N-Europe

Paris Olympics 2024 | 24th July to 11th August (Opening Ceremony 26th July)

So, I thought for sure this would be another edition where Portugal would take 0 gold medals home. We had plenty of moderate hopes in various sports (canoeing, judo, athletics), and throughout the events, a bronze in Judo and a silver in Triple Jump were the best we could achieve (kudos to Patrícia Sampaio and Pedro Pichardo, of course).

And then, out of the blue, we get two medals in Cycling! A silver in Omnium and gold in Madison. This is the first gold medal Portugal has ever had outside of athletics. The Olympics have always been great as a way to give the spotlight to less-appreciated sports and modes, and I think that definitely just happened with Cycling.

Anyway, I'm just happy to see a good achievement by our Portuguese athletes.

• Like 1

I was totally annoyed by the BBC coverage the whole way through, issues compounded by the fact my Dad only mentioned he had Discovery+ on the last day of it. Still we got one day of decent coverage in the end.

What we did get to see I absolutely loved, the Olympics is definitely one of my favourite sporting things. Watched a lot of canoe stuff, the new 4 person slalom race was excellent. Got into modern pentathlon a bit (without the horses it’s something I’d love to do myself) and then of course the athletics as usual. Caught a fair bit of the velodrome action where it seemed they’d brought the referees in off the street because they’d forgotten to get anyone in that knew how the sport worked?

Looking forward to the Paralympics now!

• Like 1

That football one where the ref takes the hardest hit and is up immediately vs. the players rolling around on the floor in agony is great. Most of those I wouldn't really think of as bloopers though, just sport.

40 minutes ago, Will said:

That football one where the ref takes the hardest hit and is up immediately vs. the players rolling around on the floor in agony is great. Most of those I wouldn't really think of as bloopers though, just sport.

Yeah it was some weird choices