NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Unicorn Overlord (8th March 2024)

Thought this was total Final Fantasy Tactics bait...but Vanillaware means otherwise! 

From the creators of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and Odin Sphere, Unicorn Overlord shines in combining overworld exploration and an innovative battle system in the iconic Vanillaware style. Traverse the vibrant world, cultivate a grand army with over 60 uniquely designed characters, and grow your renown throughout the five nations in this unique epic fantasy experience!

Also coming to other platforms (listed in the tags)

Edited by Julius

I mean, this is Jonnas bait, if I ever saw some :heh: I appreciate the art style a lot, I must say, and the portfolio is trustworthy. Looking forward to its release.

Well, well. This seems like it'll be a good one. Unfortunately, it's another of those that's a poor demo because it's the start of the game—I had it on for about 90 mins and the gameplay to watching scenes ratio wasn't the best. I'd rather it dropped you into a few scenarios minus the excessive storytelling.

I could definitely get immersed in managing these troops. The menus and customisation look pretty overwhelming at first glance so there must be a good bit of depth to it. The knockbacks, stamina, toggling which of yours will act when you've more than one bearing down on an enemy, the way it forecasts the outcome before you commit, the valor moves. Not that any of this matters in the early going as encounters take care of themselves and it starts you off with a lvl 20 character to fall back on. I didn't use him as soon as I had more characters than I was allowed to deploy and they still waltzed to victory. I just plumped for the middle difficulty. I don't care about the story or setting but I'm sure I'd get into it as the game unfolds.

Very interested in this from the small taste I got of how the gameplay works. My main question would be the length because I'd be worried it's going to overshoot the sweet spot by 100 hours.

• Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this