NEurope
ultrajamie

Ultrajamie's Revolution thoughts (sold my 360)

I'd have to disagree. So what if the 360 has more bells and whistles... thats its job.

It has unparrelled online gaming, Nintendo are simply NOT going to match it with their "friendly" online service. Having a huge amount of storage on a HDD is also really helpful, 1GB simply isn't gunna be enough.

MS has alot of key franchises on board, and Nintendo are losing more and more in terms of their 3rd party support. Yes, okay PDZ was a bunch of crap but PGR3 was simply awe inspiring in terms of both gameplay and graphics. We'll see when Halo 3 rolls around shall we? :)

(oh and i am buying a Revolution)

Ummm?

I've played PGR3...

OK, nice graphics, but I wouldn't call it next-gen graphics! It looks like CRAP, when compared to what MS say the 360 i capable of!

NONE of the games for the X360 launch were impressive.

I'd love to see most PC's or a current platform game pull that off. The dashboard view on it was astounding.

Lets bare in mind, current games were made on beta development kits which had about 1/3 of the 360's power. Fight Night Round 3 has nearly 2 MILLION polygons per character. The game looks so realistic, that a hud isn't even needed to tell how much damage you've taken.

Fight Night Round 3 has nearly 2 MILLION polygons per character. The game looks so realistic, that a hud isn't even needed to tell how much damage you've taken.

But it isn't a leap forward. It's a further consolidation of what the current generation offers.

For some the improvements you describe are enough. For others it isn't. Mario Sunshine wasn't a better game than Mario 64 even though it had better graphics.

I think the money M$ want for what are only incremental improvements is way too much.

Ultimately content will drive sales rather than gloss. And at the moment Xbox 360 is widely perceived as lacking in that department. The best reviews I've seen for Xbox 360 were for simple games downloaded from Xbox Arcade Live which don't need even a fraction of the horsepower the system has. For me that says it all really.

I'd love to see most PC's or a current platform game pull that off. The dashboard view on it was astounding.

Lets bare in mind, current games were made on beta development kits which had about 1/3 of the 360's power. Fight Night Round 3 has nearly 2 MILLION polygons per character. The game looks so realistic, that a hud isn't even needed to tell how much damage you've taken.

that's not really true, they had one third(1/3) of the power in CPU (all of the launch games use only one core, of three cores available), all the rest.. wasn't at 30% at all, and even if it was... for the GPU they just had to push the envelope on-spec knowing the real thing would be faster.

honestly I don't care, of course the graphics will get even better, of course they'll mostly match what the PS3 can do... what matters is the games, and as stated... Xbox 360 and PS3 will have good games with a standard controller.

the point of this thread is... Some gamers are hyped about revolution rather than hyped about X360 and PS3 because of the new aproach to gaming, because we don't have that much fun anymore, or don't really see a point to buy a new console every 4 years just because of the improved graphics...

for me... GC was awesome, but I only bought it in novembr 2003 (almost 2004) because it was like a sequel to N64, not like a whole new concept... so I had other priorities at the moment, it was something good, but nonetheless... something good that I already knew well.

This is a proven point when we make the "50 best Nintendo games ever" pool and Ocarina of Time comes out victorious.

Same with Sony when you make a informed public vote for best sony game ever and FF7 comes in the top (although i've got to say... FF6 is so much better, but most of them didn't lay that one).

It's just that graphical power is good to set the mood and all but it's not that important next to gameplay.

ultrajamie, i read your article on the other site, very well written i must say, same goes for your post here. welcome aboard, sounds like it'll be good having you around. :D

and jordan, nintendo have been building relations back up over the past couple of years, i can see a mountain of support for revolution from devs already in the press, things are looking sweet :D

a friend of mine who owns an original xbox and who frequently comes round to mine (and vice versa) for game nights was telling me about this guy called nathan that comes over to visit him about twice a year. last time i met nathan he ridiculed me for owning a cube, saying he bought one and it was "shite". ofcourse, then i found out what games he had actually played on it (spiderman the movie 1, cel damage and taz) and i just laughed. brian (my original-xbox owning friend) actually took up the reigns and argued for the cube, having at that time just spent the best part of three weeks with me playing through desert storm and metroid prime :D

ok, i need to get to my point: nathan brought over his xbox 360 the last time he was across. and brian was telling me how unimpressed he was. he said it offered nothing new, the graphics were only slightly better and that nathan was saving for an HDTV >JUST< for the 360! the funniest part of the story was nathan's attempts at defending his purchase, it sounded to me (i wasn't there it must be said) like he was disappointed himself but just wouldn't admit it, and his future-purchase of an HDTV was his last ditch attempt to prove himself right! might sound far-fetched but believe me, he's the kind of guy who ALWAYS has to be right! about everything!

