N-Europe

Like A Dragon: Pirate Yakuza in Hawaii (28th February 2025)

Julius

Just announced during today's RGG Summit! 

There's that Majima game we've been waiting for :D making proper use of that eye patch at long last!

"Madlantis" :laughing:

Mad Dog and Sea Dog fighting styles. Genius. 

Surprised to see them drop the "Gaiden" moniker, I guess it might have been a one-off because of how it stitched LAD and Infinite Wealth together? Or perhaps the sales figures made them drop it? Very curious. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Julius changed the title to Like A Dragon: Pirate Yakuza in Hawaii (28th February 2025)

Turns out this is actually what Pyoro was teasing yesterday with their "pih" (Pirates in Hawaii) tweet.

They posted to confirm this but have now privated their account again. 

Edited by Julius

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Amazing! RGG remain one of the best in the business. Crazy how many games they keep knocking out.

Seriously!

I need to go back and listen to it again to confirm - might also have been mistranslated, but the translator is killing it so I doubt it - but watching the livestream, Majima's VA Hidenari Ugaku said that he first heard about it at the Infinite Wealth after-party. 

This game will have been made in a year and change by the time it launches, which shouldn't be a surprise considering Gaiden only took 6 months or so, but it kind of is? 

Japanese devs just like to play it smart with assets, too, which I know has come up before, but it's just so smart. They invest a good amount of time in making a massive map they can mix up and evolve rather than starting from scratch, meaning that smaller games can be made in a super fast time. From and RGG both reuse a lot but they always work it in so naturally as well, and so such a good job of making a familiar location feels fresh and exciting to revisit, basically taking their learnings from Kamurocho and applying it to every map they make. 

Seriously, they're some of the best in the biz :bowdown: still got to Infinite Wealth before the end of the year but this has got me even more excited to explore Hawaii for the first time! 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Surprised to see them drop the "Gaiden" moniker, I guess it might have been a one-off because of how it stitched LAD and Infinite Wealth together? Or perhaps the sales figures made them drop it? Very curious. 

Turns out that it's a Gaiden title over in Japan still, so I'm guessing they just dropped it over in the West as it didn't add too much besides an extra word. 

Shame though, I kind of loved it :p

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Turns out that it's a Gaiden title over in Japan still, so I'm guessing they just dropped it over in the West as it didn't add too much besides an extra word. 

Shame though, I kind of loved it :p

Yeah, I would have liked it to have been kept. Would have been nice to have a Gaiden section on the shelf next to the mainline series. :D 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I would have liked it to have been kept. Would have been nice to have a Gaiden section on the shelf next to the mainline series. :D 

Nah, if it forces you to put them in some sort of story order I'm all for them dropping it :laughing:

Apparently this has been spotted as being a full price release on Steam (as opposed to The Man Who Erased His Name), and given that they've dropped the "Gaiden" from the title too, I'm hopeful that this gets a full physical release over here in the way that TMWEHN (what a horrible initialism that is) unfortunately didn't. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Julius said:

I'm hopeful that this gets a full physical release over here in the way that TMWEHN (what a horrible initialism that is) unfortunately didn't. 

Ask and sometimes you'll receive: physical release for the West confirmed! 

:bouncy:

• Like 1

North America and Europe will be getting a Collector's Edition, but it doesn't include the toy :(

What did we do wrong to deserve an acrylic statue? :cry:

Also...

1 hour ago, Julius said:

And the totally canon:

:laughing:

...just realised one of the girls in this is a pretty big YouTuber/streamer in Japan (Kaho)! That's pretty neat to see, I know she's mentioned wanting to be in these games before, like K-son before her. 

Wonder who's next from that corner of the internet to show up in one of these games? 

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

North America and Europe will be getting a Collector's Edition, but it doesn't include the toy :(

Ugh, why even bother? I guarantee some higher-up loser vetoed it because it's too "kiddy" for America!