N-Europe

Revolution Design Picture

system_error

I didn't want to necro post but IGN managed to pick up one of these:

hands-on-revolution-dev-kit-20060309051620301-000.jpg

Finally, there's the motion sensory bar, which is a thin black device in the shape of a baton that sits on a tiny stand near or on a television. Nintendo has stated that this bar is a prototype and therefore the unit that ships with the basic developer kit shouldn't be considered final in any way. It is about a foot long and relatively unobtrusive, except for a wire that extends from one side and plugs into the GCN dev kit's Memory Pak slot.

It will not use the GameCube port in the final hardware revision.. that's just silly.. it will either be wireless (and use batteries like the controller) or it will be wired and go into the mystery port (or even USB) featured earlier on.

This confirms as suspected the the system does need a calibration kit for the controller and the orientation sensor is not built into the console or the blue slot loading drive (whichever idiot suggested that). This was obvious because the system can be displayed horizontally or vertically and it would just be far too hard to engineer and get the depth required for a whole room.

I'm still confident digital surround sound (with DVD playback too) will play a role in Revolution.. there was another patent post about a week back which you can read here

The IGN article isn't amazing.. but they do have the alpha dev kit which caused so much controversy because it was just an overclocked GameCube enginer.. and I cannot stress enough does not represent Broadway or Hollywood as Reggie and ATI have stated.

IGN

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is that if they really have a alpha devkit for the controller why are there no other pictures or at least more information? IGN does this everytime - "Hey we got our hands onto this and that" but they can't show it.

The sensor looks quite cool in my opinion I just hope it really works from nearly every position once I configured it right.

I think the final sensor will probably be smaller and I expect it to tie in with the Revolutions design more closely, even if that were the final design I wouldn't really have any complaints though as it should be fairly unobtrusive infront of the TV.

This was also posted -

hands-on-revolution-dev-kit-20060309045216755-000.jpg

Its pretty damn tiny. :shock:

Guest Jordan

Speaking of controllers, curse my XBOX360 pad... now the GC's pad feels short, bulky and pretty horrible to use. :(

I'm sure i'll get back into it for Zelda ;)

Yeah, it's good isn't it?

I always liked the Xbox S-pad but they have done an amazing job with the 360 controller.

I'm also pretty sure the Revolution controller is slightly bigger than that. Someone said in the other thread that the cut-out mockups you can download (and which are the correct size) are larger. It's probably as long as the Cube pad is wide.

The prototype looked small in Iwata's hands.. and he's Japanese, they have small hands.

Revolution-controller-Iwata.jpg note that the Nunchuka add-on is suprisingly big at the connection and that should be noted when you see the white bit coming out of the end.

I will prefer to play games without the Nunchuka when possible.

If were gonna get some motion detector crap them im a bit dissapointed,though im gonna wait till E3 cause I don't fully believe this/If it's true then that's crap

Don't you believe the Revolution controller can follow your movement?

This vid explains all.

How can you be dissappointed? What the heck were you expecting?

I think Shadow didn't want a block in front of his TV.. he expected it to work like magic wirelessly.

Unfortunately that is how it goes.. there needs to be a reciever for it.. Nintendo might jazz it up, but ultimately it will follow that form and size.

It is a requirement of having a free hand controller and I'm totally willing to have a couple of cables round the back of my TV which is already a snake's nest to benefit from this control scheme.

1 Power supply

1 Audio/Visual

1 Reciever (assuming it's not wireless and battery powered which it could well be)

Not that bad for a set up, it could also be noted that there are still USB ports and a mystery port which can be used to add another 2 cables out the back..

Yeah, it's good isn't it?

I always liked the Xbox S-pad but they have done an amazing job with the 360 controller.

I'm also pretty sure the Revolution controller is slightly bigger than that. Someone said in the other thread that the cut-out mockups you can download (and which are the correct size) are larger. It's probably as long as the Cube pad is wide.

I don't like the S XBox Controller really; well, not compared to the 'Cubetroller. The S obviously beats the Duelshocks :heh:

If were gonna get some motion detector crap them im a bit dissapointed,though im gonna wait till E3 cause I don't fully believe this/If it's true then that's crap

What the hell are you on about? We've known this since TGS. Things don't work with magic, the only other solution would be a gyroscope, but it would be more expensive, make the controller bigger, heavier and it would suck more batteries. It's just a little thing near your tv.