Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

Think they've just given the kick-off time for the Spain v Georgia match in local time – it kicks off in half an hour at 20:00 BST, not 21:00 like they've just said. 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's exactly what we are doing. We are letting them into the game again. Happens every time we go a goal up.

Yup. 

Even after the chaos of this match and being so lucky to get ourselves into a winning position, we refuse to kill it off. 

So lucky, so fortunate, so everything right now. 

Right then, time for Spain and Georgia to show us what a good football match looks like. 

On 6/29/2024 at 6:55 PM, Julius said:

Honestly, assuming we go through, I'd much rather go out to Slovakia than Switzerland. Think the wrong lessons are going to be taken away from the tournament if we lose to the team that beat Italy and held Germany. 

Still stand by this. 

Not only if we lost to the Swiss is it going to be "oh well they beat Italy and held Germany", but England turning this around has now given Southgate free reign to delay his subs into the eleventh hour once again, a lesson he should have learned after the Italy final in 2021 at the very latest. 

• Like 1

Just now, Julius said:

Between the agonising last few minutes and extra time in the England match and this first 45 between Spain and Georgia being so end-to-end...

...anyone else a bit knackered? :laughing:

I've got whiplash. :D

Crazy the difference in the style of football being played in both matches. Georgia looks fearless and are willing to put it all on the line. England, as always, look completely flat.

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Between the agonising last few minutes and extra time in the England match and this first 45 between Spain and Georgia being so end-to-end...

...anyone else a bit knackered? :laughing:

Only because I keep dying to the final boss of The Void Rains Upon Her Heart :(

• Haha 2

Unlucky for Georgia, but they really showed their mettle this tournament and have really announced themselves on the international football stage. Would love to see them at the World Cup in 2026. There were times early on in this match where, although needing to ride out wave after wave of Spanish attacks, they really went toe-to-toe with them with how they utilised their counter – and I think might have just given other nations that Spain face in this tournament a bit of a template to work from. 

Spain were simply far too good for them tonight, though. Yamal, Williams, Olmo, Rodri, Fabian...all excellent performances. Curious to see who has picked up the MOTM? 

Spain v Germany on the weekend, then. Think I'd give Spain the edge because of how dynamic they are in approaching their attacks, despite dominating possession tonight it feels so far from tiki-taka. I also think Germany has some potential deadwood and multiple weak spots in their team from what we've seen so far – and Spain have a potential weakness when they face counters, but I also think trying to exploit that could open Germany up to a counter themselves with the threats Williams and Yamal offer on the wings. Germany also don't have a convincing defence, but I don't think anyone really has so far this tournament ::shrug:

Anyways, Spain v Georgia was easily the best of the first half of Ro16 matches. France v Belgium and Portugal v Slovenia tomorrow, then – hoping France can crush Belgium and struggle to see Portugal having a hard time against Slovenia. 

That Griezmann reverse ball to Kounde was beautiful. 

Could be an interesting game this. Belgium look like they're happy to sit back but France keep finding space and passes where they shouldn't be able to. 

EDIT: another clip to add to the collection of 'corners not given because the refs are blind'. Sort it out, come on guys. 

Edited by Julius