevertheless we are forgetting Nintendos biggest threat, as it is in any business, their competitors. Sony and Microsoft will push the HD and push the power of the consoles and the unwitting consumer will drink it in. The question is whether Nintendo can do the same with its FHC.

I personally think Nintendo might be able to do it. I thought otherwise before the pictures were released. I knew they would be good, just not that good. They will own Japan, they will. They will do well in Europe, hell Nintendogs sold more here than anywhere else. It is just the states, where XBoxs lead and Microsofts stranglehold will be a threat.

I want to hear your views on the subject, so please, post away.

After seeing the screens of Red Steel I can see it doing better than I initially had thought it might, simply because people who wouldn't have bought it because it wasn't "graphically capable" are now seeing otherwise!

I can see the Rev being the majority of peoples "2nd choice" console still as it offers something different and immersive in many new ways. I think it's through this reasoning that it will sell really well and possibley could take number one in sales... (not that I think it will)!

I feel that Revolution will wipe them out. Sony have made a collossal error in their consoles. They are trying to copy the competition, they don't want to provide fun and enjoyment. They want money, and to thrash Nintendo. Come on, why else would they have put off the PS3 controller for this long? They're copying it. The PSP was announced a touch screen add-on. Anyone else see that as a bit suspicious? Sony are relying on graphics and industrial espionage to sell their console. I hope to god that they get crap sales.

Things will stay as they are in Europe i bet, probably not in Japan.

Sony will lose some share over all to Microsoft and Nintendo will probably gain abit more but still lead in the handheld sector.

I don't expect much to change, if at all.

I feel that Revolution will wipe them out. Sony have made a collossal error in their consoles. They are trying to copy the competition, they don't want to provide fun and enjoyment. They want money, and to thrash Nintendo. Come on, why else would they have put off the PS3 controller for this long? They're copying it. The PSP was announced a touch screen add-on. Anyone else see that as a bit suspicious? Sony are relying on graphics and industrial espionage to sell their console. I hope to god that they get crap sales.

I agree with Sony falling, but don't you even consider the 360 a threat. To me it is the main threat. Especially in the states where Nintendo is going to be weakest. Plus it has had that head start.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just Microsoft nedd to be recognised.

Nintendo have the potential. It all depends on the games. But if they get the games revolution is a clear vinner.

XBOX 360.

56733884_8a9876603c.jpg

Hell yes. I'm sorry I can't manage a serious discussion after seeing Red Steel.. I'm sure they'll do it in Japan.. and Europe but America I'm not sure about.

After seeing what the rev can do visualy, and it's potentail in inavation, and is lower price, I think the rev will do very well. Most gamers will want one if just as a second console (which are normally the ones which offer soemhting differnt at a cheaper price).

I agree with Sony falling, but don't you even consider the 360 a threat. To me it is the main threat. Especially in the states where Nintendo is going to be weakest. Plus it has had that head start.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just Microsoft nedd to be recognised.

The reason why I don't see them as a threat is because they've had too much of a head start. By the time the others are released, XBox 360 will be seen as old and a classic, and people will focus their attention on the others. Also, they made mistakes at launch, like ones that happened to set fire to things...

I can see it doing really well in Japan and Europe and maybe do all right in America,if they do good publicity and make everyone aware of it's graphics and the control it can do really well,if they want to have a good chance of beating 360 they must release some really kick-ass FPS at launch liek Red Steel and a few others and release Prime 3 before Halo 3,that would shift the sales a bit hopefully

The reason why I don't see them as a threat is because they've had too much of a head start. By the time the others are released, XBox 360 will be seen as old and a classic, and people will focus their attention on the others. Also, they made mistakes at launch, like ones that happened to set fire to things...

A situation almost identical to that of the playstation2 at launch. Granted the PS2 had a lot longer lead (can't remember how much it was exactly), but those circumstances proved to a good end for Sony.

I think the Rev and Xbox360 will both gain more ground this time round than they both did last time. I think Sony will lose ground.

I think the over pricing, lack of exclusives and it's easy comparisons to the cheaper Xbox360 will be their downfall.

I honestly believe Sony won't run away with it this time like they did with PS2, although saying that I still can't get over how people ignored the wonderful Dreamcast because of the PS2 but that's beside the point.

I think Xbox360 will match PS3 for graphics and that will mean to casusal gamers that there is no need to purchase the more expensive machine.. name or no name.

The Xbox 360 is the first next generation thing, and as far as I know, it's not doing pretty well.

Quite simply, No. Although I do think they'll gain alot of ground, a major improvement.

Something like...

PS3 - 70 Million (Will take Europe, 2nd in America, 2nd in Japan)

360 - 50 Million (Will take America, 2nd in Europe, not on scale in Japan)

REV - 40 Million (Will take Japan, tie 2nd in America, 3rd in Europe)

I think these are very reasonable figures!

