N-Europe

Vector art?

Eenuh

Wasn't sure where to post this, but basically I'm looking for some more information on vector art. More specificly, I'd like to know what programs there are out there that can be used to produce this. Any ideas?

Also, just about any kind of information on it would be nice. And if you have some nice vector art you made (or someone else made), be free to post it here... to give this thread a bit more of a purpose.

Pfft where to start, i ahve a load of vector wallpapers, I got them all from here:

http://browse.deviantart.com/wallpaper/vector/?view=1&order=9&limit=24

I personally love the ones with the black image on a colourful background like this one:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/21167530/

(which is currently my wallpaper)

i'd like to know how to make these too, in the GIMP preferably

Adobe illustrator completely deals with vectors. altho i really hate vectors:(
Personally... I use freehand MX, I don't hate vectors at all though.

Although I don't use it for art.

just... work work work...

I don't recomend Photoshop at all to do that... Freehand and Illustrator that's all you need to know...

I can post my last work, still unfinished... (and maybe ask for feedback) but I don't know it'll help in anything... it's just work after all.

flyer36xt.th.png

I'm not completly satisfied with the black title and overall colors, oh, and sorry for the portuguese text :X

Just to clear up the basic idea of a vector image:

A vectored image refers to one that can scale infanantly without interpolation. Or, in easier words, can be resized to any scale without loosing any quality.

Vectors are used for a lot of things, such as logos. Their main idea is that they can be highly sized up for printing on large posters and such.

I am rather new to vectors, but I got Adobe Illustrator, and have played around alot. They have a strong purpose, and are a good thing to get to know. Though you have to reilize their boundaries. For example, you can not easilly vectorize a photograph. Vectors usually are simple solid or gradianted patterns.

The vector style, such as the wallpapers at DA refers to this simple solid colored based design. Though they probably were not made in true vector form, they use the idea behind it.

Hope this helps out a bit. :grin:

Thanks for the info everyone.

And yes, I do mean vector art as in the one that can be resized and still look the same no matter what the size is.

Guess I'll be looking at Adobe Illustrator then; want to learn more about this vector stuff. =3

arghhh, no one commented my work :weep::cry:

EDIT: but yeah, Illustrator might be your best choice... freehand might disapear as it was from Macromedia, and adobe bought them a few months ago, adobe has Illustrator, so either freehand will fuse with it, or simply cease to be updated... it's unlikely for them to keep two products going against each other.

arghhh, no one commented my work :weep::cry:

Nice work, pedrocasilva.

Here are two massively different examples of how vectors can be used:

Beautiful pattern by a deviant called Vasilisa (one of my dA favourites from some time ago)

http://www.deviantart.com/view/17469610/

And a trace of mine

http://www.deviantart.com/view/20608182/

Just thought I would share that.

I use photoshop's pen tool for vectors, although I'm aware Illustrator can do much more.

Nice work, pedrocasilva.

Here are two massively different examples of how vectors can be used:

Beautiful pattern by a deviant called Vasilisa (one of my dA favourites from some time ago)

http://www.deviantart.com/view/17469610/

And a trace of mine

http://www.deviantart.com/view/20608182/

Just thought I would share that.

I use photoshop's pen tool for vectors, although I'm aware Illustrator can do much more.

wow, that was made with 478 vector layers in photoshop? :wink: I can't even picture my PC dealing with that...

Really awesome work you've got there, and you seem to like vector art so... you should try illustrator/freehand sometime and see the results :D

also that Vasilisa work... :o shame the picture is so small... But I really couldn't do that work from scratch, awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically photoshop can't do true vector art...... It's a decent representation of it, but it isn't truely vector art.......

I however have never gone out of my way to use true vector software, so I have no idea how big the differences are. XD

I have no idea how you guys can work with Illustrator... I tried it and all I can do is put some text down. The pen tool acts weird and I just don't know how to use it. The entire program is weird really. I need to find myself some tutorials I think. ='3

I have no idea how you guys can work with Illustrator... I tried it and all I can do is put some text down. The pen tool acts weird and I just don't know how to use it. The entire program is weird really. I need to find myself some tutorials I think. ='3
well... I can give you my advise for pen tool... you have to use keyboard keys to tame the damn thing...

it's like... you have two points and make a line with them right? a straight one...

now... doing the same thing, instead of releasing it... click and drag it along. it'll make curves...

next step... after this supose you want to make another straight line... but you can't do it in the direction you want... so go to the last "point" youve made (the rectangular one) and click on it it should make a "<" symbol which means it'll get shortened, thus you'll loose one of the two "thingies your selected line has.

that's the basics to make any object on it, knowing that you'll somehow manage.

-------------------------------------------

if you want to move a point in the line you made... "ctrl" and while you hold it move it, when you let it go it returns to the pen function.

if you want to delete a point with the pen tool go over it and when a "-" appears click, and it'll be erased, you can also add points in, going over the selected line with the pen tool and clicking where you want then a "+" appears.

I hope this helps, although I feel it is a little confusing, but I did my best in explaining.