N-Europe

Come with me if you want to live again

Dan_Dare

Both the first two are sheer genius. The first one is great because Arnie is an unstoppable death machine that get's to say "Fuck you, asshole." The "I'll be back" moment when he drives a truck into the cop station remains a classic cinema moment and the difinitive I'll Be Back moment. The scene where he rises from the flames is spine tingiling. The second one is fantastic because Arnie gets to ride a bike. A BIKE!

he does that in the 1st too, although he's on a sports bike, infinatly less cool than his momma of a harley in 2.

In response to the first post; you'll have a hard time finding a sequel that doesn't do that. It works two ways - one it gives the viewer the satisfaction of knowing something - you won't be able to help smirking when you recognise something in a sequel from a previous film. Similarities are used to ensure the film will appeal to the same people.

But! The similarities are often the reasons why a sequel is rarely better than the original - A film falling on these moments that remind you of the original film are relying on external factors which personally I think should be considered when rating a movie.

Anyway... Yeah. You won't find many sequels that don't follow teh formula of the first movie - I can't think of any. But that's why they're a sequence of movies i guess.