NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Vampire Survivors

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

With any type of game with rogue elements its really about just finding a weapon and setup that suits you best. There will be a lot of trial and error until you find what works for you and your play style.

I fired it up yesterday and enjoyed what I played but did question just what I would get out of it. I liked that there was an in game achievement system as it would give me something to work towards should I decide to buy it. Is there even an end to the game or is it just a question of surviving as long as you can and that's it?

There is certainly a defined "end", which I won't spoil, but there's a seemingly endless amount of post-game content and DLC that continues to trickle in on a regular basis.

Completing all of the achievements and unlocking everything (as well as completing every task checkmark) is what people use to define "100% completion" in this game, and that'll take you a very long time to pull off.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

So I got this on the iPad as it was free when everyone was raving about it but just couldn’t get into it and would die within a few minutes. Decided to give it a go on Switch cause of the free trial, thought maybe using an actual controller may help. Well it certainly does, managed to last a lot longer and even break 10 minutes within a few tries. But damn, I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to powering up things and what to pick. Best I’ve found so far is to get the garlic power up item. Other than that I just end up running around avoiding things and just picking a new weapon. 
May decide to buy it one day. 

A good tip when starting out is to focus on only a few weapons and constantly upgrading those at every opportunity, rather than collecting lots of different ones and therefore having a bunch of weaker attacks.

Garlic is a great choice though, especially if you can combine it with the books that rotate around your character and the holy water. Get those 3 running simultaneously and powered up and you’ll be laughing. ;) 

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I fired it up yesterday and enjoyed what I played but did question just what I would get out of it. I liked that there was an in game achievement system as it would give me something to work towards should I decide to buy it. Is there even an end to the game or is it just a question of surviving as long as you can and that's it?

For most people (as has been mentioned) getting all the achievements is considered the end of the game. I have 100% completion on my Steam copy with around 50 hours playtime.

Not sure if it’s still the case, but they used to add new unlocks/achievements with each update and DLC which would lower your achievement percentage, a lot of people were complaining about that though so it might be done differently now. Personally it never bothered me much and I actually looked forward to unlocking the new ones each time, but obviously some people just want to reach the end and be done with the game.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Not sure if it’s still the case, but they used to add new unlocks/achievements with each update and DLC which would lower your achievement percentage, a lot of people were complaining about that though so it might be done differently now. Personally it never bothered me much and I actually looked forward to unlocking the new ones each time, but obviously some people just want to reach the end and be done with the game.

"Base Game Completion" is treated somewhat seperately from everything that was added after version 1.0 (it's not a seperate achievement list, but the game acknowledges the completion of all of the original achievements seperate from completing everything else; and also gives a particular noteworthy reward who I'm sure you're already well familiar with ;)).

I’ve managed to survive over 10 minutes now on a few occasions, but I’ve been struck down each time by the new wave.  I’ve no idea yet how to get past it, but I’m having a blast trying!

• Thanks 1

Nice to have the chance to try this on game trial. Did three attempts and got done in by the screen filling with skeletons every time. I suppose you have to just take the Ls and grind it for better starting abilities/ power ups/ characters. Not what I'm looking for right now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WackerJr said:

I’ve managed to survive over 10 minutes now on a few occasions, but I’ve been struck down each time by the new wave.  I’ve no idea yet how to get past it, but I’m having a blast trying!

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Nice to have the chance to try this on game trial. Did three attempts and got done in by the screen filling with skeletons every time. I suppose you have to just take the Ls and grind it for better starting abilities/ power ups/ characters. Not what I'm looking for right now.

I was in that boat a few days ago too. Played a bit more and taking hints from here about going after one weapon and upgrading, trying to get as many coins in a game I managed to upgrade a few items. Not sure if I just got better or if the Library level is just easy but get that unlocked. First time I played it I got to about 25 minutes and think I maxed out all my weapons. Racked up like 2,000 coins in the game too as I got some coin shower thing where killing enemies gave me coins. Played a couple more games and both time got to the 30 minute mark, I’m assuming what happens when you get there in unavoidable on normal levels. But each time I had all weapons maxed and was getting a bag of coins per level up which was like every 10 seconds, Garlic, Bible books and the healing item make it seem like you’re invincible. 
I think I’ll pay the £3.39 for this as it does make for a good hour time waster (yesterday I had wasted two hours just like that.)

• Thanks 1

Just bought the game after completing my first Hyper mode run. 

GJJBiDiW4AAApiV?format=jpg&name=medium

After you get past the starting few games and get some of the power ups powered up, the game really does start to shine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

When the boss appeared I thought I had a chance as I was constantly freezing it & pummeling it so it wasn’t getting to me. Then a second showed up!  I was somehow managing both of them before a third blighter showed up and demolished me!!! 😂

Well I feel as though I made the most of that trial.  By some miracle I managed to survive 30 minutes on one level once (library - thanks folks for your tips!).  

Frustratingly I’ve just realised that you could evolve items and I now understand how.  Oh well.

It’s great value for money and I can see why it’s so popular.  I don’t know if I’ll go back to it and get it, with the backlog I’m still working through.  I thoroughly enjoyed it this week although can see it getting a little repetitive after a short while and I don’t think I’d have the patience (or ability?) to unlock everything.  It’s a very satisfying game though!

• Thanks 2

PS4/PS5 version finally announced  for this Summer. Also, Contra DLC is on the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guns are easily one of the best weapons on base Vampire Survivors, so more guns can only be a good thing!

Man, that's a deep cut at the end.

Posted (edited)

Of all the Konami series to crossover with…

… of course it’s not Castlevania LMAO!

Also yes, THE GARLIC LOOKS LIKE BALLS! :D

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

… of course it’s not Castlevania LMAO!

Saving that for the final update. ;)
I actually think it's not completely impossible now, seeing as they've managed a Contra crossover! Hope so anyway, Castlevania DLC would seriously be the icing on the cake for this game. :cool:

13 hours ago, RedShell said:

Hope so anyway, Castlevania DLC would seriously be the icing on the cake for this game. :cool:

Wouldn't that completely ruin the joke though? Because if you had Castlevania in there, you'd have to have Alucard as a playable character, and that means there would be a vampire in this game.

55 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Wouldn't that completely ruin the joke though? Because if you had Castlevania in there, you'd have to have Alucard as a playable character, and that means there would be a vampire in this game.

At this rate, by the time they get around to the final DLC (if they ever do :heh:) most people probably won’t even remember that joke. :hehe: 

Anyway, will be interesting to see just how many content updates the game does eventually end up with, I get the feeling it’ll be quite a lot though.

Sign in to follow this