Sign in to follow this  
JetSetWilly

Games worth buying a PS2 for?

Are games like this:

ICO

Shadow of the Colossus

Silent Hill

Devil May Cry

Good reasons to pick up a cheap PS2? I loved RE4 and wonder if those games are in a similiar-ish genre and I'm missing out here. After all, there's nothing on the Cube until Zelda.

Ico and Shadow of The Colossus are nothing like Resident Evil 4, very different type of games. Devil May Cry is probably the closest from those you mention to RE4, fast paced gun and sword action. :) great series.

Don't forget that the PS2 has loads of other great games as well, and more still to come. :)

What I read about ICO and Shadow of the Colossus makes me think someone who likes Zelda could enjoy those games. I mentioned Silent Hill cos I like survival horror and wondered if it was a natural counterpart to the RE series.

You probably would enjoy Ico and Shadow Of The colossus if you like Zelda, they are different paced than Zelda though.

Silent Hill is certainly a survival horror game and alot more spooky and creepier than the RE series, you might wanna look into the Fatal Frame AKA Project Zero series, the second in that series is one of the spookiest games I've ever played. :)

i'd recommend tenchu wrath of heaven. an amazing game with very good replay value. a deep adventure with loads of unlockables. and the unlockable "b-side" script is soo funny.

yes.. my ps2 is packed away for most of the year.. but I just spotted Shadow of the C. and katamari the other day.. and as if that wasnt enough.. I spotted God of war real cheap also.. time to dust off my ps2

ps2 has TONS of excelent titles. From your list i played only Devil May Cry (the third part is EXCELENT!) and Shadow Of The Collosus (one of the best games i ever played). And here's a list of must-buys that i can remember right now:

Final Fantasy X and X-2

Devil May Cry series

Kingdom Hearts

Jak and Dexter series

Ratchet and Clank series

Dragon Quest VIII

Resident Evil 4

Tekken 5

Soul Calibour 3

Pro Evoution Soccer 5

Grand Theft Auto series

Gran Turismo 4

God Of War

Dragon Ball Z Budokai series

I can't remember any more at the moment, but there are many more :)

I'd say don't think twice and buy a ps2, i play it more than GameCube and X-Box, and since Twilight Princess isn't coming anytime soon...

Are games like this:

ICO

Shadow of the Colossus

Silent Hill

Devil May Cry

Good reasons to pick up a cheap PS2? I loved RE4 and wonder if those games are in a similiar-ish genre and I'm missing out here. After all, there's nothing on the Cube until Zelda.

You say they're aren't going to be anyyhing until zelda comes out. Sorry to say but youre 100% wrong theres:

Chibi Robo

Odama

Viewtiful Joe:Red Hot Rumble

And I think theres some other ones aswell.

You say they're aren't going to be anyyhing until zelda comes out. Sorry to say but youre 100% wrong theres:

Chibi Robo

Odama

Viewtiful Joe:Red Hot Rumble

And I think theres some other ones aswell.

All A* titles there mate, aren't they....... :indeed:

Metal Gear Solid 2 + 3

The ending to Metal Gear Solid 2 hurt my head, is 3 as confusing? :wtf:

EDIT: The Transformers game is also a great action game and has some of the best graphics on the PS2. :D

Metal Gear 3 is far superior in terms of story. It has alot more emotion tied to it and the story is easy to understand and very meaningful.

Back on topic if you have online capabilites I recommend Monster Hunter by Capcom. I have clocked nearly 700 hours on this little gem.

Bloody hell you've got alot of time on your hands....

Anyway there are loads of PS2 games worth getting. MGS, ICO, shadow of the colossus, black, PRO EVO 5, Burnout, Devil may cry, Psychonauts etc. I've probably forgotten loads, as these are only games I can think of at the top of my head. Just look at IGN or something similar to get a better guide of what games are available. But there are a BUCKET load of wicked games that you must play on the PS2.

ZOMG, can't believe i forgot Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 :o Those two games, like SotC, are one of the best i've ever played on ANY console!

Well Chibi Robo is and so is Odama so I don't see your point

Are they? Where? Last I looked they werent even available to buy over here, so I have to wonder where the judgement arises from? I mean, Chibi Robo has hardly been sweeping the floor in the US has it? That being said, I should really give my copy a go at some point...

I have a stack of rather "niche" titles on the PS2 that Im sure no-one else would ever be interested in...things like Haunting Ground, Clock Tower 3 (both excellent takes on the survival horror genre), Gregory Horror Show, SOS: The Final Escape (probably the most original Survival Horror game ever), Drakan: the Ancients Gates, Sky Odyssey, Dogs Life, Dark Chronicle, Gallop Racer, Amplitude...and about a million RPGs that I have no hope of ever completing. Many reasons for me. ;)

________

Cappuccino

Edited by Johelian

Are they? Where? Last I looked they werent even available to buy over here, so I have to wonder where the judgement arises from? I mean, Chibi Robo has hardly been sweeping the floor in the US has it? That being said, I should really give my copy a go at some point...