Nintendo has built up much more support in Japan and has already proved that it can easily undermine Sony's 'bigger is better' philosophy. while Microsoft has the marketing money and the price cut advantage to slay PS3 in America

In the US, the economy isnt as bubbly as it was when when the PS1 and PS2 were released. It just seems like a bad time to have 2 high-priced video game consoles on the shelves at the same time.

Respect goes to Nintendo and Microsoft for choosing a path and sticking to it, both of which have the capacity to eat away Sony's marketshare.

Its gonna cost Sony an absolute fortune and alot of empty promises (10-year life span for PS3? right..) to stay on top

Quite simply, No. Although I do think they'll gain alot of ground, a major improvement.

Something like...

PS3 - 70 Million (Will take Europe, 2nd in America, 2nd in Japan)

360 - 50 Million (Will take America, 2nd in Europe, not on scale in Japan)

REV - 40 Million (Will take Japan, tie 2nd in America, 3rd in Europe)

I don't think PS3 will take Europe much because alot of kids have PS2's so parents will not buy them one at all because of the price and get a Rev instead

The Xbox 360 is the first next generation thing, and as far as I know, it's not doing pretty well.

Anyone can tell you the PS2 got off to a slow start as well.

However I am forgetting that comparisons can be drawn between the 360 and the Dreamcast. Personally I believe the 360 will make a lot of ground this generation, and it will be a close contest between it and the N5 for first place worldwide.

I agree with Shadow.. I don't think Europe can endure such high prices.

Lets assume worst case scenario for all systems.. and we'll also compare systems on the price for the wireless enabled system.

360 = £279 (£209 for core pack but £100+ in accesories to kit it out)

Revolution = £189

PS3 = £415

I just can't see how people in Europe will go for the PS3, when it comes to the issue of HDTVs which cost at least £500, and then games for the HD systems which are £50-60 and accesories which are considerably overpriced £70 for the 20gb hard drive for a 360 core pack.. £60 for the 360 wireless adaptor that the other systems have built in.

Revolution hits the price boxes on every level, cheap system, cheap games, cheaper TVs, cheaper electricity bill, less accesories to buy in the first place.. the only thing I can think the Revolution fails on significantly is the lack of DVD playback out of the box which will cost £20 for a mpeg2 license for Europe.

I think Revolution will take 1st Japan, 2nd in Europe and America.

Perhaps some people will be happy just having a PS3 on launch with 1 controller and 1 game.

The 360 is a strong contender though, there's gonna be a price jerk when Halo 3 comes.. 360 core will no doubt be in contention with the all inclusive Revolution.

In Japan I can really see Nintendo dominating this generation. Japanese gamers will no doubt go nuts for the Revo and its new way to play while us in Europe will no doubt stick with Sony and many a football game. In America its pretty hard to call. I do see Microsoft as a big player this time round. By the time the next 2 consoles arrive developers will have had the time to get alot out of the machine and no doubt a price cut will come into play around the launch of the PS3.

Personally I would love for Sony to be dethroned this generation.

nintendo will get a substantial proportion of the (soon to be expanded) market but so will sony. i think this console war is going to be different to every other in that their wont be a clear winner. but nintendo will make the largest profit of the three companies and will carry on making great games and thats all that matters!

Even if Nintendo doesnt become market leader, which i happen to think they could, theyre still sitting on a profit goldmine.

On the other hand, Sony is risking it all to stay on top, but what good is marketshare when your losing hundreds on every console. And how many 60 dollar games are PS3 owners willing to buy to make up for the losses?

And how many 60 dollar games are PS3 owners willing to buy to make up for the losses?

Won't be 60 dollars thats to cheap -£35-.They need to sell a lot of games for a profit.Hero-of-Time I doubt a lot of people will 'stick' with Sony with the new way to play.DS is outselling PSP and that's a new way to play

Personally I would love for Sony to be dethroned this generation.

I'm pretty confident Sony will fall back big time this generation. The Playstation 3 is a too expensive, too ugly and not very mainstream device. Costing 600 euros, with expensive games whilst not offering more than the competition, I think most mainstreamers will settle with a 360 to play their football games on.

As for the Revolution, it's too hard to say. I think it'll be quite easy to surpass the GameCube but after that, I don't know how well it's going to do.

There's an awful lot of emphasis on who is number one and who sells the most.. but people often flock in numbers.

What you enjoy doesn't mean it is best, only for you.

Nintendo will be making a profit on their hardware from launch, Sony and Microsoft are at a loss.. I'll be happy if Nintendo profit and remain a success giving them oppurtunity to fund more and attract more games to the system.

For me, Revolution will be best.. I think Nintendo will be a financial success from the get go.

Sign in to follow this