N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

For me, he has to try and block the shot, his boot is as high as Kane’s and Kane kicks through into the defenders boot. Yes the contact is with the defenders studs, but unless he can somehow twist his foot 180 there’s nothing he can do. 

if it was given on the pitch it would be more understandable but never a clear and obvious error. 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Don't we all. Freaking sucks. 

Indeed. I'm still only part time because I'm still at uni, but I hate it nonetheless :p

Anyways, this is the Euro thread, not the life sucks thread.

YAY football

What a shot from Foden. Seems really on it tonight. Best 30' of England so far at this tournament. Still waiting for the drop-off. 

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Anyways, this is the Euro thread, not the life sucks thread.

There's no difference for some of us with how our nations have performed at this tournament :p

• Haha 2

Best half of the tournament so far for us. A long way to go, we need to make timely subs between 60' and 70' to keep this pace and control, otherwise...yeah. Foden, Mainoo, Bellingham, Walker and Saka are running things out there. 

To go back to the pen, though...

31 minutes ago, Eddage said:

For me, he has to try and block the shot, his boot is as high as Kane’s and Kane kicks through into the defenders boot. Yes the contact is with the defenders studs, but unless he can somehow twist his foot 180 there’s nothing he can do. 

if it was given on the pitch it would be more understandable but never a clear and obvious error. 

Fully agree. It's a 50/50 where both players have the right to go for the ball, Kane gets the shot off and follows through which is exactly what causes the contact in the first place. We've seen them given, we've seen them not, it's not obvious at all (because the ref clearly didn't even clock it until VAR pulled it up), and so shouldn't have gone to VAR in the first place for me. The yellow on top of the pen is INCREDIBLY harsh. 

For me, as someone who used to play as a defender, I'd be absolutely livid if that were given against me. That ref wouldn't hear the end of it. 

Reminder that it's Zwayer refereeing, by the way, who made some awfully atrocious calls in the Netherlands v Romania Ro16 match which ruined the game, so, potentially more mistakes to come ::shrug:

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Love to know what was said in the locker room because we are now playing just like we were in all the other games in the tournament.

I'm guessing Gareth said to carry on as we were, not realising that the Dutch would change up their system which has successfully stifled our play. They've overloaded the midfield and there's nowhere for us to make those bursting runs and short and quick passes to progress things through the middle like we were, and they're happy to contain us on the flanks. 

I'm not sure Gareth knows how to counter that. 

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Also, is Harry Kane not capable of running forward with the ball without falling over?

Warming up for when he needs to win us another penalty :p

Just now, Julius said:

I'm guessing Gareth said to carry on as we were, not realising that the Dutch would change up their system which has successfully stifled our play. They've overloaded the midfield and there's nowhere for us to make those bursting runs and short and quick passes to progress things through the middle like we were, and they're happy to contain us on the flanks. 

Yeah, their midfield is a much better shape now. Gonna be hard to break through them. Probably looking to absorb the pressure and hit us on the break.

I don't understand the logic of bringing Watkins on when Toney has proven himself to be great when coming on as a sub. Plus, if it does end up going to pens, you would rather Toney take one than Watkins.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

I don't understand the logic of bringing Watkins on when Toney has proven himself to be great when coming on as a sub. Plus, if it does end up going to pens, you would rather Toney take one than Watkins.

I'll just leave now. :D

• Haha 1