i thought about this, and simply laughed to myself, and thought of the sub-£200 revoultion and all the NEW kinds of joy it's going to bring to me and my friends... and my current TV :)

Last week my friend brought round his Xbox 360.. we didint have a HD-TV but when comparing Quake 4 on his Xbox and my Pc with a GeForce 6600.. Mine looked better, he also has PGR3 and i do admit.. it looks beautiful.. but me and my friend both agreed my Half-Life 2 : Lost Coast Demo looked even better

So what if games are using 1 core... thats their fault and not our's

and im pretty sure HL2 has more gameplay that PGR3 has

ultrajamie, i read your article on the other site, very well written i must say, same goes for your post here. welcome aboard, sounds like it'll be good having you around. :D

:)

:p Thanks!!!

RE 4 did offer something new. a new way of playing, and new story line which is why it was so great.

"RE4 who cares same story, zombies and Umbrella, T-virus and G-virus, WHO CARES!! But wait its different, no stupid slow walking zombies, no dumb Umbrella, no stupid G or T virus, and best of all no stupid third point 'Fly on the wall' perspective!"

The story of Resident Evil and Umbrella rules. Don't diss it :angry:

I'm expecting Umbrella to come into play again maybe in a game or two's time. Wesker and Ada's organisation will play an even bigger part too.

:grin: What i hope anyway

Fight Night Round 3 has nearly 2 MILLION polygons per character

i actualy dont belive that, i think you mean the charactors are made up of 2million polly gons, but when you apply normal mapping that is reduced considerably maybe to just over a few hundred k.

Hahaha I just wrote a big reply to this, like 3 paragraphs long then my computer crashed... Windows, don't you just love it :-|

Nice post UltraJamie! You speak your mind honestly, (thats rare on some forums), and can see through hype. I know the Xbox 360 is a good machine, theres no doubt about that. But for a price/hype that high you are expecting something to truly blow you away, and it just doesnt. Imagine any current gen Xbox game, improve the graphics and thats exactly what its like. Having seen and played it on both standard def and high def, I can say that you can boost the graphics, improve the resolution all you want but if ur not feeling like its worth the price then you have a valid argument.

some nice reads here

for the price of the 360 at launch £269.99 wasnt it...there games at launch didnt give me any reason to go and get one at such a high price (and games are £50).

the one game i thought of getting was "kameo" but after reading up on it i found it can be completed easily in a weekend....bit of a waste of £50 if u ask me.

Onto fight night round 3 i was watching "gamer tv" on bravo the other week and they couldnt praise it enough they said its gunna be must have and the graphics and the best they have EVER seen. (IF had a 360 i still wouldnt get it cause i cant stand boxing games)

whats the cheapest HDTV out at the moment that makes the 360 graphics look a bit better? say £1000 or so (correct if wrong)....just to make the graphics look a tad better is a bit of a ripoff. BUT then again it seems HDTV is the way foward with new sky digital channels dedicated to HDTV and the news that all sky channels will be HDTV in the next few years.

im not so sure we can blame the likes of sony and x box for being samey as it happends with nintendo. it is after all down to the game creators who keep pumping out the same old stories the same old way of playing a game. like don king its all for the money. as always ninty is to shake things up but it could easly go back to being samey within a couple of years, and why, its all about the benjamins babby.their needs to be more new tallent and more new ways of thinkin.as games that are differnt get thrown out because they dont see profit in the market.

witch should hopefuly change for good with the rev. but i do reserve my right of uncertanty

come on e3 i wish i had a date with thee

Nice post UltraJamie! You speak your mind honestly, (thats rare on some forums), and can see through hype. I know the Xbox 360 is a good machine, theres no doubt about that. But for a price/hype that high you are expecting something to truly blow you away, and it just doesnt. Imagine any current gen Xbox game, improve the graphics and thats exactly what its like. Having seen and played it on both standard def and high def, I can say that you can boost the graphics, improve the resolution all you want but if ur not feeling like its worth the price then you have a valid argument.

thats why i'm exicted about the revolution so much....

despite the high-res graphics on the 360.... well... the games are so same old same old.

the mechanics are no different to what my xbox did.

the thought of playing zelda with first person battles slashing my sword with the FHC and raising my shield with the trigger... and then playing the 3rd person sections with the stick and still being able to use the FHC for other functions....

well.... so me any xbox360 or ps3 game that comes close to that sort of innovation. pretty light shows or not.