I have a stack of rather "niche" titles on the PS2 that Im sure no-one else would ever be interested in...things like Haunting Ground, Clock Tower 3 (both excellent takes on the survival horror genre), Gregory Horror Show, SOS: The Final Escape (probably the most original Survival Horror game ever), Drakan: the Ancients Gates, Sky Odyssey, Dogs Life, Dark Chronicle, Gallop Racer, Amplitude...and about a million RPGs that I have no hope of ever completing. Many reasons for me. ;)

Well what an immature comment to make, the original reasoning of the post was in reply to someone saying the only other A* game on the GC was Zelda:TP, I was mearly pointing out we have some A* games coming out before that, namely Chibi Robo and Odama.

Also as the fact you mentioned that Chibi Robo hasn't been that successful is because most gamers don't realise that a good game dosen't have to have realistic graphics. In fact after spending some time in America over last summer its about 60% of people out there would buy realistic, and out of those only about 50% would buy games with "different" graphics.

kingdom hearts

ico

shadow of the coloussus

jak series

ratchet series

final fantasy x

devil may cry series

rez

tenchu wrath of heaven

onimusha series

god of war

we love katamari

and okami when it comes out

Thanks for all the replies, everything people have mentioned sounds like stuff that would interest me so I think I'm sold. Just need to find someone unloading one cheap now!

If only all this good stuff were on the Cube.

*sigh*

Well what an immature comment to make, the original reasoning of the post was in reply to someone saying the only other A* game on the GC was Zelda:TP, I was mearly pointing out we have some A* games coming out before that, namely Chibi Robo and Odama.

Also as the fact you mentioned that Chibi Robo hasn't been that successful is because most gamers don't realise that a good game dosen't have to have realistic graphics. In fact after spending some time in America over last summer its about 60% of people out there would buy realistic, and out of those only about 50% would buy games with "different" graphics.

oh mate, just accept that there are no triple A titles comin out for the cube other than Zelda. Even though I'm a ninty fan, I've always recognized that they tend not to have the most hectic release dates. Come on, Chibo Robo a triple A title? Yeh right :hmm:

Triple A titles are more like Resi Evil 4, Metroid Prime, or Smash Brothers on the GC. I don't think Chibo robo belongs in the same class as them.

Linking back to the main topic, PS2 has many triple A titles with recent releases such as ICO and Shadow of the Colossus adding to the long list that other forum members have posted already.

oh mate, just accept that there are no triple A titles comin out for the cube other than Zelda. Even though I'm a ninty fan, I've always recognized that they tend not to have the most hectic release dates. Come on, Chibo Robo a triple A title? Yeh right :hmm:

Triple A titles are more like Resi Evil 4, Metroid Prime, or Smash Brothers on the GC. I don't think Chibo robo belongs in the same class as them.

Linking back to the main topic, PS2 has many triple A titles with recent releases such as ICO and Shadow of the Colossus adding to the long list that other forum members have posted already.

Chibi Robo is not Chibo Robo that isn't a triple A title.

Resi Evil 4 multiplatform, Metroid Prime boring and Smash Brothers was an 80% game not a triple A like your making out it, therefore it really does.

And if you Mr. Babooo haven't realised the gaming industry is stalling right now on every single platform. Why? Because were going to return to the year of no Sony and the new sega, Microsoft.

Lol, you are joking right? You think someones immature because they asked you HOW those games could be A* - which was the original point of the post, no? You havent played them - how are they A*? Odama isnt out yet - how its it A*? Chibi Robo has been scoring poorly in reviews - how is it A*? Im not surprised that, for most people, Zelda is the only game worth looking forward to; I definitely dont see people foaming at the mouth to buy GCs just to play the wonders that are Chibi Robo and Odama. I certainly dont believe that either of these games will be classed alongside Zelda, regardless of how cute I think Robo is.

I also love the way that you summarise all of America based on your own experiences - oh wait, now who is immature?

________

Ecotec

Edited by Johelian

Lol, you are joking right? You think someones immature because they asked you HOW those games could be A* - which was the original point of the post, no? You havent played them - how are they A*? Odama isnt out yet - how its it A*? Chibi Robo has been scoring poorly in reviews - how is it A*? Im not surprised that, for most people, Zelda is the only game worth looking forward to; I definitely dont see people foaming at the mouth to buy GCs just to play the wonders that are Chibi Robo and Odama. I certainly dont believe that either of these games will be classed alongside Zelda, regardless of how cute I think Robo is.

I also love the way that you summarise all of America based on your own experiences - oh wait, now who is immature?

Well most people are scoring Chibi Robo is being badly scored because that most mags and internet sites have now become sony fanboys.

In the two trade mags MCV and Developer, both of those have done surveys that retailers give you figures in, I was providing the truth that when I was in gae shops out there, thats what happened as I previsouly stated.

That doesn't make some one immature.

Sign in to follow this